WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Does this look like rust to you? Tudor BB58

5K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Bob1087 
#1 ·
Tudor BB58. Purchased in June. Taken in ocean and pools, etc., but always wash it under freshwater afterwards, and have cleaned with soap and water a few times. Otherwise, I hardly take it off. Does this look like rust or other corrosion to you? Just noticed it, and I'm at work, so haven't had the chance to take it home and get after it with a toothbrush or similar. Any thoughts? Is the rust? Going to be a little upset if my 2-month old stainless watch is corroding...

Sorry for the crappy picture.

Metal Fashion accessory Silver

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Sea water will rust stainless steel, especially the unpolished surfaces, and where the corrosion is on the serrated area of the caseback is just where it might collect and do that sort of damage. I suspect it's fairly superficial, but if you take it in the sea, then you might expect this. How quickly afterwards did you wash it in fresh water? And are you sure you rinsed all the salt out of the caseback nooks and crannies?

#14 ·
Looks like corrosion to me. Stainless steel is corrosion resistant not corrosion proof. SS is an alloy made of iron with a minimum of 10.5% Chromium. Chromium produces a thin layer of oxide on the surface of the steel. This thin oxide layer is what protects against corrosion. Some common chemicals, salt being among them, can most definitely cause corrosion on stainless metal. I suspect that when you rinsed the watch some salt residue remained in the case back crevices. You’re going to need to stay on top of it now that it’s started.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the replies and insights, folks.

Good news is whatever it was came off with some scrubbing and a little bit of soap. Bad news is I still have no idea what it was. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few months and see if anything pops up again. I've definitely gotten my hands dirty wearing the watch, just racking my brain trying to think of anything that could've ended up with that tint. (Unless it was surface rust after all, but it came free pretty easily.)

After pic below.

View attachment 14397283

#17 ·
FWIW, when I buy a pack of new heads for my electric toothbrush, I set one aside for watch detail purposes. Color it with a sharpie so I don't get confused. The electric toothbrush works a treat and I just use whatever mild soap I have. Really gets in and gets the hard to reach areas, especially like where yours collected gunk.

#22 ·
And the conversation would be... "Oh, there was something in your watch?"
"Yes, but it's gone now."
"And then what do you want me to do?"
"Well, can you take a look at it?"
"Yes ok. Hmm seems you are right, there's nothing there. Will that be cash or credit?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#23 ·
Wet a finger and gently transfer a droplet onto your phone's camera lens. You are looking to create a standing bead of water over the lens... the slightly raised ring around the lens port should keep it in place.

Voila, instant macro lens for close-ups.

Just move your phone slowly and gently when taking photos, so the water bead doesn't slide off.

#27 ·
Tudor BB58. Purchased in June. Taken in ocean and pools, etc., but always wash it under freshwater afterwards, and have cleaned with soap and water a few times. Otherwise, I hardly take it off. Does this look like rust or other corrosion to you? Just noticed it, and I'm at work, so haven't had the chance to take it home and get after it with a toothbrush or similar. Any thoughts? Is the rust? Going to be a little upset if my 2-month old stainless watch is corroding...

View attachment 14394909
Hmmm, looks like rust. Did you buy this watch from a reputable AD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.