Does my two Tudors contain the same material in the hands?

Thread: Does my two Tudors contain the same material in the hands?

Question Does my two Tudors contain the same material in the hands?

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum, and I do already love it!
    I have a question that I hope I will get answered.

I have a Tudor 76200 which got a dial change in 2019, at the same time the AD changed the hands of the watch which followed the dial.
    The dial was bought from Tudor AD and is a pretty rare dial that occurred in some Tudor 76214. The dial cost about 1100 USD, including change of the dial.

I have also a Tudor Hydronaut 89190, bought 2010 in Hong Kong. The Hydronaut was introduced in 1999 and is the follower of Tudor Submariner. Tudor Submariners in the 90s used to have white gold hands.

I have realized that when sunshine hits the dials, then the hands of the watches reacts/reflects different. The hands of the day date reflects like a normal cheap Seiko Skx, but the Hydronaut reacts/reflects very beautifully.

So my question is, do you somebody here know what material is used in the hands of these two watches. Is it rhodium plated white gold, rhodium plated stainless steel or something else? The hands reacts/reflects different, so I guess they are made of different materials. I can't wear any gold, that is why i ask this question, and I hope somebody here has the answer. Or is it possible to contact Tudor in any way to get an answer from them?

Have a nice day. :)

Name:  Tudors.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  108.4 KBName:  tudor1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  73.7 KB

Re: Does my two Tudors contain the same material in the hands?

Nobody?

Quote Originally Posted by Tudde View Post
    <snip>
    ... my question is, do you somebody here know what material is used in the hands of these two watches. Is it rhodium plated white gold, rhodium plated stainless steel or something else?
    ::
    I can't wear any gold, that is why i ask this question, and I hope somebody here has the answer.
    Rhodium plated stainless steel. Wouldn’t be white gold.

On another note, you can’t wear any gold because of religious beliefs or allergy?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nobody?
    Somebody answered!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Rhodium plated stainless steel. Wouldn’t be white gold.

On another note, you can’t wear any gold because of religious beliefs or allergy?
    Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it. But I wonder how do you know that it is rhodium plated stainless steel? Is it anyway I can contact Tudor for 100% correct answer?

In my family we have since long been goldsmiths. Dad was a goldsmith, grandfather as well, etc. I took a different path and became a construction engineer.
    The reason I don't want gold in my watches is because I don't want to contribute to the gold industry.
    The gold industry is dirty, gold alloys are sold as pure gold, fake gold is sold as real gold, 14ct is sold as 18ct, etc.
    War is going on and people are being killed over gold mines, in some countries. In addition, working conditions in the gold mines are terrible.
    So that is the reason, but this is off-topic. :)

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it. But I wonder how do you know that it is rhodium plated stainless steel? Is it anyway I can contact Tudor for 100% correct answer?

In my family we have since long been goldsmiths. Dad was a goldsmith, grandfather as well, etc. I took a different path and became a construction engineer.
    The reason I don't want gold in my watches is because I don't want to contribute to the gold industry.
    The gold industry is dirty, gold alloys are sold as pure gold, fake gold is sold as real gold, 14ct is sold as 18ct, etc.
    War is going on and people are being killed over gold mines, in some countries. In addition, working conditions in the gold mines are terrible.
    Just to bear in mind... There's gold (amongst other conflict minerals) in your laptop and mobile phone. There is a small amount of gold leaf in the engravings of the movements if both of your watches. I appreciate your belief but either you go with it, or don't - "just a little bit is ok" doesn't really wash. How much is a little bit? And if gold doesn't tarnish on electrical connectors and that's acceptable, is it acceptable that they don't tarnish on the dial of a watch?

Okay, ok the subject of people being killed... then isn’t it worse with the diamonds on your Tudor Date-Day? Child labour, militias, etc in central Africa.

As for gold, I am very sure that there’s no gold in the indices and hands of the Tudor. If there was, it will be a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    Just to bear in mind... There's gold (amongst other conflict minerals) in your laptop and mobile phone. There is a small amount of gold leaf in the engravings of the movements if both of your watches. I appreciate your belief but either you go with it, or don't - "just a little bit is ok" doesn't really wash. How much is a little bit? And if gold doesn't tarnish on electrical connectors and that's acceptable, is it acceptable that they don't tarnish on the dial of a watch?
    Yeah probably I have to live in a cave if I want to avoid gold at all.
    But I want to make as little impact as possible. And for me it is a mystery that there is engravings of the movements in gold but no gold on the dial or in the hands. Why not put the gold on the dial/hands instead of somewhere where nobody sees? Are you sure it is real gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Okay, ok the subject of people being killed... then isn’t it worse with the diamonds on your Tudor Date-Day? Child labour, militias, etc in central Africa.

As for gold, I am very sure that there’s no gold in the indices and hands of the Tudor. If there was, it will be a Rolex.
    Yeah, that is true about the diamonds. But luckily I have the original dial left. I will probably change it back. But I have a special relationship to gold, since my dad was closed to be hanged in the 80s because of he was a goldsmith.

There was white gold in Tudor Submariners, and the Hydronaut is the follower of the Submariner. So therefore I think it could be white gold in the dial and hands.
    And if you look at my picture you will see there are differences between the reflection of the hands of the Hydranout vs the daydate. And for me it is a mystery that there is engravings of the movements in gold but no gold on the dial or in the hands...

Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    By the way, are you sure that it is engravings of gold in the movement? I do not think so?

Thread Information