Is an ETA Tudor my next step?
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Is an ETA Tudor my next step?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Is an ETA Tudor my next step?

Hi all,

I've been working on collecting "upward" (in terms of watchmaking rather than "prestige") for a couple years now—Victorionx to Glycine and Alpina to my current collection below—and I'm wondering if an ETA-based Tudor is the next step. My main question is: what does a Tudor with an ETA have over my ETA-based Baume and Tag (or even my GP-based Ebel)? Is it the case? The finishing? The connection with Rolex?

For context: I've also owned ETA based Omega (late-1990s Seamaster 120m) and Breitling (2000s colt). You can see that I've been hovering at the same level for awhile now, but am i really making a step up with Tudor or simply a step to the side? I make another side step to, say, Longines and save $$.

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks

Edit: Good points have been made here and elsewhere to the tune of "movements aren't everything." I agree and do not wish for this thread to be about movements alone.
    Last edited by IAvictorinox; April 8th, 2020 at 21:45.
    Londonboy likes this.
    Everyday: Tudor Prince Date (74000n) Dress: Baume & Mercier Malibu (MV045083) Casual: Ebel Type-E Auto (E9330C41) Sport: TAG Heuer 6000 (WH5115-2)

Quartz:
    Ebel Type-E (E9187C41) Beater: Filson Field Watch (20180078)

Instagram: @ebel_ution

Re: Is an ETA Tudor my next step?

No, but consider upgrading to an in house Tudor movement.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Tudor freaks (self included) consider Tudor with ETA more desirable based on its history an the original reason why Tudor brand was created.

In the long run expect to pay more for a good example with eta movement.

Also ETA parts can be found everywhere, Tudor in-house parts are controlled by Rolex.

60s,70s and early 80s Tudors use Case, bracelet,chrown from Rolex with eta movement instead of Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

FWIW, my BB ETA is one of the more accurate watches in my collection, and also one of the least expensive.
    IAvictorinox and MRWISENHIMER like this.

Why would you want to go with a Black Bay with an ETA movement? Paying more for a lesser movement doesn't make any sense to me personally.

My in-house Black Bay S&G is ridiculously accurate, gains only 0.5 spd since I got it 3 years ago.

If you're truly nostalgic and want a rose on the dial, get a real vintage.

+1

Name:  Tudor1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  367.4 KB

It depends on your budget. If you can reach 2.7/8k then go with in-house. You really won’t be getting any better value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mui.richard and IAvictorinox like this.
    Rich

They are the las of the breed, they are collectible already.

Value is subjective. This my BBN ETA

You question has perfect timing... I'm in the process of researching and acquiring a Tudor Pelagos which has also been made with ETA and In-house. The ETA movement version of the Pelagos is 1mm thinner than the in-house movement. But! The power reserve of the in-house is 70 hours, whereas the ETA is only 30-35 hours. Something to consider. I'm lucky in the fact I'm after a blue Pelagos, only offered in the in-house movement, so my decision between ETA and In-house was made for me. It is true ETA movement parts will be available forever and easily serviceable, but have you seen a picture of the Tudor in-house movement? Damn!

Name:  02-movement5612.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  69.3 KB
    IAvictorinox and mui.richard like this.

Here's my take. If you had any ties or passion for Tudor's heritage, I'd say buy the ETA. It's an amazing watch, the case thickness is better than the in house equivalent, bracelet is subjectively better (I actually like the rivet option if you can believe it), and the dial is much more interesting and actually matches the crown (btw Tudor why don't you just go to the shield crown already!). But the movement is certainly inferior, which isn't a negative for the ETA. The in-house is simply incredible, and if you don't have a soft spot for the heritage you will ultimately be disappointed with the ETA. Based on your watches, it sounds to me like you'd fall into the disappointed category.

I've had a number of Tudors recently, all due to me receiving my grandfather's watch late last year. I didn't know it existed and nobody in my family cares about watches, so it was given to me. That's my connection to Tudor and the Rose and smiley dial. And I will never get rid of my ETA (I actually had 2 for a while).

My suggestion is ABSOLUTELY get a Tudor. My suggestion for you, though, would be a Black Bay 58. I creeped your profile, and the watch would better suit your wrist size, and give you the in-house movement with an incredibly versatile watch.

Here was my collection not too long ago....Name:  20200121_222942_HDR.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  66.3 KB

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information