Explorer 2 Lume Question

Thread: Explorer 2 Lume Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Explorer 2 Lume Question

Recently picked up a 2019 Rolex Explorer 2 box + Papers from a reputable dealer. In looking at the watch it I notice that there appears to be uneven lume applied to the the 12 o'clock triangle. The area in the middle of the triangle is darker, grayish in regular light and doesn't glow as brightly in the dark as the rest of the indices. I have attached photos but it is difficult to see in pictures. It isn't difficult to see via the naked eye though and I have had a couple of people tell me what I am seeing is there, and that I am not losing my mind. I didn't take a loop to it because frankly I would never look at the watch through a loop so why get that picky? I am curious thoughif this is something to be concerned about or if this is somewhat normal? I tried to research it a bit and I see references here and there to uneven lume application but in the pictures I have found it looks much different from what I am seeing in my exampe.

If you look at my attached images I would look at the lume photo first for the darker area and then look at the non-lume photo and I think you will be able to sort of make out what I am talking about

Name:  Lume.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  35.7 KBName:  Normal.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  70.6 KB

Re: Explorer 2 Lume Question

Moved to a more appropriate sub-forum.

I'm not seeing it, but if it bothers you send it to the RSC for evaluation and a warranty repair if it's required.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
    Moved to a more appropriate sub-forum.

I'm not seeing it, but if it bothers you send it to the RSC for evaluation and a warranty repair if it's required.
    Same. I keep squinting at this and just don't see it. And this coming from a guy who thought his subc bezel was a 1/4 click off.
    Rolex Submariner 114060, Cartier Tank (wife), Universal Geneve Super Microtor, David Yurman Belmont Automatic, G-Shock DW5600E-1V

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Terranova1340 View Post
    Recently picked up a 2019 Rolex Explorer 2 box + Papers from a reputable dealer. In looking at the watch it I notice that there appears to be uneven lume applied to the the 12 o'clock triangle. The area in the middle of the triangle is darker, grayish in regular light and doesn't glow as brightly in the dark as the rest of the indices. I have attached photos but it is difficult to see in pictures. It isn't difficult to see via the naked eye though and I have had a couple of people tell me what I am seeing is there, and that I am not losing my mind. I didn't take a loop to it because frankly I would never look at the watch through a loop so why get that picky? I am curious thoughif this is something to be concerned about or if this is somewhat normal? I tried to research it a bit and I see references here and there to uneven lume application but in the pictures I have found it looks much different from what I am seeing in my exampe.

If you look at my attached images I would look at the lume photo first for the darker area and then look at the non-lume photo and I think you will be able to sort of make out what I am talking about
    Can't see it in the pictures, but since you can see it with the naked eye, you will always see it. I suggest to take it to a RSC and have the dial replaced under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Unce_Turbo_997 View Post
    Same. I keep squinting at this and just don't see it. And this coming from a guy who thought his subc bezel was a 1/4 click off.
    Hmmm... let's have a look at this bezel, shall we?

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. Like I said it is super difficult to see in photos. I spent an hour trying to get a photo of it and I just can't seem to get it to clearly come through. Might send it back to RSC might not. Really I thought it was sort of a reflection or a shadow when I first noticed it. Then I charged the lume and when I transitioned into a dark room it that initial pop made it stand out. So now that I know exactly where it is I see it. But I suspect I am being too picky. I have another watch(different brand) where the hour hand has a similar lume issue that is apparent when transitioning from light to dark settings considering this is the second time I have had a watch where I picked up on this I am starting to think it is a me problem. My GF doesn't see it on that watch but she does on this one but only after I pointed it out. So again I am leaning to its a me issue.

I believe you might be able to see it in the photo below, IF you look at the center of the triangle and go up and to the right its is grayer or darker than the outlining white area. This is the best I could get it to show up in a photo.

Name:  discolor.PNG
Views: 61
Size:  108.4 KB

The picture im looking at is 50x bigger than the watch itself albeit in low res & I cannot see anything wrong at all. Could it be that you "charged" the lume at an angle and saw a dull spot that was cast by the bezel or something. Thats happened to me recently. Im slightly colour blind and wanted to check the lume on my watch as it has blue and green lume. For starters I couldnt see the difference in colour but noticed a dark spot on 2 markers. Initially it was blind panic but on view no 2 it was 100% as I had put the watch in the window at an angle so the entire dial wasnt equally exposed to sunlight. I would say the turnaround at the service centre for something like this will take months once you factor in the current virus situation. Not sure I would want to say goodbye to my new watch so soon.

Sorry... I tried.

Can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terranova1340 View Post
    I believe you might be able to see it in the photo below, IF you look at the center of the triangle and go up and to the right its is grayer or darker than the outlining white area. This is the best I could get it to show up in a photo.

Name:  discolor.PNG
Views: 61
Size:  108.4 KB
    I can see it now. Looks like some gray material under the lume or in the lume.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information