Explorer II 16570 Bezel Replacement DIY help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eingram141

Thread: Explorer II 16570 Bezel Replacement DIY help

Hello Everyone.
    I have been reading up on replacing the 16570 bezel and have not had a ton of luck. I understand it is a larger undertaking than a rotating bezel GMT master or Sub because those references have a crystal locking ring under their bezels do protect the crystal from moving and gasket from being exposed or damaged.

So my question is: Does the 16570 have a locking/retaining ring for the crystal as well underneath? Or is 24hour-marked outer bezel also pressing the crystal in place underneath (all one piece)?
    Would I need a pressing tool to put the new expii bezel on? Basically If removing the expii bezel puts the water-proofness (?) at risk then i do not want to attempt.

Any pictures of the Expii 16570 case with the bezel removed would be also very helpful/answer my questions. Spent the whole morning trying to locate a picture of this with no luck.

As you can see the bezel does not need replacing, but I have a source for less nice spare that I would sub out to keep my original looking nice. But obviously thats more elective and not something id want to take to have done professionally.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Edited because I was wrong. The bezel does fit over the crystal retaining ring so isn’t pressed directly into the case as I wrote earlier. In fact I’ve now read that a 5 digit exp II can be converted into having a rotating GMT Master bezel as they have the same case.

I really don’t see the point in doing this anyway. Always the potential to damage something when doing this kind of swap that negates the point of it! My advice is leave well alone and just wear the thing!
    Last edited by hub6152; 2 Days Ago at 02:37.

Re: Explorer II 16570 Bezel Replacement DIY help

Hub6152, thanks for your response. I also read that about the case being the same as the Gmt BUT as the gmt bezel must be separate from the crystal retaining ring for the GMt bezel to turn... the Expii bezel does not need to turn so I am wanting to make sure that rolex did not just make the bezel and crystal ring one piece. Like I know on old acrylic datejusts, the bezel is what secures the crystal.
    And thanks for your advice on leavinng it alone, couldnt hurt for me to hear thats ;)
    hub6152 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What's your initial objective to change the bezel out? Did you want to make the Explorer II look like a GMT Master or you just wanted to save the bezel from scratches?

To replace an explorer ii bezel with and explorer ii bezel without risking pressure seal

Since you seem to have some questions on the right procedure, maybe you'd be better off leaving the job to a professional...
    "Every cat and dog deserves a loving home with a GS Tiffany Snowflake TM."

Thread Information