WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Explorer II Polar (16570) VS Yacht Master Platinum (16622)

16K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  HiggsBoson 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I feel like both these models are bit overlooked when compared to the Subs and the daytonas but there's something special about owning something that you so rarely see being worn out in the wild. Between these two white face dials which would you choose and why?
I own the yacht master 16622 but the Explorer II Polor was what I was eyeing from the beginning and I can't help but think of what could have been. So what do you guys think? Which is better?
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#4 ·
I personally am not a fan of the yacht master, I own a sub, and love dive watches, but the Yacht master bezel is a little too blingy, and again (in my opinion) the watch has an almost feminine look to it. I think the yacht master is just a little too “dressed up” for a daily wear watch.

I really like the 40mm Explorer, both for the GMT complication, as well as the overall design. For my money the explorer II is a hands down winner in this comparison. I also prefer the polar explorer lol to the black dial version.

#5 ·
I think the Yacht-Master is the more unique watch with the platinum dial and bezel. However the Explorer II has more history and an added complication with the GMT hand.

I bought a 16570 because I wanted the GMT and a more tool watch appearance (SS bezel, non polished center links). I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice and OP if money is not a concern I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a 16570 to add to your collection. As everyone likes to say buy what you like and enjoy it.

Reactions: Acey
#7 ·
It does seem like the explorer II is the popular choice over the yacht master. I guess the yacht master isn't quite as versatile as a explorer II and may only appeal to a certain crowd
OP, you are comparing 2 watches that are in 2 different leagues; the explorer 2 is the entry level sport Rolex, and the YM is on par with the Daytona price wise. The lack of popularity of the YM is in part due to its high price commanded by the Platinum bezel, which is part of the charm of this watch; don't forget, this is the only watch in the world that mixes Platinum and Steel (that I know of).

#8 ·
Brand new yes there is a pretty big price discrepancy but on the 2nd hand market that price gap narrows quite a bit . The yacht master is still more expensive but I haven’t yet seen anyone wanting to trade up to a yacht master , though I have seen a fair amount wanting to trade up to a sub . Considering the yacht master was thought of as the luxurious sub, it’s interesting that it hasn’t had much appeal even to the fanciest crowds

#9 · (Edited)
Brand new yes there is a pretty big price discrepancy but on the 2nd hand market that price gap narrows quite a bit . The yacht master is still more expensive but I haven't yet seen anyone wanting to trade up to a yacht master , though I have seen a fair amount wanting to trade up to a sub . Considering the yacht master was thought of as the luxurious sub, it's interesting that it hasn't had much appeal even to the fanciest crowds
When the Yacht Master was first introduced, it was a big hit back then for the people that could afford it. Being a lot more expensive than a Sub or a Gmt, it didn't gain any popularity, thus impacting its resale value. People who usually buy used are value conscient, and prefer less depreciating and more popular models for the eventuality of a flip. YM still has its crowd, but it's a lot smaller crowd than that of the Sub/Gmt.

Here is mine, it's not steel and platinum, but still a Yacht Master and I love that color combination

Footwear Shoe Brown Tan Boot

#11 ·
<snip>
...there's something special about owning something that you so rarely see being worn out in the wild. Between these two white face dials which would you choose and why?
::
I own the yacht master 16622 but the Explorer II Polor was what I was eyeing from the beginning and I can't help but think of what could have been. So what do you guys think? Which is better?
Personally, I would take the Yacht Master anytime. My view is that the YM is a luxurious watch with a tinge of sportiness. The Explorer II is a sports watch, period.

You can have that YM on your wrist and it will be at home in the marina or you can be out and about on the waters, sailing. The classy or some say "blingy" look of the YM will also do well in a smart casual, office environment setting without looking over done.

Unless you are Sir Richard Attenborough, I would suggest the YM. Just my thoughts...

#13 ·
Personally, I would take the Yacht Master anytime. My view is that the YM is a luxurious watch with a tinge of sportiness. The Explorer II is a sports watch, period.

You can have that YM on your wrist and it will be at home in the marina or you can be out and about on the waters, sailing. The classy or some say "blingy" look of the YM will also do well in a smart casual, office environment setting without looking over done.
I much prefer the Explorer II, but agree w/your view of the Yacht-Master v. Explorer II. The Yacht-Master strikes me as more of an up-sized Turn-O-Graph & both appeal to very different demographics than the Explorer II.

#12 ·
I love both of those watches. I would take either over a sub and I know im in the minority. I had a YM lined up last year. Had a deal set to go but I tried it on in the daylight and it was too sparkly for me. I dont want to consider which watch to wear when I go out so any of my watches are fine wherever I go. I felt the YM would attract unwanted attention in "more lively" areas so I passed on it. I felt it was a watch that was dependent on what you are wearing ie shorts and a t-shirt would make it look even more glitzy and incongruous so it needed to be worn with smarter clothing which im not a great fan of as im a scruff bag. I was gutted to be honest as I think its a beautiful watch in all versions but I just know it wouldnt get the wrist time it deserved. Thats where the Explorer is such a cool watch. It can go anwhere, looks smart with a shirt and wont attract the wrong sort of attention from people that can only spot 2 types of Rolex.

#16 ·
I think Rolex designed and marketed both watches just right: Explorer II is just a tough looking watch for exploration. As for the Sub, it's a classic looking diver and plays its part extremely well. The YM? A perfect watch, with stunning colors, while you sip champagne on the a boat, luxury watch for luxury activities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.