First watch purchase - Tudor Black Bay 58 - assistance please
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: First watch purchase - Tudor Black Bay 58 - assistance please

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

First watch purchase - Tudor Black Bay 58 - assistance please

Good day all,

I am about to go ahead and make a purchase of the brand new Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight on leather, with fabric strap included as an extra free of charge. I was able to find the last one at my local authorised distributor (a very reputable authorised jeweller/distributor) in my country in Australasia. They only have one left in stock - which I believe is true and not a sales tactic - they have been very upfront and honest with me.

This will be my first luxury watch purchase. I have medium (average?) sized wrists (circumference 7.25") and I felt size was important, so wanting the 39mm diameter versus the 41mm.

They are asking the equivalent of $3058.98 USD in my currency, the fabric strap with the gold centre strip included free of charge (which they state is made in France and is approx. $180 USD.

My questions are:

- Are these watches really this difficult to find? The AD told me that there are usually long waiting lists around the world for this model;
    - Is this a fair price for this watch, brand new?
    - Will this be a good first watch? I have read excellent reviews on research but will love to hear current opinions and thoughts on this model

Overall, I love the look of this watch, especially on the gold/black fabric strap, (never been a one for steel links), and by all evidence it seems to be an excellent model, especially with its in house movement (being made by essentially 'Rolex' if I understand correctly?)

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance

Regards

D
    Catto likes this.

Re: First watch purchase - Tudor Black Bay 58 - assistance please

To answer your questions:

1) yes and no? They were definitely hard to find in the first year they came out but my AD had one recently. It seems they are getting more in stock. Tudor "wait lists" are nothing in comparison to Rolex.

2) That's a pretty good price on a leather strap. I would honestly think about getting it on a bracelet. I know you mentioned you're not a fan of them but I would reconsider.

3) It's an excellent first watch. It's what submariners used to be if that's something you care about. The BB58 has been reviewed to death for a reason. As far as in house movement, it's not a Rolex nor will it ever be. Although it has ties to the crown, it's a very separate brand nowadays.

Hopefully more knowledgeable people can chime in
    |Ω

Quote Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
    To answer your questions:

1) yes and no? They were definitely hard to find in the first year they came out but my AD had one recently. It seems they are getting more in stock. Tudor "wait lists" are nothing in comparison to Rolex.

2) That's a pretty good price on a leather strap. I would honestly think about getting it on a bracelet. I know you mentioned you're not a fan of them but I would reconsider.

3) It's an excellent first watch. It's what submariners used to be if that's something you care about. The BB58 has been reviewed to death for a reason. As far as in house movement, it's not a Rolex nor will it ever be. Although it has ties to the crown, it's a very separate brand nowadays.

Hopefully more knowledgeable people can chime in
    Many thanks. Unfortunately they don't have any bracelets in stock nor have any other BB58's in stock with the bracelet - this is the last one on leather (they checked all their stores across their country and I reserved this one on leather). They will however be providing me with a fabric strap free of charge. Sorry, but I'm just not big on stainless steel links - I've never found them comfortable (but prior to this I've only owned Seiko watches (they are great watches though).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The price is great for brand new from AD. So if you are not gonna wear the bracelet anyway, I would go for it.

It has the correct size for many types of wrists, great aesthetics and colour combination. There is almost nothing to fault about the watch, and if there is, its purely a personal standpoint.

The watch is great, with inhouse movement, great material, has vintage x modern vibe to it, and 20mm lud width is great to swap straps and NATO.

Its hard to find another watch that can match it from a spec to spec standpoint at what they are offering.

However if you want to delve into other brands and other sizes, then you can start considering a whole lot more alternatives which I doubt you want to hear, and I doubt I want to start discussing either hahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bracelet version is harder to find than the one on the strap. Demand was initially heavy for this watch, and whilst supply is still limited in places, in the UK most ADs will be able to get you one in a short space of time and some will have it in stock now.

I can't comment on price in your country, but expect to pay RRP or close to it, so if you get a discount, then you've done well

As for a first watch, I don't believe there is any better value watch out there at the moment in this bracket. The price tag on the BB58 is out of all proportion to what you get (power reserve, in-house movement, Rolex quality build and finishing, etc.). Nothing else comes close in my opinion.

Great watch, perfect dimensions, but as others have stated one to buy on a bracelet first off, and then put it on an aftermarket leather or fabric if that is your choice.

The bracelet is what makes them hard to find apparently, and are enormously expensive to buy aftermarket.

You will find one on a bracelet if you look, and I would think demand is at a low spot at the moment making it easier.
    Last edited by bigclive2011; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:54.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

it was my first 'real' watch as well (end of 2019). Still love it everyday

I bought it on leather for 2800euro. I thought I wasnt big on steel either but I really wish I had waited a bit longer for the bracelet version. You have to keep in mind that you can't get it wet on leather.. also sweat is not recommended.. I live in Netherlands and have only worn it in a colder climate and already started to feel it was getting a bit funky.. You will defintely have to replace the leather in a few years (probably 200ish for just the leather strap without buckle)..

There are good rubber options and strapcode makes a great bracelet for the BB58 though

still I'd wait for steel; even if its for resell value. Wouldnt touch a used leather strap (gross)

Quote Originally Posted by DomTheOtter View Post
    Good day all,

I am about to go ahead and make a purchase of the brand new Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight on leather, with fabric strap included as an extra free of charge. I was able to find the last one at my local authorised distributor (a very reputable authorised jeweller/distributor) in my country in Australasia. They only have one left in stock - which I believe is true and not a sales tactic - they have been very upfront and honest with me.

This will be my first luxury watch purchase. I have medium (average?) sized wrists (circumference 7.25") and I felt size was important, so wanting the 39mm diameter versus the 41mm.

They are asking the equivalent of $3058.98 USD in my currency, the fabric strap with the gold centre strip included free of charge (which they state is made in France and is approx. $180 USD.

My questions are:

- Are these watches really this difficult to find? The AD told me that there are usually long waiting lists around the world for this model;
    - Will this be a good first watch? I have read excellent reviews on research but will love to hear current opinions and thoughts on this model

Overall, I love the look of this watch, especially on the gold/black fabric strap, (never been a one for steel links), and by all evidence it seems to be an excellent model, especially with its in house movement (being made by essentially 'Rolex' if I understand correctly?)

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance

Regards

D
    Ah... a friend from across the Tasman sea.

My advice is to buy it. You wonít get a better deal for that price. It wears well on the fabric strap. The answers to your questions are:

Q1) Are these watches really this difficult to find? The AD told me that there are usually long waiting lists around the world for this model;
    [answer]
    In New Zealand, that is probably true.

Q2) Is this a fair price for this watch, brand new?
    [answer]
    Absolutely!

Q3) Will this be a good first watch?
    [answer]
    Absolutely!

It will end up being your daily wearer and there wonít be another watch you will be interested in for a while....
    KiwiWomble likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Ah... a friend from across the Tasman sea.

My advice is to buy it. You won’t get a better deal for that price. It wears well on the fabric strap. The answers to your questions are:

Q1) Are these watches really this difficult to find? The AD told me that there are usually long waiting lists around the world for this model;
    [answer]
    In New Zealand, that is probably true.

Q2) Is this a fair price for this watch, brand new?
    [answer]
    Absolutely!

Q3) Will this be a good first watch?
    [answer]
    Absolutely!

It will end up being your daily wearer and there won’t be another watch you will be interested in for a while....
    there will be many other watches you will be interested in

then you look at your 58 and realize that you already got what you wanted and you can resist scratching the itch easily

Quote Originally Posted by DomTheOtter View Post
    Good day all,

Kia ora Dom - sounds like Level 3 is working out for you!

In terms of your questions, Iíd say
    - in Sydney I was told in January that thereís a waiting list, and itís full, so they werenít even taking names any more, so well done finding one at all;
    - seems like a decent price, I wouldnít expect a discount on it;
    - as good a first (serious) watch as any Iíd say, unless youíre likely to lose it somewhere. (Donít leave it behind on a towel at the gym like my ex-wife did once, for example! Or at least, make sure you list it on your insurance.)

I saw one on Toronto on the leather in February, no discount available, and that settled two things for me: one, that itís a really lovely watch that I want badly; and two, that I really didnít like the leather band/clasp combo it comes on, so Iíll hang on until I can find the bracelet (and the money).

Best regards to Aotearoa,
    R

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information