GMT II feels tight when winding

Thread: GMT II feels tight when winding

GMT II feels tight when winding

All,

i have a Coke 16710 GMT II from 1989. Beautiful watch but I donít wear it very often so Iím donít really know itís . I wore it the other day and when I went to wind it I thought it felt odd. The crown is somewhat hard to spin and will actually rotate backwards when I let go of it when Iím winding it. It is keeping perfect time and the other two positions feel normal wherever Iím setting the time/date. So Iím just trying to find out if this is normal behavior. I havenít let it run down again so maybe itís fully wound but I think it was tight when I first wound it. It almost feels like Iím winding a rubber band. My Panerai does something similar and will basically snap back when fully wound but none of my other watches feel/act like this.

Thanks!

Doesn't sound like a happy watch. Whilst I have no confidence to even open a watch up to understand why, my 20yr old sub is very smooth at winding. More so than a 1yo explorer. May be worth putting it in front of a skilled watch person

Re: GMT II feels tight when winding

It’s a very happy watch if a watch could be happy, which it can’t because it’s an object without feelings. Stop over hand winding it and it will be fine, same with the PAM. As soon as I get to a resistance feeling I stop. I know roughly how many turns my Omega or PAM hand winders are and go carefully around this point. With Rolex from stopped I usually give 20-30 turns and that’s it. Self winding will do the rest.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: GMT II feels tight when winding

Thanks guys.

As far as “over” winding goes I don’t think that’s possible. I understand what you mean but to me that’s kinda like saying my new car shakes when I go above 50 mph and the dealer then saying then drive under 50 and you’ll be fine.

My PAM is a 112 so it is fully manual and will not let you wind it further. The Seikos you can usually feel when they are wound enough and the Omegas have an actual stop as well.

If the watch should wind totally smoothly (which I’m pretty sure it should but doesn’t) then I’ll send it back for repair. I was just trying to get a baseline to see if a Rolex should feel like this normally since I don’t have another one to compare it with.

Thread Information