Grail at an AD
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Grail at an AD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grail at an AD

I think it would be fair to say that the GMT Master II Pepsi and the Black/White face Daytona’s are a grail for many enthusiasts.

How many owners acquired theirs through stumbling upon one during a trip to the AD and what was your feeling when you saw it? I’d imagine most get the call but I know some ADs prefer to operate on a first come first serve basis.

Re: Grail at an AD

I’ve never been on a list for a watch, but my AD generally knows what I like and calls me to announce they have certain watches like the specific models you mentioned.

For years I've been on the hunt for steel sports at ADs all over the US. I've been to a total of 49 ADs across 14 states, I've been 10s of times to many of them over time.

This is the list of stainless steel professional models I've seen in person in AD watch cases in the last 3 years:

- Rolex Explorer I
    - Rolex Explorer II (black and white dial)
    - Rolex Milgauss (black dial with green zapire crystal)
    - Yachtmaster I (in all the dial colors that have come out in the last 5 years)
    - Yachtmaster II
    - Submariner Date (black dial)
    - Sea-Dweller

I have not seen even one professional Rolex watch in stainless steel in the last 8 months at any AD. Professional Rolex watches have become quite scarce in the last couple of years and it feels to me personally that it is getting way worse.

I have only gotten professional models via AD call but never getting lucky at the AD in person... sad!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MONTANTK View Post
    I think it would be fair to say that the GMT Master II Pepsi and the Black/White face Daytona’s are a grail for many enthusiasts.

How many owners acquired theirs through stumbling upon one during a trip to the AD and what was your feeling when you saw it? I’d imagine most get the call but I know some ADs prefer to operate on a first come first serve basis.
    Never have stumbled across sought after SS models at AD. My AD has always called me to come pick up the watches:

BLRO
    Daytona white
    Daytona black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stumbled upon both my SubC and my BLNR. Lucky duck, I suppose.

This would be akin to finding $5000 in a paper bag on the ground while out on a walk. The most I've ever picked up was $20.
    One-Seventy and SLWoodster like this.

I have access to ten AD locations within a 2 hour driving radius, and the only models I haven't had on-the-spot access to by simply walking in and asking are the polar Explorer II, blue Skydweller, and Pepsa GMT Master II. FWIW, I have no interest in the last two.
    Last edited by qa_ii; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:01.
    Current Lineup: TBD
    Rolex Submariner 116613LN Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Omega Speedmaster '57 Omega Seamaster 300M 44MM GMT Chronograph
    Breitling Galactic Unitime Sleek T World Timer Breitling Avenger II Chronograph
    Marathon US Government GSAR Tissot T-Touch Expert, All Titanium
    Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual AT CB0000-57E TBD

Quote Originally Posted by qa_ii View Post
    I have access to ten AD locations within a 2 hour driving radius, and the only model I haven't had on-the-spot acces to by simply walking in and asking are the polar Explorer II, blue Slydweller, and Pepsa GMT Master II. FWIW, I have no interest in the last two.
    Personally I would love have the Pepsi GMT Master II as my first Rolex but I think it’s going to be quite a task finding one at an AD. I have one AD here in Buffalo and there are 2 towards Syracuse and Ithaca. I’d definitely make the drive to Pittsburgh if one came up but I think I’ll end up going with an OP or a DJ

In the fall of 2017 my AD had almost everything in the sport models: Hulk, BLNR, GMTII, Explorer 1 and 2(both colors), Bluesy SuB, Sub date and no date, YM, Seadweller DS and 4K, and Air King. All at MSRP. They even had a gold with black dial Daytona. The all gold Daytona was used and just had a full factory service(a prerequisite for consignment sale at this AD) , and it was being offered at 10K. Of course, at that time I didn't realize the value and history of the watch. I could have purchased a Hulk and a gold Daytona for under 20K! Two months later, the AD only a had 4K SD, explorers, GMT, and YM. Bought the Sea-Dweller and Explorer 1. The Ad stopped their Rolex connection shortly after that.

Ceramic Pepsis and Daytonas have never been in the cases.

I still entertain the fantasy of finding a Panda at Costco, for some reason. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information