WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Has Tudor fixed the date change issue on the newer GMTs?

14K views 84 replies 38 participants last post by  chronomanic 
#1 ·
Just wondering if the newer gmts are having the same date change issue?

My friend is thinking of purchasing.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
No one will ever know what that issue was but its bound to be something very small in the manufacturing process. Officially they haven't ever had an issue but im sure they fixed it pretty quickly. Its in everyones interest Tudor AND their customers to resolve issues pretty quickly. From memory, Omega had an issue with their POs a few years back. Something to do with lubrication? for a short period there were lots of complaints about the PO as if the entire range was somehow corrupt and had a design fault etc but it was resolved very quickly and the PO didnt suffer long term. Mine was one of those affected and it did take the shine off it for a few weeks but it came back from the SC and never skipped a beat after that. In short, if you ARE unlucky with the date issue, it WILL be resolved. From what I've seen around here, the issue doesnt seem to have cropped up in the past few months.

#6 ·
Has there been a concrete answer on what part was actually at fault in the movement? I just keep reading reports of 'New movement installed' and the old 'over lubricated'.
I was keen to pick one up on the used market (because of being located in Australia, GMTs and 58's are still short supplied), but the idea of the unknown and possibility of being out of the warranty period and the date issue arises leaves me always second guessing picking up another one. I think I will wait until they are readily available in Ad's to even consider it again. Hopefully will be sorted by then [emoji14]
It's a great looking watch though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#7 ·
There will never be a concrete answer. Imagine Tudor putting out a press release or update on their site along the lines of "we have found a small issue with a batch of early movements in our GMT which has now been rectified" In the world we're living in now with the internet idiot factor, you would have people walking into ADs with this "Proof" asking for a free service on their Fast rider/north flag etc. I think Tudor are pretty sympathetic out of warranty. There was a lume issue on some early Pelagos bezels and people were reporting free repairs/replacement out of warranty. The GMT shortage isnt just Australia either, I think the fabric strap version is a little easier to get in the UK but the bracelet option seems very hard. A cynic would say thats intentional as the after market price of the bracelet is pretty steep. To think only 3 years ago they were supplying a fabric strap with the bracelet.

#9 ·
I still see people complaining of the same problem, so I’m gonna go with no.

Bout time they fessed up to a problem with the model and sorted it out, Helson got a lot of stick on here with there recent faulty seal issue, but they put their hands up and swapped out all the faulty watches with no argument.

An example of a small company showing the Prince how it should be done.

Reactions: ck13
#11 · (Edited)
Been reading multiple issues as well. Some state the same issue even after returning.

#14 ·
I have mine since quite early in the year....my AD said only the first batch was affected and mine did not come from that batch but from a fresh one. So far - I had no date issues in the few months of ownership - not while wearing or on the winder. Knocking on wood.

#16 ·
My serial number is 1762*** and so far it's performed perfectly. +1 second per day on or off the wrist.

I must say mine is too performing extremely well. It's pretty phenomenal if you think about it.

Reactions: powerband
#20 ·
Bought my GMT Thursday of last week. Made it to Sunday then the date started sticking halfway between two dates. It's happened now two days in a row. Looks like Tudor did not fix the problem in the new batches. The AD was flummoxed, and I'm calling the RSC today. Any advice? I'm going to push for a new movement over the "fix" that Tudor has been offering, which seems to be temporary.

#21 ·
I would take a shot at your AD selling you an older version but we'll never know. Personally I would just go and get my money back. Its not worth the hassle of returning it and waiting for Rolex to repair it. You'll be waiting for 6 weeks at least. Unless the AD has another GMT in stock and he wont offer that unless youre asking for your money back! Not a great position for you to be in as youve clearly waited to source a GMT but its horrible waiting for your new watch only to return it but I would never accept a repair on a new watch.

#30 ·
They can prioritize some repairs. Mine took four weeks and failed again immediately. It's back getting a new movement.
This is exactly what I'm worried about. I've read them the riot act about this "fix" and they don't really respond. They just say it will go through testing and it's a lubrication issue. It's very annoying when a company is so opaque about things like this.

#32 ·
I've had mine for over a year, but recently 2.5 months of that it spent at RSC in Dallas. Back for 16 days and so far date working fine again. The times mine has malfunctioned in the first nine months was always around the 25th. At least I've passed that mark this time.

#42 ·
Mine purchased December 2018 showed the first date change issue in October 2019 - it’s in Switzerland at the moment, should have it back before Christmas.

My point: it might take quite a while to show up. I truly hope that current models have this issue fixed right of the production line.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.