WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Have an opportunity to get a 7928, need some advice...

762 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dg8dg7 
#1 ·
So my local watch repair has a Tudor Submariner 7928 on consignment at a great price. I took a look at it today and its beautiful (really a grail watch for myself). However, the case is banged up pretty good, the dial and hands have been relumed (albeit incredibly well), and when I turned the bezel it just slid and had no bezel "click" whatsoever.

Its a bit out of my price range, but low enough that I could make something happen (~4K USD). Question is, what is the value like with a non-functioning bezel and dial relume? I am completely in the dark on how much this should affect the sale price, so can't tell if it's worth pulling the trigger. Any advice for this newbie?

Side note - this would take my funds that I was planning on using to get a 79220/70330b, so there's that to consider.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hands relume is not too much of a downer. The dial on the other hand will take a mayor chunk of the value.

Bezel on vintage Tudor/Rolex does not click. It has a friction spring underneath that keeps is tight. Friction spring is easy to get from Rolex or aftermarket.

4K seems like a good price (steal at today’s prices). But first take pictures and post them here.

Major concerns 1) original not repainted dail, 2) original bezel insert, 3) original bracelet. 4) original hands (relumed hands ok but lowers value a little 5) original case (not aftermarket on original movement).

#3 ·
Hands relume is not too much of a downer. The dial on the other hand will take a mayor chunk of the value.

Bezel on vintage Tudor/Rolex does not click. It has a friction spring underneath that keeps is tight. Friction spring is easy to get from Rolex or aftermarket.

4K seems like a good price (steal at today's prices). But first take pictures and post them here.

Major concerns 1) original not repainted dail, 2) original bezel insert, 3) original bracelet. 4) original hands (relumed hands ok but lowers value a little 5) original case (not aftermarket on original movement).
Thank you for the response! Very interesting, as I had no idea that these older ones used friction springs.

Well, I popped by for a better look at the watch today, and turns out it's actually a 7016/0 model with the small rose right before they changed to the snowflake (which is why I thought it was a 7928 at first). Dial and hands were relumed, new crystal, and (good call on the bezel) the bezel is aftermarket unfortunately. Comes on leather so no bracelet either. Otherwise a nice watch and was just serviced with the 2483 movement.

I think I'm going to hold out for the black bay, but man oh man is this one still pretty tempting. Tons of character!

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
There are soo many 7016 fakes... we will need to see the side, inner case back engravings and movement pictures with rotor in different positions to give better judgement... from what I can see I'll run away...

Dial is retouched or aftermarket. Retouched dials in 7016 and 9411 are common because Tudor dials were defective during some periods.

This a authentic dial from a 9411 that is flaking off

ChronoLigne.com

#5 ·
Wow that is very cool, I didn't realize the dials flaked like that. I've actually got some shots of the case and movement I might pm you for your thoughts if you don't mind. I think the case and movement are genuine, but agree that the dial has been refinished at the very least. I thought it was just the indices at first but the "Tudor" has clearly been done.

I think I'll hold off regardless, as I do already have a vintage oysterdate and can't stop thinking about a Black Bay!

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.