WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help a guy out - 72990r or 70330b?

965 views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  MrSmithson 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forums and wanted to ask for some advice. Ive been saving for a long time for my first luxury watch, and always had my eyes set on a Tudor. For whatever reason, I have always loved the design of their watches and finally resolved last year to one day acquire one. I thought I was dead set on the black bay, but wandered into an AD yesterday and saw the Monte Carlo heritage chrono in blue. It's always been off the table for me as it is significantly more money, and I just don't have that much to spend (young family guy here). Well wouldnt you know that the AD offered a pretty smokin deal on it. I didn't even ask, but he offered a reduced price that got me thinking about the idea of saving a bit more and going for it instead.

So help a guy out. The black bay heritage ETA red bezel or the heritage chrono in blue? Yes, I know only my opinion matters, and completely different watches, and yada yada yada, but I would love to hear from owners what they think. I like to make informed decisions and this is a huge potential buy for me. I'm not flush on cash and would really have to save to get there, so which watch should be my target?

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi All,

New to the forums and wanted to ask for some advice. Ive been saving for a long time for my first luxury watch, and always had my eyes set on a Tudor. For whatever reason, I have always loved the design of their watches and finally resolved last year to one day acquire one. I thought I was dead set on the black bay, but wandered into an AD yesterday and saw the Monte Carlo heritage chrono in blue. It's always been off the table for me as it is significantly more money, and I just don't have that much to spend (young family guy here). Well wouldnt you know that the AD offered a pretty smokin deal on it. I didn't even ask, but he offered a reduced price that got me thinking about the idea of saving a bit more and going for it instead.
Firstly, welcome to the forums.

One needs to understand what your current collection is and what your lean is in order to answer your question.

Both watches draw design inspiration from their older heritage models and it really boils down to if you want a dive watch or a chrono.

Both watches are beautiful in my opinion. I went with the BBR as I bought a Speedmaster and also have a few other chrono watches, but do not have one with a coloured dial and the gilt/gold hands and indices. Choice was easy for me.

If you already have a few three hands and have not had a chrono watch; then yes, you should consider the Monte Carlo.

The heritage chrono are not big sellers so you can get a substantial discount on it but it also means that resale value is lower. However, we are only talking about a few hundred dollars at that price point. In the end, which one tugs your heart strings? The dive watch or chrono?

Of course the other alternative is to buy both. Get one from an AD and another used from the sales section here. I see plenty of BB up for sale but seldom a Monte Carlo as there are not many out there...

#6 ·
Firstly, welcome to the forums.

One needs to understand what your current collection is and what your lean is in order to answer your question.

Both watches draw design inspiration from their older heritage models and it really boils down to if you want a dive watch or a chrono.

Both watches are beautiful in my opinion. I went with the BBR as I bought a Speedmaster and also have a few other chrono watches, but do not have one with a coloured dial and the gilt/gold hands and indices. Choice was easy for me.

If you already have a few three hands and have not had a chrono watch; then yes, you should consider the Monte Carlo.
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback! My collection is actually pretty sparce and not all that impressive. I've got a Sarb035 and a skeleton bulova my wife got me years ago, and most recently inherited an old Tudor prince oysterdate (I actually just got it today repaired and finally running for the first time). So nothing in either the chrono or sub category.

It does sound like we have similar taste though, as I never liked chronos until I saw the Speedie Profs and I just love them now. But maybe it's the Tudor I inherited, but Ive always loved tudors. It was a black bay for years but then I saw this Monte Carlo and now..... Ugh I see how you guys get these crazy watch collections going. I guess it's that I will likely only really be able to save for one. The other couldn't happen for a pretty long time with my family commitments. Resale isnt an issue for me, as I'm buying for keeps. I want to be proud saving for a significant purchase like that, and wear it like a watch is meant to be.

Really appreciate the follow up, and I think you are right: I need to decide on whether I want a diver or a chrono and use that as my decision tree.

#9 ·
Go for the Black bay. Those funky dials are great for the first few weeks but after a while they can be a bit jarring if youre wearing the watch every day. As part of a rotation the chrono is a really cool watch though. The BB still has a pop of colour but its more reserved and can be paired with clothing a bit easier than the chrono. If secondary value and potential rarity is a consideration, the black bay also has the edge. They no longer produce a BB with the Tudor rose logo and it has a slightly thinner case than the current BB and NO rivets on the bracelet. That alone makes the original better than the in house in my eyes. The price of the ETA BB is definitely on the rise. Its not uncommon to see them for close to £3000. A few years ago they were around £1700. In contrast, ive seen the chrono for sale in quite a few places and theyre often discounted (your recent AD experience backs this up). Best of luck finding your next watch

#10 ·
This is great advice, so thanks for it! You raise a good point, and I'm thinking just for robust wearability the black bay is the way I'm leaning. I think you are all correct in that as a second watch, the chrono would be cool, but as my first (and likely only lol) luxury watch the black bay eta is the way to go. Thanks again for the awesome advice!

Also..... Now Im considering a local Tudor 7928 sub lol

#17 ·
Absolutely did. I actually got the bracelet, leather, and nato strap in the deal. Absolutely love the NATO's and totally agree that they are world class. I actually am thinking about picking up a red one down the road too!

#19 ·
Having a heritage chrono; I would highly recommend it as its durable, funky, and a fun watch overall.

Or go with a black bay, would suggest the 58 but thats up to your taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.