WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hesitant to wear (purchase) a Rolex.

63K views 422 replies 173 participants last post by  TheGreekPhysique 
#1 ·
Has anyone here had to overcome a hesitancy to wear a Rolex on a regular basis because they were worried that it might give the wrong impression in the workplace?

For me, I work in an office setting full of engineers and other professionals, some with master's degrees and PhDs. But I have NEVER noticed anyone wearing a luxury watch. I wear a Speedmaster Automatic most days and I feel it flies under the radar and I don't feel self-conscience about it. I wonder if wearing a Rolex would give a bad impression though. But I really would like to buy and have a Rolex, but only if I could justify wearing it on a regular basis.

Am I being silly and over-concerned?

P.S. my boss doesn't even wear a watch and his boss wears an Apple Watch.

#2 ·
I never had an ounce of hesitancy.....
I bought my first one a long time ago, but it was a stainless-steel Submariner.
I've never discussed the watches I wear with folks willy-nilly....may seem boring and pretentious.
However, the world is upside down and the LAST thing I'd worry about is which watch I was wearing.
Or if a bunch of nit-wits love it or resent it or even notice it at all.
You'l be fine....buy it and wear it!
:-d |>

#3 · (Edited)
I've been wearing a Rolex at work for six months. As far as I can tell, nobody has noticed yet. That includes the handful of people I know to be watch guys. For my part, I was blissfully ignorant of a colleague having worn at TT DJ36 for 25 years until it peeked out from under his sleeve one day and I asked him about it.

Added: office environment similar to the OP's

#5 ·
You'd be surprised how little people care about the watch you're wearing. The only people who notice are other watch geeks and thieves. Given your work place I really don't think a Rolex will stand out. Unless, of course, it's a blinged out gold Datejust with diamonds and fluted bezel.

People might not want to contribute to a person wearing a blinged out Day-Date who works at a nonprofit or place asking for donations. So I can understand not wanting to wear a watch like that in that situation.

If you do get one just don't be self conscious about it. Wear it like any other watch. If you keep staring at it throughout the day (I've been guilty of that), then people might notice you doing that. LOL. If you get a compliment on it just say thanks. If someone thinks it cost a lot of money just say I work hard and save for what I want. But either way, just enjoy that you can afford it and you like it. Wear it for you.

#8 ·
You'd be surprised how little people care about the watch you're wearing. The only people who notice are other watch geeks and thieves. Given your work place I really don't think a Rolex will stand out. Unless, of course, it's a blinged out gold Datejust with diamonds and fluted bezel.

People might not want to contribute to a person wearing a blinged out Day-Date who works at a nonprofit or place asking for donations. So I can understand not wanting to wear a watch like that in that situation.

If you do get one just don't be self conscious about it. Wear it like any other watch. If you keep staring at it throughout the day (I've been guilty of that), then people might notice you doing that. LOL. If you get a compliment on it just say thanks. If someone thinks it cost a lot of money just say I work hard and save for what I want. But either way, just enjoy that you can afford it and you like it. Wear it for you.
This ^

Buy it and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Buy it, wear it, own them. [emoji106]

Do not be afraid. Once you wear a Rolex, doors will open and promotions will come your way. Walk tall and you will soon be ordering your engineers, PhD engineers around.

All the girls in the office will be admiring you and you will get request for dates from all the hot chicks.

Live the life of a Man of Rolex.

#48 ·
Can confirm. Wore an Omega for years, got barked at by the engineers and PhDs and the chicks rolled their eyes at me.

Just got a Pepsi GMT, and I already got offered a corner office and the secretary invited me over for dinner tonight?

Go on then mate, go be a Rolex man with the rest of us.

#9 ·
No.
Loving watches doesn't make one an elitist. It makes you a hobbyist. Regardless your wealth, enjoy your watch(es). If someone judges for your watch (in any regard), I'd rather think they're a shallow person.
You're on a watch forum OP, I'm going to opine that you're not into Rolex for the glory, but because it's a hell of a watch. Regardless, glory/hell of a watch, wear it proudly, you've earned it :)

#13 ·
Thanks for the Pep talk!

Now I just have to decide on which one. I know where I can get an early '80s Blue Dial Turned Bezel Datejust or I save up for a 36mm OP Blue Dial 3-6-9 markers from an AD. I know there are pros and cons to each.
There's also a blue dial Turnograph 116264, if you want something a little sporty in between the OP and DJ.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and say ppl do notice it. I have a similar work environment with OP, there's this one technician that wears a modern sub. Everyone noticed it. Conversations were made about it behind his back, sometimes flattering, sometimes not. I regularly wear my Speedy to work, most ppl that noticed it are WIS ppl as well. No one noticed my Explorer ever. My colleague made a comment about my 5 digit sub the first day I wore it to work. He was seated next to me for lunch, figured the Rolex must be expensive, probably around one to two thousand dollars. I just smiled politely. So short answer, depends on which model. Some are more flashy, others fly under the radar.

#18 ·
I have to admit that I'm starting to hesitate about such a purchase, too. I've seen nice watches at my office, like an Aquaracer, Navitimer, and (I think) a Speedy Reduced, at least. Saw another one on what looked like an Oyster bracelet but couldn't tell which model it was. And being in government work, luxury goods can draw a sideways glance because, well, where would I be getting the money if there are secrets to be sold?

So I doubt I'd get a yellow gold Day-Date or something as recognizable. Maybe a two-tone DJ would be kosher since it's so classic even though it's instantly recognizable.

The catch, of course, is that everyone knows Rolex is expensive, including non-watch-nerds; and even if they think it "costs a thousand bucks", although if they're way off, it's still an outrageous sum in their minds.

But... whatever. We'll choose what we choose, whether it's a Rolex, JLC, or something else.

#19 ·
Hate to break it to you, but most people won’t care or won’t give it a second look. Only people that would are watch geeks or someone that is looking to steal it from you.

#20 ·
An Oyster Perpetual, a 36 mm Explorer or a vintage Datejust on an oyster bracelet all fly under the radar and wouldn’t get noticed much. I would not get one of the more recent Datejusts with the polished center links or any of the models with a ceramic bezel or a jubilee bracelet. They really stand out.

#23 ·
Actually, I view that differently. If I am a client, I want a successful consultant who is wearing an Armani or Zegna suit, in a Rolex watch and well shone shoes. He needs to rock up in a Mercedes Benz or Porsche as a minimum. Why do I want to engage a consultant who is struggling to make a living? Driving a old rust bucket and wearing a Casio watch is not my idea of success. Who knows if he will still be in business next month?

#22 ·
I notice that modern Sub and GMT maxi case Rolexes get a lot more attention, esp with the reworked bezel teeth. They will for sure catch the light. I also notice when seeing my buddies with them on, look so much beefier than the 5 digit, def much more beefier than 4 digits (16750, 14060). They also are much more noticeable when the person is smaller in stature. The watches HAVE gotten bigger over time. Want to fly under the radar? pick up a 80s rolex or earlier.

My work environment is sometimes investor meetings, client meetings or job site construction management meetings. I don't wear my Rolexes to job site construction. If my clients ask about my watch, I usually say "gift from family for... xyz."

I try to adjust which watch I wear to the environment I will be in for the day.

Reactions: Londonboy
#26 ·
Yeah I'm also going to disagree with most here and say think carefully.

There is almost nobody on this earth that isn't aware that Rolexes cost a LOT of money. And many Rolex models have a certain way of catching the light and drawing attention, and a certain way of looking very Rolexy. This can leave folks with the question 'is it fake or real'. Some might come straight out and ask, others might discuss it behind your back.

We have an unpopular project manager right now, that wears a sparkly watch. I don't interact with him often enough or closely enough to inspect his watch, but I've heard guys speculate on it, and the simple fact it draws attention is a statement of sorts. He may not GAF, but I wouldn't like that kind of attention.

Rolex is not just another watch brand, it comes with some baggage whether you like it or not.

Obviously YMMV depending on where you are and local attitudes towards conspicuous wealth.

#27 ·
If you earnt it..wear it and you can choose to actually enjoy not giving a hoot about who's got what. I've chosen to treat all my pieces the same over the last 5 decades and reckon being a wearer has given me more pleasure than worrying about what any one else thinks...it's a tick off when you lose one or smash one but that's how it rolls...and often it goes like.." that was close"...
All the best mate
Dave

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#29 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with consideration to how you may be perceived. Every audience is different. You work there after all and want to fit in. I would be mindful of the impact of my dress if not appropriate to my environment.

As many wrote, most people won't take any notice unless you're wearing something very shiny.
There could be colleagues who resent you for owning something perceived to some as ostentatious. But there are always people who have their opinion.

Hopefully it isn't your boss!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.