WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Autheticate on trades

492 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  nobbylon 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some opinions here. I saved and got my Tudor Black Bay 79220B Crown & Caliber with papers, tags, box etc so I know it's legit and I can prove where I got it from. That being said I was offered a trade for a Rolex Explorer II ref 16570. My spidey sense says not many people are going to trade down like that and #2. I can prove mine is legit but the person offering has no paper, tags etc. SO here is the question. How do you all verify fakes from reals if you aren't super savy ? Take it to an AD and have them authenticate (if that do that sort of thing). I just worry that this deal sounds too good so it most likely is. Other than going to a super shop like Bob's or C&C how do you protect yourself in the used market

#2 · (Edited)
<snip>
I'm looking for some opinions here... I saved and got my Tudor Black Bay 79220B Crown & Caliber with papers, tags, box etc so I know it's legit and I can prove where I got it from.
::
I was offered a trade for a Rolex Explorer II ref 16570. My spidey sense says not many people are going to trade down like that and #2. I can prove mine is legit but the person offering has no paper, tags etc.
::
... this deal sounds too good so it most likely is.
Since you are here asking for an opinion; I'd give mine, and that is to turn down the offer. Walk away and don't turn back. You're right. Who in his right mind who already owns a 5 digit Explorer II wants to trade for a Black Bay that is easy to obtain?

Many on this forum will advice you to:
1) Take it to a dealer, but which time; your original watch has left your hands and you have been traded a fake;
2) Ask for pictures; which the other party can send originals stolen from somewhere else to dupe you;
3) Only work with a reputable seller and a reputable seller would not trade his 5 digit Explorer II for a BB Black.

Edit:
Moreover, the price difference between a 16570 and a 79220 is 2.5 times.

#3 ·
Best thing I have ever heard was, "You are buying the seller, not the watch", and it's my motto to this day. Same goes for trades. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Full stop. And even when it's a fair trade, you only trust an established member (and this is coming from someone new to the forums).

And be cautious even with face-to-face meetings for trades. You are basically advertising to the person that you are holding a $2-3k watch and telling them where you'll be and at what time. The face to face could go badly, but another reality is that they pretend a no-show and follow you when you leave the meeting place. I know it sounds silly, but its sillier when you say it would never happen to you and then get robbed on your way home. Face to face trades should be treated with incredible caution in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The answer to your question is, you cant protect yourself at all, especially with a Rolex. Even some dealers can get duped. Not to the extent that they've bought a fake but things like wrong bezels and clasps can slip through. Giving the seller the benefit of the doubt for a second, it may be he has tried to sell his watch and run into serious problems with it not having box and papers so is prepared to take a hit and trade for a watch with proper documentation. Im not telling you to take that trade but theres an outside chance hes legit but youre taking a big risk. As to taking it to an AD for authentication, youll get very mixed results with them. Theyre not keen on people buying elsewhere, not researching and then expecting THEM to do all the legwork with authentication etc. You might get lucky but ive seen ADs just offer to send them to Rolex or suggest "taking it back to where you purchased it, im sure they will be happy to help". The problem they have if they spot a fake is they then get asked to do a letter of authentication (or non authentication) which can then drag them into unnecessary conflict with a non authorised seller.

#5 ·
Excellent thank you all for the help/ advice. Like I said I have Zero issues getting from a big reputable pre owned dealer and less with someone who is known with papers etc. Just one of those things that I had to ask. I know Tudor isn't Rolex in terms of costs etc. But my Tudor was a serious chunk of $$$ for me even pre owned and getting scammed or whatever is a concern. Im sure you all remember the days of 1 or 2 higher end pieces in your collections
Thanks Everyone

#8 ·
Excellent thank you all for the help/ advice. Like I said I have Zero issues getting from a big reputable pre owned dealer and less with someone who is known with papers etc. Just one of those things that I had to ask. I know Tudor isn't Rolex in terms of costs etc. But my Tudor was a serious chunk of $$$ for me even pre owned and getting scammed or whatever is a concern. Im sure you all remember the days of 1 or 2 higher end pieces in your collections
Thanks Everyone
That is why scammers are the scum of the earth. I hate dishonest people - they make a living out of cheating people. I think you dodged that one.

We need to be careful even with people with a few hundred posts count as I recall a trade that went sour last year when someone traded a Black Bay for a whole bunch of garbage watches. The guy who realised he was duped tried unsuccessfully to reverse the trade and then the other party stopped coming onto WUS altogether.

#6 ·
Hmmm... was the trade offered by a member who was recently speedposting, making inflammatory posts, and then banned all within the last few days... one of his first posts was a WTT Exp II.

As others have said — pass on the offer. I’ve done trades and purchases through WUS, but it has been with well-established members.

Also, when it comes to buying vintage or near vintage (5-digit) Rolex, there are no “deals.” Low price just means a lesser condition.

#7 ·
Hmmm... was the trade offered by a member who was recently speedposting, making inflammatory posts, and then banned all within the last few days... one of his first posts was a WTT Exp II.

As others have said - pass on the offer. I've done trades and purchases through WUS, but it has been with well-established members.

Also, when it comes to buying vintage or near vintage (5-digit) Rolex, there are no "deals." Low price just means a lesser condition.
LOL. I know who you are referring to. I think our mate @PolishX dodged that.

#10 ·
I’d never buy private unless I sold it them first. AD or trusted grey only especially on older stuff as people do use fake parts because they are cheap, inserts, bracelets, crystals, even dials and clone movements. Take a look over at Replica watch forums and you’ll get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.