WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How Far Do You Go To Clean Your Rolex?

4K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  Ocean Atlantic 84 
#1 · (Edited)
Electronics Gadget Technology Electronic device Watch phone

Saw Adrian from Bark & Jack use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean the bracelet of a Rolex Sub he had bought pre-owned off of eBay. youtube.com/watch?v=oy_zUzMtqgk&t=348s

The results were impressive. Anyone else use an Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner on their watch bracelets? Anyone use it on the actual watch?

The one Adrian used runs $118 on Amazon. http://amazon.com/gp/product/B07S8BZL7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2D6UZB5WZIO1Q&psc=1

How's it working for you? THANKS! -Z-

What make & model cleaner do you use? Happy with it? Why or why not?

THANKS!! -Z-

See less See more
#5 ·
Just soak the whole watch in bleach overnight. The chemicals will make the watch sparkly and clean and also help lubricate the seals. Don't bother washing it off before you put it back on, let the bleach continue it's cleanse while you simultaneously clean your wrist
LOL. I vote this the best answer!

Emoticon Facial expression Smiley Head Yellow

P.S. I am not responsible if you followed Toothbras' instructions and damaged your watch.

#8 ·
I wear the same watch for months without changing and all of my watches are worn in the shower with me.
They also get wet a dozen other times per day.
Once a month I’ll remove while showering and use a toothbrush to make sure no soap builds up in the clasp.
Adrian specializes in majoring in the minors and is extremely naive.
He keeps his watches offsite in a safe deposit box at the bank anyway.

#9 ·
No Rolex but several Tudors. I wash them when they need it using whatever hand soap I happen to be using at the time, rinse them off in the sink, and dry with a towel. They're tool watches for God's sake. I find all the videos on YouTube with special cleansers, baby-soft brushes, and silken buffing towels ridiculous.

I recently washed my GMT in an airplane bathroom after the attendant spilled coffee on me. It was fine.

#10 ·
I use a soft toothbrush and a very mild washing up liquid. (detergent). In all honesty, it's something I may do, a couple of times a year.
I use a polishing cloth/duster, to remove daily detritus.

#11 ·
I'm a firm believer in hand soap, an old tooth brush, and running water. Started out this way when I got my first swiss watch, and Oris Aquis. Never bothered soaking it. Now that I own two Rolex, I clean them even less frequently, maybe once a month in the summer, because I'm still not sure what regular soap will do to the seals long term.

No AR on the crystal and those deep black dials do mean I keep a microfiber cloth with me always that's shared with sunglasses for lint.

I feel this is pretty standard, in the same way that one should wet-wipe their cell phone every once in a while. Simply part of good personal hygiene.

#12 ·
The Sub gets washed when I take a shower with warm water and hand soap. It gets a water rinse when I go swimming. If saltwater then it will get a freshwater rinse.

#13 ·
I put my bracelets in an ultrasonic several times a year. It keeps them looking great and I've yet to find another method that cleans them as thoroughly. I've also cleaned (empty) watch cases that way -- and have been pretty amazed (and disgusted) at the amount of additional grime it has taken off of used bracelets that I had already cleaned by hand.

I've accumulated a fair degree of knowledge when it comes to ultrasonic cleaners as I use them in my business for an unrelated purpose. My preferred model for watch parts is a Branson 1800 and I like a jewelry cleaning solution called "Blitz".
Branson and another brand called Crest make the best products in the industry and are some of the most prevalent manufacturers in commercial environments (I'd be curious to know what they use at RSC -- but would wager it's one or both of these brands).

It's important to use an appropriate wetting agent (jewelry cleaner, Dawn dish soap, etc) mixed at the proper ratio and degassed for 10-15 minutes before you drop anything in. I couldn't open the video you posted, but have seen a few other YouTube instructionals where people just use plain water and completely skip the degassing step -- you will not get very good results this way. I've also seen a few such videos where people put their jewelry/parts directly on the bottom of the tank -- don't ever do this. Not only will it scratch your bracelet, it will ruin your cleaner's transducer. Use the basket that comes with it, or suspend your bracelet in the solution using a pencil & a bent paper clip (if you're really worried about scratches).

If you're prepared to spend $100+, I'd buy a used Branson 1800/1510/1200 or a new B200 before any consumer grade product (Crest doesn't make anything in an entry level price range).
If you want to spend less, I've also had decent results with an InvisiClean IC-2035 -- not a professional grade product, but a decent one for $30 and likely at least as good as the one in the video you shared.

#15 · (Edited)
WOW! Awesome info. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this.

I see Crest Ultrasonic machines clean all sorts of interesting EDC items, lol.

Just soak the whole watch in bleach overnight. The chemicals will make the watch sparkly and clean and also help lubricate the seals. Don't bother washing it off before you put it back on, let the bleach continue it's cleanse while you simultaneously clean your wrist
I prefer this. I understand Patek Philippe recommends this as well. -Z-

Automotive cleaning

Reactions: draperfish
#18 ·
Commercial diver for the Offshore Oil Industry, my Submariner for over 20 years was rinsed in fresh water after each dive together with my other diving gear. When diving in very muddy area, I had sometime to pop off the bezel for more pronounced cleaning (toothbrush) if the push down bezel rotation was feeling "gritty". I spent more time polishing the acrylic cristal than other care, bracelet was scotchbrite treated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.