WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How I purchased my first Rolex #116610 LN from my AD..

3K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  HiggsBoson 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I want to share with you I have bent the knee to the crown and after a semi long search, I am happy to report I was able to source a 116610LN through an out of state AD.

As the story goes, I actually had contacted two AD's for this watch - one local and the other out of state.

I had no prior purchases and began the relationship-building process with my local AD. I was able to visit this AD at least once to twice a month for the last 4 months. I was given a Rolex magazine, had great conversations about watches and was put on the "list" which did exist as they showed it to me - I was literally the 100th name!

I got to know the sales staff and heard many different versions of how & when they select who will be the next stainless-steel anything Rolex lucky owner. It was understood they gave their prior customers preference, however I would have the opportunity to purchase within the next year.. maybe.

Then I thought of contacting the AD I purchased my Black Bay Bronze from while on vacation last year I remembered was also a Rolex AD. I made contact and was told the wait list was about two years. I then began a conversation with the salesperson (same one who sold me the BBB) who remembered my wife and I and my purchase.

We really connected on the phone and had a fantastic conversation - that was two weeks ago. She called again on 7/31 to let me know that the watch was in and wanted to offer it to me! It was a surreal moment to say the least.

The best part about this purchase was not having to pay sales tax given it being an out of state transaction.

Closing thoughts - remain patient and persistent to not pay the artificial inflated grey prices. Enjoy the hunt as I did because it is worth the wait. I paid MSRP.
I love my watches but will not pay any more than MSRP at most - these are wants not needs. Make meaningful connections with your AD's and see what happens.

I hope this helps the folks that are still in the hunt!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats. Beautiful sub date. Wear it well.

Price between AD new and GM new is about $1.5k. Hardly out of line imo.

You got lucky, even saved sales tax. Yay.

Not like that for everyone unfortunately.

Pay to play. It's basically a $10k watch. Suck up the $1k delta if you really want it.

Seeing these frequent posts about MSRP this and that, be patient, the grey dealers are gouging, etc is getting old.

Nothing constructive. Especially from me[emoji854]

Had a lot of Blanton's bourbon.

Delicious.

Apology for rant.

#6 ·
Congrats on your new Sub!! I recognise your name from F20. You have/had a 300 MC if I recall? If so, great pairing! Enjoy in great health.[/QUOTE

Yes, correct Solesman i remember you as well - you sold your SM 300 I believe?? I still have mine and love it. This new addition will rotate in perfectly.

#7 ·
Congratulations Bro! You're very lucky to have them source you the piece. I'm still waiting for my AD to source one for me and it's been around 2 months now. I was lucky in buying my other pieces which I saw on display so I can't really call the AD doing me a favour just yet.

Wear your watch in good health!

Beautiful watch.

Attachments

Reactions: NovJoe and Lealole
#8 ·
Great watch, congratulations! :-! I cricked my neck looking at the pictures, though. (Ouch)

#9 ·
Last year when I went on the hunt for a Sub Date in California I couldn’t get the time of day from my local ADs - Chong Hing, Gearys, and Ben Bridge. I had a small purchase history with Ben Bridge (a Datejust and some random jewelry over the past 5-10 years) but the Brea salesman just rolled his eyes when I asked about the Sub.

Good for me, DavidSW took care of me!

#10 ·
Last year when I went on the hunt for a Sub Date in California I couldn't get the time of day from my local ADs - Chong Hing, Gearys, and Ben Bridge. I had a small purchase history with Ben Bridge (a Datejust and some random jewelry over the past 5-10 years) but the Brea salesman just rolled his eyes when I asked about the Sub.

Good for me, DavidSW took care of me!
Which is a bit of a disaster, if they are selling watches....

#12 ·
<snip>
I want to share with you I have bent the knee to the crown and after a semi long search, I am happy to report I was able to source a 116610LN through an out of state AD.
::
She called ... to let me know that the watch was in and wanted to offer it to me!
The best part about this purchase was not having to pay sales tax
Closing thoughts - remain patient and persistent to not pay the artificial inflated grey prices. Enjoy the hunt as I did because it is worth the wait. I love my watches but will not pay any more than MSRP at most - these are wants not needs.
Congratulations! Yours is another good news. There are Rolex watches out there and good things come to the patient.

Wear it in good health. [emoji106]

#13 ·
Congrats to you for scoring one from an AD!

I take a peep at DavidSW periodically to see what they are asking for 114060 (no date) subs after I bought mine new from an AD in Feb 2018. Today, they are asking $9,975 for a new/no stickers example, and $10,275 for one with the stickers still in place. That's $2,475-2,775 over MSRP. Even counting sales tax, that's a pretty big markup for a sub...the biggest I've seen yet by far. Heck, they're asking $8,175 for a Dec 2016 model with a chip on the crystal!

#15 ·
Hello all,

As the story goes, I actually had contacted two AD's for this watch - one local and the other out of state.

I had no prior purchases and began the relationship-building process with my local AD. I was able to visit this AD at least once to twice a month for the last 4 months. I was given a Rolex magazine, had great conversations about watches and was put on the "list" which did exist as they showed it to me - I was literally the 100th name!

I got to know the sales staff and heard many different versions of how & when they select who will be the next stainless-steel anything Rolex lucky owner. It was understood they gave their prior customers preference, however I would have the opportunity to purchase within the next year.. maybe.

Then I thought of contacting the AD I purchased my Black Bay Bronze from while on vacation last year. I made contact and was told the wait list was about two years. I then began a conversation with the salesperson (same one who sold me the BBB) who remembered my wife and I and my purchase.

We really connected on the phone and had a fantastic conversation - that was two weeks ago. She called again on 7/31 to let me know that the watch was in and wanted to offer it to me! It was a surreal moment to say the least.

The best part about this purchase was not having to pay sales tax given it being an out of state transaction.

Closing thoughts - remain patient and persistent to not pay the artificial inflated grey prices. Enjoy the hunt as I did because it is worth the wait. I paid MSRP plus as a bonus saved paying taxes.
I love my watches but will not pay any more than MSRP at most - these are wants not needs. Make meaningful connections with your AD's and see what happens.

So really...

The OP had a prior relationship with an AD, got put on the list then got a rather quick call back offering him the watch.

Not sure this was very helpful, but thanks for the story.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Hello all,

Then I thought of contacting the AD I purchased my Black Bay Bronze from while on vacation last year. I made contact and was told the wait list was about two years. I then began a conversation with the salesperson (same one who sold me the BBB) who remembered my wife and I and my purchase.

Closing thoughts - remain patient and persistent to not pay the artificial inflated grey prices. Enjoy the hunt as I did because it is worth the wait. I paid MSRP plus as a bonus saved paying taxes.

Congratulations! Amazing watch.
So glad to hear a normal purchasing experience from an AD. It does take patience but worth the wait. Makes it that more memorable. It happens way more than noted, especially on the forums.

It beats all the hype of go grey market and have it now conversations lately.
Wear it well!!!

#18 ·
So I've bought a Tudor BB58 from a dealer in Bacelona Spain that is also a Rolex dealer. I wonder if that may be enough to get me credits to get a Rolex Sub too. Then again, I wonder if they go thru the trouble of sending thru international courier if they can just sell it in store with no added complication.

Anyways, congrats to the OP. Nice to see someone having a positive story like that.

#19 · (Edited)
Visited an AD in Toronto to try on a OP 39mm and they had a 114060 in the case. I immediately said I would take it. Was told it was for display only. It had been there for weeks so “customers could try it on”. Give me a @?&!%#+ break! I AM a customer and I want to buy your $10,000 watch but I’m not allowed? Gotta love Rolex.

#22 ·
Visited an AD in Toronto to try on a OP 39mm and they had a 114060 in the case. I immediately said I would take it. Was told it was for display only. It had been there for weeks so "customers could try it on". Give me a @?&!%#+ break! I AM a customer and I want to buy your $10,000 watch but I'm not allowed? Gotta love Rolex.
If it was available to purchase it would likely have been gone a long time ago.

#21 ·
Great SCORE!

See, it can be done. A little good will, a little leg work, and yes, a little luck.

So much more rewarding, and far less expensive than going Grey.

CONGRATULATIONS! Wear it in good health!

#25 ·
Congrats on the purchase! I hate to be that guy, but you're technically supposed to report the watch purchase and pay sales tax on it come tax season. Which I'm sure everyone here *cough* does.

#29 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the well wishes! Well I’m loving my new SubC I haven’t taken it off yet! It feels great on the wrist. My apologies for the crooked pics but they are straight on my screen :think:

#33 ·
Well played and congratulations.

#40 ·
Let’s assume for the sake of argument a very very low 500,000 watches. Though we do know that in 2015 they cosc certified way way more.

2018 had 251 working days in Switzerland. We also know they do not produce on weekends and public holidays. So that number seems ok.

That’s 1,992 watches a day. If that is not mass producing - what is? It’s the definition of mass production.

#42 ·
Let's assume for the sake of argument a very very low 500,000 watches. Though we do know that in 2015 they cosc certified way way more.

2018 had 251 working days in Switzerland. We also know they do not produce on weekends and public holidays. So that number seems ok.

That's 1,992 watches a day. If that is not mass producing - what is? It's the definition of mass production.
i agree with your statement robots do a lot of the production but I do believe Rolex does hand assemble each watch

#41 ·
That is a fantastic piece, and a great story. I've found a very similar experience with my rep at the AD. I've found that when you stay "top of mind" with the rep, they'll get you the allotment if it's available and not a VVIP piece. It also helps when you have some kind of purchase history, such as you did with the Tudor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.