How To Make Inroads with a Rolex AD?
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: How To Make Inroads with a Rolex AD?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

How To Make Inroads with a Rolex AD?

Since most U.S. ADs are closed at the moment, this is more a question for the near future. But since I'm stuck at home I'm spending far too much time going down the watch rabbit hole...

My dilemma is this: Like many who are Rolex fans, I'd like to buy a new BLNR at retail. Getting on alleged waitlists is hit or miss, according to many. I'd like to build a relationship at a Chicago area or Milwaukee AD but don't want to buy something I don't want. Some area ADs also sell Tudor, and for everyday wear I'd be happy to purchase a Black Bay steel at near retail if it made a difference. Yet many BBs are available on the grey market for 20-25% off retail and no tax.

Does anyone think it would help my cause enough on the Rolex to buy the BB at the AD, despite the higher price?

Re: How To Make Inroads with a Rolex AD?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenmorangie77 View Post
    <snip>
    I'd like to buy a new BLNR at retail....
    :;
    Some area ADs also sell Tudor, and for everyday wear I'd be happy to purchase a Black Bay steel at near retail if it made a difference.
    :;
    Yet many BBs are available on the grey market for 20-25% off retail and no tax.

Does anyone think it would help my cause enough on the Rolex to buy the BB at the AD, despite the higher price?
    Short answer is NO.

That Tudor Black Bay gets you an Oyster Perpetual or Milgauss, maybe an Explorer. BLNR? No.

You’re better off just buying that BLNR from a grey dealer unworn and brand new. The extra over premium paid is the same as the money spent buying a Black Bay or more cheap watches to get into their “list”. Sometimes you get strung along if you’re not a regular and it is frustrating because there are people who spent upwards of $50k with their AD and they always have first right of refusal.

I have to agree with Dogbert. BLNRs are available now, new, at 13-14k. And, I'm sure you can negotiate some of that. Especially now. If you're willing to spend on the BB just to get the BLNR... Why not make the sacrifice to get what you want more immediately?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Los Angeles - USA Originally from Perth - Australia

Pick a local AD, open up a correspondence with them via email or old fashion post, be ready with cash once they re-open and try your luck in person.
    StingF18 and nobbylon 2 like this.
    Rolex Explorer Mk II . Grand Seiko Spring Diver 029 . Omega MoonWatch . Grand Seiko Highbeat .

It is tough. I have two Rolex's I purchased from my dealer over the years but I am still way down the list. It is a dynamic list. A better customer wants the watch, you get bumped. 2 years ago, I was 2 years down the list for a Daytona. Now I am 3 more years down the list - So 5 years. The more popular they become, the more I get bumped. Having said that, I would look for a smaller AD where Rolex is there top end watch and not such high end clientele. Even after purchasing 2 Rolex watches through them in the past, I am a very small fish in their pond.

Quote Originally Posted by StingF18 View Post
    It is tough. I have two Rolex's I purchased from my dealer over the years but I am still way down the list. It is a dynamic list. A better customer wants the watch, you get bumped. 2 years ago, I was 2 years down the list for a Daytona. Now I am 3 more years down the list - So 5 years. The more popular they become, the more I get bumped. Having said that, I would look for a smaller AD where Rolex is there top end watch and not such high end clientele. Even after purchasing 2 Rolex watches through them in the past, I am a very small fish in their pond.
    I think that is the key, finding a smaller AD where Rolex is there top end watch with a smaller clientele base. I travel all over the US for my job, well I did until recently, and I always try to visit the local Rolex dealer when I have time. I visited one dealer in a small town and struck up a conversation with one of the store owners. We talked about watches quite a while and she showed me the Tudors and Rolex watches on hand. She had a Tudor BB 58 which I really wanted but it was on a fabric strap and I wanted it on the bracelet. She mentioned she should have one in the near future and I told her to give me a shout when one was available. A few months later she contacted me and I purchased it. A while after that I contacted her to see if she had any Rolex SS sport watches and she did, an Explorer II. I purchased that one as well. That was a little over a year ago. I emailed her last week to see what she had. She had a SS Submariner No date, one I've been wanting for a while. She offered to me and I ended up picking that one up this week. So over the course of a few years and three purchases, I've made inroads with this extremely nice AD and I think the only reason I've had the opportunity to purchase these watches is the fact that it is in a smaller town with less local clientele compared to what they would have in a larger city.
    If you remember the 60s, you weren't there.

I’m jealous. I’ve been trying to get a no date sub for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    m6rk and macharle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StingF18 View Post
    I’m jealous. I’ve been trying to get a no date sub for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too!
    StingF18 and macharle like this.

I just saw a post in another thread from a guy that was on the list for three years for a white/black ceramic bezel SS Daytona and he just got it this week. So it occasionally happens ;)

There's an article called "Giving Head to get Ahead"; try that
    Brother of OoO

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information