WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How many Sub Hulk. Versions were made?

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  starter 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was showing how his hulk looked plain and dull, even matte, under certain lighting.

I told this to a watch enthusiast friend at work and he told me that “for sure” ( his words ) Rolex made three hulk versions and that some were “shinier” than the others. He said this like he had a stake in this argument yet he doesn’t own a hulk.

Yesterday I met a guy who was wearing a hulk and as I was talking watches with him I noticed that out in the sun the watch looked like a matte green as apposed to the shinier black I have on my Sub date ceramic.

So, are there three types of Hulks, or was my work friend misinformed, which wouldn’t be a surprise?

#5 ·
I can’t believe my work friend was right ( about the three hulks at least ) because it always seems like he’s making stuff up to sound informed. He was wrong about the shininess though.

Has anyone here seen a hulk in person outside an AD and found them lacking in shininess like I did?

#6 ·
You sort of nailed it in post #1 when you said "in certain lighting." I took these pics seconds apart in the same lighting. In one I barely rotated my wrist and the phone adjusted exposure dramatically. This is what I feel you are experiencing:

What you're used to seeing online is people finding the perfect lighting and angle which makes the LV look very dynamic. In shade or off lighting, the color becomes a deep green. The bezel still picks up any light and gleams, but otherwise the rest picks up a very deep green which is a visually muted color.

Both the green and black bezels typically shine 2 colors, it's natural color and whatever has direct light gleams a white/silver. I also attached a pic of my Daytona next to BB58. What can make the black appear more dynamic is it has what I'd call a "wet" look and any shadow that hits it makes gives that portion a deep black, so it almost looks like 3 colors: gleaming white/silver, wet black and deep black. Reflections also appear a lot more defined on the black.

So yes, I would agree and say the green is certainly less dynamic in most lighting. It's when you are outside and it hits that angle and you unexpectedly say "holy cow now THAT is GREEN" that keeps it fun. If it was like that all the time, I feel even more people would say it's too blingy.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Absolutely nothing. It's common for Rolex to do some tweaking on the dial lettering for long running models; those tweaks are minute, and most owners/buyers/sellers aren't even aware of them. A more noticable tweak is the added crown between swiss and made in the SD43 mark II. Some will argue that the mark I is more valuable as it is the one that was released the anniversary year, others will argue that they are both an anniversary model, and would prefer the mark II because the crown is the recognized sign of the new 70 HR PR movements that Rolex has been implementing in their newest lines. Personally, I think that value is more related to the overall condition of the watch.

#10 · (Edited)
Interesting impressions by @Panerol Forte and @Hamstur, both guys well known to me and very detailed in their thinking. I have seen the Hulk on only one occasion at the Rolex Boutique in Dallas and did not perceive excessive bling, and the color appeared to be a rather muted dark green that seemed to change with position and lighting. I decided not to buy it at the time though as I already had a SD4K and SubC.

#12 ·
Interesting impressions by @Panerol Forte and @Hamstur, both guys well known to me and very detailed in their thinking. I have seen the Hulk on only one occasion at the Rolex Boutique in Dallas and ndid not perceive excessive bling, and the color appeared to be a rather muted dark green that seemed to change with position and lighting. I decided not to buy it at the time though as I already had a SD4K and SubC.
I've only seen one Hulk in person - it was a family gathering but the owner wasn't fluent in English so we couldn't really discuss it but I remember being surprised by how matte it looked. Not being a big fan of green the photos of the Hulk never drove me crazy with desire but seeing it in person, I thought it looked significantly better.
In fact, this watch is a true chameleon, it changes colors according to the lighting and the direction of the lighting; the ceramic of the bezel is light sensitive, so is the dial. Notice the difference in colors between the first picture taken under a lamp, and the second one, taken indoors, but with natural daylight, and compare with those of Hamstur: you already have 4 different shades of green for the dial, and as much for the bezel. But, without a doubt, in direct sunlight, it's magnificient!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Footwear Watch Shoe Tan Beige

#11 ·
I've only seen one Hulk in person - it was a family gathering but the owner wasn't fluent in English so we couldn't really discuss it but I remember being surprised by how matte it looked. Not being a big fan of green the photos of the Hulk never drove me crazy with desire but seeing it in person, I thought it looked significantly better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.