WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ChronoB 
#1 ·
I am absolutely enamored with the Tudor BB Red. I see the in-house caseback protrudes out a bit compared to the ETA version. The watch case is already a bit thick, but I wanted to know if the caseback pushes it out substantially once on a wrist? I would wear it with short sleeves so won't have to worry about it fitting under a cuff, but also don't want something so big and bulky that it looks like I'm wearing a mid-2000s Breitling.

#2 ·
I would say yes, it does. I had an in house BB a couple of years ago. The watch felt like it sat on top of the case back on the wrist, with a little gap between the sides of the watch and the wrist. It wears larger than the ETA as a result imho.

Personally, it didn’t work for me as it was too thick and the case back dug in and hurt my wrist a bit. The flat case back on the ETA works better.

All that said, if you have big wrists, it probably won’t be noticeable. My wrist is somewhere a little under 7 inches, and I don’t think it could handle the extra thickness!

#3 ·
Even compared to a mid-00s Breitling it'll feel big and chunky. The main difference being that the Breitling has about ten times the water resistance, justifying its heft (academically for most). The Tudor's bezel is also as wide as the case, and the insert goes right to the edge. The design is such that it looks every bit as big as it is, and the slab sides contribute to this. However, the GMT version has scalloped case sides to reduce some of the visual bulk.

The deeper caseback to clear the movement adds just over 2mm. It's now 14.8mm. (the movement is 6.5mm of that btw)

#5 ·
I'll be the guy that says the opposite of everyone else.

I don't find the case back to protrude any more than any other watch I wear. Maybe I have a bit of extra flab on top of my wrist that makes it sink in or something, but my wrist is only 6.75in.

#19 ·
Agree. I have my BB GMT on a single pass nato at the moment. That is the most it can take....

#20 ·
As people have pointed out, you should try one on, if at all possible. I own the Tudor Heritage BB Steel, which has the in-house movement. I absolutely love the watch, but I almost considered selling it. For me, the height of the case wasn't the main problem (although I do have a couple shirts where it is a tight fit under the cuffs). Visually, tt wears flatter than the height would suggest. The bigger problem for me was the weight. I can't remember how much it weighs, but you feel this watch on your wrist, particularly with the bracelet. The bracelet that comes with it is great; attractive, well made, and comfortable. One of the best out there. But it adds considerable weight to an already heavy watch. I'm not really a strap guy, but I decided to get a leather strap for it. And I'm glad I did, because it transformed the watch. Not only do I love how it looks on a strap, but without the added weight of the bracelet it became a genuinely comfortable watch to wear (for me). Something to consider if you decide to purchase one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.