How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member jmsolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Springfield USA
    Posts
    92

    How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    I am absolutely enamored with the Tudor BB Red. I see the in-house caseback protrudes out a bit compared to the ETA version. The watch case is already a bit thick, but I wanted to know if the caseback pushes it out substantially once on a wrist? I would wear it with short sleeves so won't have to worry about it fitting under a cuff, but also don't want something so big and bulky that it looks like I'm wearing a mid-2000s Breitling.

  2. #2
    Member Berty234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    I would say yes, it does. I had an in house BB a couple of years ago. The watch felt like it sat on top of the case back on the wrist, with a little gap between the sides of the watch and the wrist. It wears larger than the ETA as a result imho.

    Personally, it didn’t work for me as it was too thick and the case back dug in and hurt my wrist a bit. The flat case back on the ETA works better.

    All that said, if you have big wrists, it probably won’t be noticeable. My wrist is somewhere a little under 7 inches, and I don’t think it could handle the extra thickness!
    Omega Speedmaster FOIS - Rolex Datejust 126200 - Tudor Black Bay 79220N

    The list is ever changing though... :)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmsolt View Post
    I am absolutely enamored with the Tudor BB Red. I see the in-house caseback protrudes out a bit compared to the ETA version. The watch case is already a bit thick, but I wanted to know if the caseback pushes it out substantially once on a wrist? I would wear it with short sleeves so won't have to worry about it fitting under a cuff, but also don't want something so big and bulky that it looks like I'm wearing a mid-2000s Breitling.
    Even compared to a mid-00s Breitling it'll feel big and chunky. The main difference being that the Breitling has about ten times the water resistance, justifying its heft (academically for most). The Tudor's bezel is also as wide as the case, and the insert goes right to the edge. The design is such that it looks every bit as big as it is, and the slab sides contribute to this. However, the GMT version has scalloped case sides to reduce some of the visual bulk.

    The deeper caseback to clear the movement adds just over 2mm. It's now 14.8mm. (the movement is 6.5mm of that btw)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member jmsolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Springfield USA
    Posts
    92

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    Even compared to a mid-00s Breitling it'll feel big and chunky. The main difference being that the Breitling has about ten times the water resistance, justifying its heft (academically for most). The Tudor's bezel is also as wide as the case, and the insert goes right to the edge. The design is such that it looks every bit as big as it is, and the slab sides contribute to this. However, the GMT version has scalloped case sides to reduce some of the visual bulk.

    The deeper caseback to clear the movement adds just over 2mm. It's now 14.8mm. (the movement is 6.5mm of that btw)
    Do know if it's possible to swap casebacks with an ETA caseback?
    Last edited by jmsolt; 3 Weeks Ago at 22:06. Reason: Typo

  6. #5
    Member kypt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    114

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    I'll be the guy that says the opposite of everyone else.

    I don't find the case back to protrude any more than any other watch I wear. Maybe I have a bit of extra flab on top of my wrist that makes it sink in or something, but my wrist is only 6.75in.

  7. #6
    Member Dogbert_is_fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    16,929

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmsolt View Post
    Do know if it's possible to swap casebacks with an ETA caseback?
    No, it is not possible.

    Now, every thread needs pictures! So to answer your question about how much thicker it is, I'd say that all the extra thickness comes from the caseback. The mid case is exactly the same. I have here a picture of the old ETA movement and the newer MT movement side by side picture. ETA wrist shot borrowed from my friend @Galaga. See for yourself that it is not obvious other than you might notice the watch sitting a little higher.

    Name:  Compare Tudor ETA and MT sides.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  165.0 KB

    Does it bother me? Yes, somewhat but I suspect that the old ETA movement would too. The issue is not the thickness but the straight slab sides that give it the impression of the height.
    jmsolt likes this.

  8. #7
    Member Galaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,946

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    No, it is not possible.

    Now, every thread needs pictures! So to answer your question about how much thicker it is, I'd say that all the extra thickness comes from the caseback. The mid case is exactly the same. I have here a picture of the old ETA movement and the newer MT movement side by side picture. ETA wrist shot borrowed from my friend @Galaga. See for yourself that it is not obvious other than you might notice the watch sitting a little higher.

    Name:  Compare Tudor ETA and MT sides.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  165.0 KB

    Does it bother me? Yes, somewhat but I suspect that the old ETA movement would too. The issue is not the thickness but the straight slab sides that give it the impression of the height.
    It’s an illusion, nothing more. The ETA version is 12.7mm thick. And because it has a flatter caseback it will sit on the wrist more like a Rolex and be less top heavy but still not as well as a 58.

  9. #8
    Member JimmyMack75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,583

    How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    No, it is not possible.

    Now, every thread needs pictures! So to answer your question about how much thicker it is, I'd say that all the extra thickness comes from the caseback. The mid case is exactly the same. I have here a picture of the old ETA movement and the newer MT movement side by side picture. ETA wrist shot borrowed from my friend @Galaga. See for yourself that it is not obvious other than you might notice the watch sitting a little higher.

    Name:  Compare Tudor ETA and MT sides.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  165.0 KB

    Does it bother me? Yes, somewhat but I suspect that the old ETA movement would too. The issue is not the thickness but the straight slab sides that give it the impression of the height.
    I think it also depends on the wrists. The comparison picture is a little misleading, as the one on the right is a smaller wrist, whereas the one on the left is large and extremely well defined. Any watch would look good on that forearm. Could be one of the best forearms I’ve ever seen, to be honest.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogbert_is_fat likes this.

  10. #9
    Member Galaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,946

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMack75 View Post
    I think it also depends on the wrists. The comparison picture is a little misleading, as the one on the right is a smaller wrist, whereas the one on the left is large and extremely well defined. Any watch would look good on that forearm. Could be one of the best forearms I’ve ever seen, to be honest.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those wrists became even more defined when I acquired my Rolex. The action supports the brand.
    BonyWrists and Dogbert_is_fat like this.

  11. #10
    Member jmsolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Springfield USA
    Posts
    92

    Re: How Thick Does the In-House Tudor BB Caseback Make the Watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMack75 View Post
    I think it also depends on the wrists. The comparison picture is a little misleading, as the one on the right is a smaller wrist, whereas the one on the left is large and extremely well defined. Any watch would look good on that forearm. Could be one of the best forearms I’ve ever seen, to be honest.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well now I don't know what to believe. To Dogbert's credit, I have found a few pics with the same gap from the in house movement, but no wrist size is mentioned. My wrist is about 7.5 inches, but certainly not defined. My worry is no longer the thickness, but rather the gap the caseback causes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •