WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I need your advice

2K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Alex_TA 
#1 ·
My wife has given me the OK on a new Sub and I’m wondering whether or not if I should wear it to work. I work in sales and the customers make the majority of their money from the products that I sell them. Some are very wealthy, but most are not. I’m afraid that some of them would feel that they aren’t getting a big enough piece of the pie and I could potentially lose business. I’ve been wearing a 43mm Cal 5 Aquaracer (with cyclops) and nobody has ever batted an eye, so that kind of makes me think people really don’t even pay attention. The Aquaracer is on a rubber strap, though. Should I save the Sub for the weekend or am I putting too much thought into this?

#5 ·
Most people don't pay attention. Even other "watch guys" where I work know I'm a "watch guy" and we STILL don't talk about it, except that one time. It's good you worry about offending other people though, but in my opinion, I don't think you will if you go with the Sub, just because most people won't notice (or they might even think it's an Invicta or something ha!).

I worked for a company that gave company cars to its sales force. We always got them big American pickup trucks, because we manufactured building supply materials, and contractors were our customer base, and so we tried to show them respect and that we understand them. We didn't want sales people rolling up in foreign sports cars and such; doesn't convey the right message. We also supplied them with Danner boots and a few Carhartt jackets and shirts. So I get your sensitivity to the issue. (Personally I try not to judge people like this, but I'm also a guy who has seen this sort of thing IRL).

That said, go get the one you want. If it's truly the Sub, and you're meeting with clients you think will judge you, wear a long sleeve shirt that day and unroll the sleeves to cover the watch, if you think it will help.

Or look at alternatives to the Sub that others may not remotely have a clue are "high end." Tudor for example is a great "under the radar" Swiss brand for the non-WIS but they are so nice - on par with a lot of good Swiss brands - and many people from a distance might not even know what they're seeing even if they did look at it closely. So you could try that approach too.

#16 ·
That said, go get the one you want. If it's truly the Sub, and you're meeting with clients you think will judge you, wear a long sleeve shirt that day and unroll the sleeves to cover the watch, if you think it will help.

Or look at alternatives to the Sub that others may not remotely have a clue are "high end." Tudor for example is a great "under the radar" Swiss brand for the non-WIS but they are so nice - on par with a lot of good Swiss brands - and many people from a distance might not even know what they're seeing even if they did look at it closely. So you could try that approach too.
I've thought a lot about this. It always comes back to the Sub. If I bought the Tudor, I would be wishing that it was a Sub instead lol

#8 ·
my Sub is my 3rd rolex. with the first 2, i've never caught anyone looking. with the Sub, it happens frequently.

OP, ask yourself if you'd feel self-conscious if a customer noticed and asked you about it. ask yourself if you'd feel self-conscious if they made a remark about its price. what if you could tell the price made them feel bad?

if you decide to take the advice of most posters so far and go for it, i want to ensure you're prepared.

#9 ·
Overthinking things.
Most people don't pay attention to our watches.
I wear my BLRO in all kinds of settings, and nobody ever notices.
In the 10 months I've had it, I think I've had one comment from a fellow WIS, and another from the receptionist at RSC London and that's about it.

Just wear the watch and enjoy it ;)

#10 ·
Since 1995 I’ve only had two people comment on a Rolex. A stripper wanted to know if it was real (ostensibly to steal it I believe), and a kid making popcorn in a theater who honestly was just looking for an excuse to brag about his Invicta.

These are not concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: draperfish
#12 ·
Since 1995 I've only had two people comment on a Rolex. A stripper wanted to know if it was real (ostensibly to steal it I believe), and a kid making popcorn in a theater who honestly was just looking for an excuse to brag about his Invicta.

These are not concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So what did you tell the stripper?

#14 ·
<snip>
My wife has given me the OK on a new Sub and I'm wondering whether or not if I should wear it to work. I work in sales and the customers make the majority of their money from the products that I sell them

...too much thought into this?
First of all, congratulations. Your wife has given you the okay, so that means you're not going to be sleeping on the couch when you eventually buy the watch.

Secondly, why do you worry if your customers make money from the products you sell them? You said some are wealthy and some are not - but what is not clear is what percentage are the "some"?

If what you earn is a fixed fee, then there is no issue with showing your success because that is a reflection of how hard you've worked and you should celebrate it. However, if you make a variable fee on what you sell them, then I would suggest that you be mindful that those customers who have not made much from your product may think you're over charging them.

There's always two sides to a coin and it is a hard one to answer without knowing exactly what you do and the industry (or customers) that you've got. But I will say that most of the time, no one notices unless you are overtly flashing the watch in front of their eyes.

#15 ·
Can you share with us what types of products or services you are selling? That can make a difference to the advice we provide.

#18 ·
<snip>
My wife has given me the OK on a new Sub and I'm wondering whether or not if I should wear it to work. I work in sales and the customers make the majority of their money from the products that I sell them

...too much thought into this?
First of all, congratulations. Your wife has given you the okay, so that means you're not going to be sleeping on the couch when you eventually buy the watch.

Secondly, why do you worry if your customers make money from the products you sell them? You said some are wealthy and some are not - but what is not clear is what percentage are the "some"?

If what you earn is a fixed fee, then there is no issue with showing your success because that is a reflection of how hard you've worked and you should celebrate it. However, if you make a variable fee on what you sell them, then I would suggest that you be mindful that those customers who have not made much from your product may think you're over charging them.

There's always two sides to a coin and it is a hard one to answer without knowing exactly what you do and the industry (or customers) that you've got. But I will say that most of the time, no one notices unless you are overtly flashing the watch in front of their eyes.
Can you share with us what types of products or services you are selling? That can make a difference to the advice we provide.
I work for one of the major food service distributors in the US.

#20 ·
I work for one of the major food service distributors in the US.
I go anywhere where food is served. Anything from schools, jails, restaurants, hospitals, etc... I meet people from all walks of life.
Too easy. Buy the Submariner and wear it.

You are a salaried staff. In fact, your main worry is that your colleagues will think you are paid more than them.... ;-)

#22 ·
U got all the right advice here (shirt sleeve down, fake claim, ..)
My experience is that nobody notice watches unless they are into watches or your watch is exceptionally loud (which is not the case for the sun) or if it is one foot away from their eyes too long. If it is that type of setting and I don’t want them to know, I purposely move my arm around or hide it with the sleeve.
If busted you can always say ‘I know I am stupid spending all my saving on a watch instead of buying a house or a decent car’. That will allow them to judge u in a different way that will not affect your sales number :)
All that said, the bottom line if that 99% people don’t look, so enjoy ur watch and start a conversation with the 1%. They most likely have an interesting piece too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
U got all the right advice here (shirt sleeve down, fake claim, ..)
My experience is that nobody notice watches unless they are into watches or your watch is exceptionally loud (which is not the case for the sun) or if it is one foot away from their eyes too long. If it is that type of setting and I don't want them to know, I purposely move my arm around or hide it with the sleeve.
If busted you can always say 'I know I am stupid spending all my saving on a watch instead of buying a house or a decent car'. That will allow them to judge u in a different way that will not affect your sales number

All that said, the bottom line if that 99% people don't look, so enjoy ur watch and start a conversation with the 1%. They most likely have an interesting piece too

I could always say it was an anniversary present from my wife! How could anyone judge you negatively for that?

#23 ·
I’ve often thought the same but specifically for the people working under me in “position” and their opinion however I genuinely think any negative impressions are quickly overlooked if you’re aware of it being an “expensive” watch from others perspective and you aren’t rubbing it in their noses. The fact you’re thinking about it probably means you’re already not being obnoxious about it.

#26 ·
So now the search begins. I went to my local AD and she told me that people have been waiting around 10 months for a new Sub and said she would let me know as soon as one came in. It seems like the hype might be wearing off a little now. I’ve seen a few one year old pieces with most of the warranty left in the $8500 range. With tax at an AD, a no date would cost around 8k. I can’t imagine people are buying them just to flip them for $500 profit.

#30 ·
<snip>
I went to my local AD and she told me that people have been waiting around 10 months for a new Sub and said she would let me know as soon as one came in.
::
I can't imagine people are buying them just to flip them for $500 profit.
Hope you get your watch soon!

Yeah, believe it, there are people like that around - i.e. those who bother to flip them for $500...

#27 ·
My wife has given me the OK on a new Sub and I'm wondering whether or not if I should wear it to work. I work in sales and the customers make the majority of their money from the products that I sell them. Some are very wealthy, but most are not. I'm afraid that some of them would feel that they aren't getting a big enough piece of the pie and I could potentially lose business. I've been wearing a 43mm Cal 5 Aquaracer (with cyclops) and nobody has ever batted an eye, so that kind of makes me think people really don't even pay attention. The Aquaracer is on a rubber strap, though. Should I save the Sub for the weekend or am I putting too much thought into this?
Get a Sub no date. No date, no iconic cyclops.

#31 ·
Buy the Sub. Nothing says more about you than your personality. Let that do the 'talking' and enjoy wearing the watch! :)

Reactions: Paulsky
#32 ·
I love wearing my sub. I don’t think it has bling. But mine is a bit battered and scratched as it’s just my daily watch. It rarely gets noticed except by other guys wearing subs.

The ones that I think have bling and I get a bit subconscious wearing are TT’s I have. Those have a bit of bling.

But even then, I love watches, I worked really hard all my adult life to become successful enough to afford to collect them, I don’t feel bad wearing them in a tasteful and non flaunting manner.

Though I don’t wear them in 3rd world countries or rough places, I will certainly admit.

#33 ·
The no date is the one I want. I like the Rubber B straps too. The AD tried their best to sell me the new 40mm rose gold YM on the oyster flex strap. I loved the watch, but not enough to spend 26K. My Hirsch Robby strap didn’t even come close to the quality and feel of the oyster flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.