Interested in buying Vintage Rolex 1680 1977 found one but serial doesn't seem correct!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Interested in buying Vintage Rolex 1680 1977 found one but serial doesn't seem correct!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interested in buying Vintage Rolex 1680 1977 found one but serial doesn't seem correct!

Hello everyone, i'm coming from Heuer, and just bought my first Omega speedmaster (still on order) and next i think i'm going with a vintage submariner (never thought i liked them till recently)

I really like the REF 1680/16800 and they seem to be around 7-10k , found one from a seller he says in his ad its a 1977 but his serial # 443##### when searched comes up as a 1974 - He doesn't have the box or papers (of course if i buy i will do due dillegence) The year 1977 is my birth year and would be nice to get a 1977, so if the serial number shows 74 as 77 would start with a 5xxxxxx is the guy just misinformed or am i missing something?

I'm new to all this, and have not gotten a reply back from the seller yet anyways.
    instagram: Tarek_307

Re: Interested in buying Vintage Rolex 1680 1977 found one but serial doesn't seem correct!

These dates are only good estimates. Itís possible anything round 4.5 million could have been sold new in 1977. Not all mechanical watches sold off a production line, especially not In the 70ís. They could sit on display for months, or maybe the case was at the wrong end of the assembly queue. Maybe it failed QC and had to be redone instead of being thrown out. Many possibilities to make you comfortable enough

Iíd confirm dial fonts and bracelet clasp codes etc to confirm and all original peice. Any pics

Cheers
    Sebast975 and CaptainCustard like this.
    Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Instagram: @tophstewart

References
    All liinked in one thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/my...rs-903425.html

Re: Interested in buying Vintage Rolex 1680 1977 found one but serial doesn't seem correct!

I think you are on a reasonable track. This is the site I generally use for approximate date of a watch. The inside of the caseback should have a date on it, but then it could have been swapped. So many times these become a hodgepodge of watch parts.

Rolex & Tudor Serial Numbers Lists by Date of Manufacture... QualityTyme.net
    inasia699 likes this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by toph View Post
    These dates are only good estimates. Itís possible anything round 4.5 million could have been sold new in 1977. Not all mechanical watches sold off a production line, especially not In the 70ís. They could sit on display for months, or maybe the case was at the wrong end of the assembly queue. Maybe it failed QC and had to be redone instead of being thrown out. Many possibilities to make you comfortable enough

Iíd confirm dial fonts and bracelet clasp codes etc to confirm and all original peice. Any pics

Cheers
    Thanks, here are a couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

CaptainCustard likes this.

All 4.4 million serial cases are service replacement cases. Rolex set aside the 4.4 cases as replacement cases. The watch may have originally been from 1977 but the case has been replaced due to damage or corrosion. 1977 should have a serial number of around 5.3 million

Thanks everyone but the more i look at this one i realize i don't like it, i wanted the matte dial finish and this one looks glossy..seems this one is too "clean" looking and parts were replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
    Thanks everyone but the more i look at this one i realize i don't like it, i wanted the matte dial finish and this one looks glossy..seems this one is too "clean" looking and parts were replaced
    Yup. Definitely an older service replacement dial with WG surrounds. It does seem to be Tritium, but still for certain......it is not the original dial.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    Yup. Definitely an older service replacement dial with WG surrounds. It does seem to be Tritium, but still for certain......it is not the original dial.

Thanks for the heads up guys

Yes they are spot on. 4.4 mil are service replacement cases and That dial with WG surrounds is too late for that watch.
    So itís basically a later version sub.
    Cheers
    Tarek307 likes this.
    Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Instagram: @tophstewart

References
    All liinked in one thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/my...rs-903425.html

IF i remember correctly 4.4 mil are replacement cases that were used when a damaged case had to be replaced, but with that said...not really that far off as Rolex did some weird stuff once in a while. I would be more concerned with making sure its not a "parts"watch and that it has original dial, internals etc. But being it probably a replacement case, there are probably other things that are not "original". Since the case is one of the setbacks then at least you know Rolex did what was done as im almost sure they NEVER sold replacement cases to AD's etc. Never know in the 70's & 80's though.

Probably replacement case though.

Nothing wrong with that as long as price is fair enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information