WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

milestone watch suggestions

3K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  ICUdude 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase my first really nice watch to mark two milestones (the death of my mother and my 40th birthday happened within two months of each other). Looking mainly at Rolex, Tudor, or Omega as I've always considered them to be classic. I have a 6.75" wrist, so ~38mm case size is ideal (my best fitting watch is my Seiko SARB033). Budget is around $3k - $5k, and this would likely be my everyday watch.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a vintage watch from my birth year (1979), so if there are any suggestions for particular models made that year, I'd greatly appreciate it.

#3 ·
There are A LOT to choose from in 1979. Can you narrow down your tastes?

Sporty, casual cross over, dressy? Precious metal? SS, TT? Dial color (light, dark, textured?)? Automatic, manual?

Your budget would get you a nice Air-King, Oysterdate, Datejust, Oyster Precision (like a 9708). 1979 was a good year...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

#10 ·
I think I'd like something that can be worn dressed up or dressed down, regardless of occasion. My current favorite watch is my Seiko SARB033, which fits that mold and is classic and timeless like the Rolex models you mention. So style-wise, I'm looking for a classic yet understated automatic watch.

There are A LOT to choose from in 1979. Can you narrow down your tastes?

Sporty, casual cross over, dressy? Precious metal? SS, TT? Dial color (light, dark, textured?)? Automatic, manual?

Your budget would get you a nice Air-King, Oysterdate, Datejust, Oyster Precision (like a 9708). 1979 was a good year...

#4 ·
Sorry to hear about your mom. I mean this with all respect. Don't worry what we (WISes) think. If you're looking for a commemorative piece, figure out what speaks to you and reminds you of your mother.

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about your mother passing away. Given your preferences... here are some of my recommendations in no specific order

1) Rolex 114270 (36mm but wears larger than that)
2) Tudor BB58
3) Omega CK2998 (311.33.40.30.02.001 or 311.32.40.30.02.001)

Reactions: 5959HH
#16 ·
I would recommend a 34mm or a 36mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual - brand new, and you can write your own story with it.

Don't be put off by the seemingly small sizes.

They both wear a little larger than their nominal sizes suggest.

#20 ·
Sorry for your loss. I to had similar thoughts when my father passed a few years back. My collection of one at the time is now 5.

Going on your size preference and looking for an enduring gift to yourself you need to be 100% happy, so would advise trying on as many as you can. Go do some tyre kicking. You don’t want regret and feel you can’t move it on.

I’d be looking at an mid 2000’s Explorer 2 (40mm) or current Explorer 1. Maybe stretch to a pre-ceramic Sub. Anyone can pull off a 40mm. The BB58 is a great budget buy also if you can secure one.

I get the OP debate, but stay at the 39mm level. It’s not for me, but as mentioned a well discounted Aqua Terra is also a great all rounder at 39mm.

Good luck and look forward to your pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
We have the same size wrist and this is the vintage version of the OP Date.

Whatever size you choose, make sure the lugs don't extend to (or overhang) the edge of your wrist. Lugs are designed to sit flush in the wrist and not stand proud over the curve of your wrist beneath them.

#22 ·
Given your budgetary limits most Rolex models would be excluded. I would tend to agree with @dantan going with an Rolex Oyster Perpetual but would go with either a black or white dial 36mm version. As a point of reference my wrist is also 6.75" and a 34mm watch is too small for my taste.

Another alternative would be a Tudor Black Bay 36mm watch or a Black Bay 58 if you can find one. Last but not least would be a Sinn 856 on bracelet, and buy an extra leather strap or two to rotate with the SS bracelet. I consider the Sinn 856 to be one of the finest daily wearers available anywhere that would easily conform to your budget. You could also consider a Sinn 556 although IMO the Sinn 856 is a much better watch.

#23 ·
Looking to purchase my first really nice watch to mark two milestones (the death of my mother and my 40th birthday happened within two months of each other). Looking mainly at Rolex, Tudor, or Omega as I've always considered them to be classic. I have a 6.75" wrist, so ~38mm case size is ideal (my best fitting watch is my Seiko SARB033). Budget is around $3k - $5k, and this would likely be my everyday watch.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a vintage watch from my birth year (1979), so if there are any suggestions for particular models made that year, I'd greatly appreciate it.
First of all, sorry for your loss. I waited to see some of your reactions to the suggestions before giving you my input. I'll start with your wrist size, even if someone else have the same size, it doesn't mean it's the same shape, some are rounder, some are flatter; only you can tell what is the best size for you, and you already said that ~38mm is ideal for you, so let's stick to it.

IMO, a vintage watch, or a used watch is not an ideal way to mark a milestone in life, and I, personally, don't see the point of buying a watch that was worn by someone else the day that I was born; best case scenario, he was chilling in front of his TV, worst case scenario, he was comitting a crime.

I've thought about getting a Moonwatch since I'm a bit of a space geek, but I'm worried it's just too big for my wrist.
That is settled, and you didn't express an interest in any other Omega, so, let's drop Omega.

I think I'd like something that can be worn dressed up or dressed down, regardless of occasion. My current favorite watch is my Seiko SARB033, which fits that mold and is classic and timeless like the Rolex models you mention. So style-wise, I'm looking for a classic yet understated automatic watch.
Now, you are comparing your favorite watch to classic Rolex models, not to Tudor, or Omega models.

Thank you for the kind words, but I really do need the advice of the forum members here (I've never spent more than $400 on a watch, so I'm not even sure where to begin looking).
Ok, you never spent more than $400 on a watch, and this is going to be your first substential spending on a watch, and it will mark two major milestones in your life, so we'd better get it right. Your budget is $3K - $5K, let's see if we can find the perfect watch that can live up to your expectations.

Sorry to hear about your mum, always sad.
My suggestion would be a 116000
Oyster Perpetual.
Lots of dial colours and styles to choose from.
Blue, Black or White are pretty versatile as everyday choices.
Blue would be a good choice perhaps. New and on budget too.
Here, we have a suggestion for an OP 36, and others suggested OP 34 and OP 39; different sizes, but same watch, same spirit, the pure beauty of a Rolex in all it's simplicity. Not only you can find the pefect fit for your wrist, and the perfect color for your taste, it fits in the budget you already set.

That's gorgeous-- I'm partial to blue dials. I've always thought the Explorer look with the numerals was too sporty, but that looks terrific.
And I agree with you! Judging by your reaction to this picture, I can only imagine your reaction when you'll try it on your wrist. Hope it helped, Good Luck.

#24 ·
First of all, sorry for your loss. I waited to see some of your reactions to the suggestions before giving you my input. I'll start with your wrist size, even if someone else have the same size, it doesn't mean it's the same shape, some are rounder, some are flatter; only you can tell what is the best size for you, and you already said that ~38mm is ideal for you, so let's stick to it.

IMO, a vintage watch, or a used watch is not an ideal way to mark a milestone in life, and I, personally, don't see the point of buying a watch that was worn by someone else the day that I was born; best case scenario, he was chilling in front of his TV, worst case scenario, he was comitting a crime.

That is settled, and you didn't express an interest in any other Omega, so, let's drop Omega.

Now, you are comparing your favorite watch to classic Rolex models, not to Tudor, or Omega models.

Ok, you never spent more than $400 on a watch, and this is going to be your first substential spending on a watch, and it will mark two major milestones in your life, so we'd better get it right. Your budget is $3K - $5K, let's see if we can find the perfect watch that can live up to your expectations.

Here, we have a suggestion for an OP 36, and others suggested OP 34 and OP 39; different sizes, but same watch, same spirit, the pure beauty of a Rolex in all it's simplicity. Not only you can find the pefect fit for your wrist, and the perfect color for your taste, it fits in the budget you already set.

And I agree with you! Judging by your reaction to this picture, I can only imagine your reaction when you'll try it on your wrist. Hope it helped, Good Luck.
Very solid response. I concur that an Oyster Perpetual 36mm might be the best alternative for the OP in this instance if his budget allows. Best to initiate a relationship with a Rolex Authorized Dealer rather than buying gray or preowned if feasible.

#25 ·
The blue OP will for sure put a smile on your face every time you look at it, a happy smile and that's a great way to remember your mother :)

I would not go for birth year, because this is such a sentimental piece that you will more than likely have it for a lifetime, and you want to go with a modern watch to hopefully last as long as you...

#30 ·
It's tough to post any suggestions after that post from PF. Well thought-out, and difficult to argue with anything he has said. Let us know when you try an OP. :-!
Absolutely.

Thanks to everyone for the input. Based on suggestions from this thread and the Omega thread, as well as hours deep diving on the interwebz, I'm leaning toward one of the following models:

1) Rolex OP 36mm (blue "Explorer" style dial)
2) Tudor BB 36mm (blue dial)
3) Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 38.5mm (blue dial or Skyfall model)

There's a Rolex AD nearby, so I'm going to make plans to visit them soon. I'll come back with my findings. :)

#31 ·
Consider thickness when you try them on. I own a SARB033 and a BB36, and I find the BB36 to be a lot thinner than the SARB despite the 1mm difference. I think it's because the BB36 sits on my wrist better. I believe the Aqua Terra is 13mm thick.

I'm a huge fan of my BB36. I see you are interested in blue so below is a thread from another WUS member showcasing its gorgeous dial:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f23/those-beautiful-blues-black-bay-36-%93budget%94-dream-5015525.html

Also, the blue 369 OP is a wonderful watch.

Finally, the AD should have a full-body mirror where you can see how the watch looks on you overall. Please share photos!

Reactions: comixfan
#34 ·
I like to imagine that my watches were previously worn by great men, and that I'm continuing their legacy. To paraphrase Patek, we never own anything - we just watch after it for the next generation. My home is over a century old, so this idea applies there as well. When I buy used things, I appreciate that they have mattered enough to not be thrown away, but instead to be sold on. That doesn't happen to much these days!

#35 ·
Datejust 116200. I'm biased because I recently picked this one up but it's versatile as hell, doesn't scream "ROLEX" (cyclops aside), will outlast me, and just looks fantastic. Its just over one year old and got this secondhand from one of the forums just a hair under you budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions— just wanted to check back in with an update. I finally made it to the nearby Rolex AD, and I can see the frustration many folks experience when trying to buy a Rolex. Not only did they not have any of the watches I wanted to try on (3-6-9 blue OP, blue Black Bay 36, Black Bay Fifty-Eight), but they didn’t even have enough watches for me to successfully choose a case size.

I tried on a blue-dialed Tudor Black Bay in 41mm, which was ginormous, and ended up ruling out the 36mm version because I wasn’t a fan of the dial— the Tudor blue is just too flat, and the style seemed a bit too sporty in person. (I did get to see the famous blue Rolex sunburst dial on a completely different model, though, which I fell in love with, so that’s definitely the route I want to go.)

The 3-6-9 blue OP 36 I was hoping to purchase would have to be special ordered, and there’s no guarantee on an arrival date (they estimated 8 weeks), which was disappointing to hear. The closest thing they had was a silver Datejust 36, which actually felt a bit small, so I asked if they had a 39mm I could try on for comparison (that way I could definitely pick one case size over the other). The only 39mm Rolex they had in the whole store was a brown Cellini, which gave me little to no idea what a 39mm OP would wear like since it’s apples to oranges.

So long story short, I wasn’t about to plunk down $6k to order a watch that A) might not arrive until next year, and B) might end up feeling too small, so I left empty handed (I REALLY wish they’d had a 39 OP for me to compare it to). I’m going to try and visit another dealer soon, and I’ll come back with an update then.

#38 ·
The 3-6-9 blue OP 36 I was hoping to purchase would have to be special ordered, and there's no guarantee on an arrival date (they estimated 8 weeks), which was disappointing to hear.
hang in there. i bought that same OP last fall (it is gorgeous and i love it) after having to wait only a few weeks for one to pop up. they are available, unlike some of the SS sports models.

it's worth the short wait.

#39 ·
So I got to visit another Rolex AD when I went back home for Thanksgiving, and while they didn't have any blue-dialed Oyster Perpetuals, lo and behold they had a Tudor Black Bay 58 on a bracelet. I tried it on and immediately knew this was the watch. The Submariner has been my dream watch since I was a kid, but they're just too big for my wrist (not to mention impossible to find). I am truly amazed at how well this Tudor fits-- I've never had a diver fit me so beautifully, and the gilt bezel and markers immediately reminded me of my mother (gold was her favorite color). The sales associate was wonderful, and when she covered the sales tax and threw in engraving, I was sold. The watch hasn't left my wrist since I purchased it, and I can't help but smile whenever I check the time.

Maybe one day I'll own a 3-6-9 blue-dialed OP, but for now, I'm perfectly content to pocket the $2,000 difference and wear a watch that feels absolutely perfect to me.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and suggestions, and I'll try to add pics tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.