Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Cymruambyth
  • 1 Post By iTreelex
  • 1 Post By Bluco
  • 1 Post By mak1277

Thread: Modern Submariner Patina

Modern Submariner Patina

Hi All,

Something that has intrigued me for some time now is how will the modern day Ceramic Submariner look in 30 years time? I love how the vintage Submariners show their age through faded/scratched aluminium bezels, faded dials and patina lume markers.

How do you think the modern day Submariner will age given its scratch/fade resistant ceremic bezel, luminova markers and glossy dial? I have worn mine for 6 years now and despite some marks on the bracelet it looks as good as the day I bought which is testament to Rolex build quality.

malern and EightEyes like this.

Modern Submariner Patina

I expect patina only in the dial painting and to a lesser degree in lume ( over a longer period of time.

See my Luminova Seiko made in 1995 (24 years ago).

Some dial patina. Lume looks new. I can only imagine Rolex holding up better.

Last edited by DonLuis; 1 Week Ago at 00:48.

Re: Modern Submariner Patina

It won't. And I'm ok with that.
    81sForLife likes this.
    |Ω

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think it's unlikely that you will see any patina develop on super luminova or the scratch resistant ceramic bezel. If you want patina, stick with the tritium and aluminium bezel.

It wont age.

Owners don't want them to, and most owners use them more as jewellery / bling than a tool watch. Or as an 'investment'...

If theres a small chance its going to get a scratch / ding the Sub is coming off and the G-Shock is going on.

If you love how older subs look, get over to Burlington Arcade off Piccadilly and haggle like a mad man.
    5959HH likes this.

I'm very happy that my Sub is not going to have significant patina. If I was buying a vintage Sub, I'd be looking for one that didn't have patina (or better yet, had a brand new service dial, tbh). See sporty's examples of vintage Rolex for what I would be looking for.
    5959HH likes this.

Thread Information