My completed Rolex & Tudor collection & my watch story
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My completed Rolex & Tudor collection & my watch story

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile My completed Rolex & Tudor collection & my watch story

Hello everybody, recently I have completed my Rolex & Tudor watch collection. (I have posted my collection before, but I wanted to take better photos and I am actually finished with collecting now)

When I first started lurking this forum several years back, my holy grail watch was the Tudor Black Bay. The reason being that, a handful of years prior to me discovering this forum, I was gifted the box set of all of the James Bond movies remastered. While watching the Sean Connery movies in particular, I noticed his watch, a late 1950s Rolex Submariner 6538. Back then I had no idea what that watch was, but the sweeping seconds and the lume and general design fascinated me, as I had never seen a watch like that before; so naturally I googled it and to my dismay I discovered just how expensive vintage examples of that watch were (and are) and how expensive the modern Submariner is. But I was also dismayed that the modern Sub didn't look much like the one that Connery wore. I ended up settling on a Wenger Swiss Military watch that looked vaguely similar to an old Sub, then eventually fell into the Invicta 9937/8926 trap and left it at that. But always in the back of my mind I knew that I wanted the real mccoy, even though I could never afford it.

Fast forward a bit and I discovered Watchuseek. And over time I discovered the Tudor Black Bay, and at last I had found my attainable holy grail watch, looks similar to the 6538, has some DNA from it (Tudor used to use 6538 cases and spare parts in their early Submariners when Rolex discontinued it 60 years ago) and at the retail price of ~$3,500 I knew I could get it one day. Well, it took me a handful of years of hard work and patience (I don't make a lot of money), but I eventually got one, a Black Bay 79230.

But, at this point I had become a true WIS, so naturally not only did the James Bond films lead me to get a Black Bay, they opened me up to the entire world of Rolex & Tudor, before long I decided that my ultimate goal was to build a collection of stainless steel Rolex & Tudor sport watches. I didn't think it was possible, I used to think that I would never even own one Tudor or Rolex, but now I have 4. However, now I am satisfied with what I've got, and I will not be buying, selling or trading anymore, at least not until the unforeseeable future.

I know that we all love photos here, so here is a treasure trove of photos of my watches. (Serial numbers have been blurred out for obvious reasons, and the smudge on the Black Bay 36's bezel in the lume shot is because it was reflecting something that I didn't want public).

Also, if anybody is thinking of purchasing the same models of watches that I have, hopefully these photos will help make your decision easier, as I have included macros, super macros, wristshots and lume shots.

Sorry for the somewhat poor quality of some of the photos though. I'm just using my cell phone camera as I don't have a good camera and cannot afford one right now, and these photos were just taken inside my house with less-than-ideal lighting conditions, but alas I tried my best with my limited photography skills:

The collection together in the order in which I purchased them from left to right (All of my watches are on their OEM bands)

Name:  20190617_150740.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  2.24 MB

L to R

-Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230
    -Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36mm 79500
    -Tudor Heritage Ranger 79910
    -Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114200

Detailed photos of each (again apologies for quality and dust, I am not the best photographer in the world and I don't have a studio. I also had to badly crop the photos quickly in Gimp because WUS was being a pain in the butt with the pictures rotation)

Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230, the watch that started it all for me, my original holy grail, purchased and loved almost exclusively because of my passion for its distant connection to the Connery Bond-era Submariners; as close as I'll ever get to owning a 1950s Sub. I know that the rose ETA and BB58 are more popular with the community, but I love my 41mm in-house version, it was all I could get at the time anyway and the 58 wasn't out yet:

Name:  20190617_151140.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  2.52 MB

Love the gold gilt

Name:  20190617_151438.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  2.84 MB

Name:  20190617_151601.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  2.75 MB

It is thicc though

Name:  20190617_155031.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  1.46 MB

This one's got some scratches, all part of the character though

Name:  20190617_152846.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  3.61 MB

Name:  20190617_155621.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  1.91 MB

Lume is fantastic on it

Name:  20190617_155832.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  1.85 MB

Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36mm 79500. Honestly I simply bought this watch for the fun of it. It just greatly appealed to me when I first saw it. Something about the smaller, more classic size is highly appealing. A lot of people say that this watch gives off Explorer vibes. To me it gives off a mixture of Explorer I, II & Submariner vibes, in a 36mm package. To me what it is is a sort of universal Tudor/Rolex style sport/tool watch. It doesn't really fit squarely into any one category, but it is an absolutely perfect watch in my eyes:

Name:  20190617_153243.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  1.81 MB

Name:  20190617_153741.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  2.72 MB

The dial is ink black gloss

Name:  20190617_153932.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  2.26 MB

Name:  20190617_154225.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.49 MB

I've put some wear on this one:

Name:  20190617_154539.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  20190617_160225.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.54 MB

Name:  20190617_160351.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  2.50 MB

Tudor Heritage Ranger 79910. I believe I'm correct in stating that this is the first, and only re-issue of a watch that the Rolex Group has ever done? The original Ranger was discontinued in the 1990s or early 2000s I believe, then Tudor brought it back for the 2014 model year, which also introduced the beginning of the current Heritage range of watches. I bought this because I love that it is the sister watch to the Explorer, in this case specifically the 1016 and as an added little fact, Tudor/Rolex actually registered the name Ranger in the 1920s, way before the Rolex Explorer came to be. The Explorer had the Everest expedition, the Ranger had the Greenland expedition. This watch sold itself to me:

I love the camo strap. Probably my favourite strap of all time

Name:  20190617_160646.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  2.63 MB

Name:  20190617_160734.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  2.59 MB

Matte textured red seconds hand

Name:  20190617_160902.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  3.30 MB

Name:  20190617_161044.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  20190617_161213.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  3.93 MB

Name:  20190617_161431.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  20190617_161609.jpg
Size:  2.27 MB

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114200. I bought this watch (my most recent purchase) because there was one thing I wanted, a brand new 6-digit stainless steel Rolex. I had a firm $5,000 budget, and after shopping around and making some tough decisions, I came to this beauty. To me this is the ultimate expensive dream watch that I was able to acquire. I love the Explorer I vibes that this watch gives off, but with a silver dial, maxi-Datejust-style hands and in a 34mm package:

Name:  20190617_161958.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  1.86 MB

Name:  20190617_162139.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  2.43 MB

The finishing is superb

Name:  20190617_162538.jpg
Size:  2.71 MB

Name:  20190617_162721.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  1.41 MB

Name:  20190617_163427.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  1.45 MB

This one is the most comfortable-wearing

Name:  20190617_163620.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  1.88 MB

I love the bright green lume, very Rolex-themed

Name:  20190617_163858.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  2.82 MB

Well, that concludes my watch collecting for the foreseeable future. Now I'm just going to enjoy these beauties for the years to come. And no, they are not for sale or trade! Although, I hope that I wont need to sell them in the future for financial reasons, but for the time being, this is my completed collection.

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Watch Collection
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114200
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 79500
    Tudor Heritage Ranger 79910
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 694290
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 694390

Re: My completed Rolex & Tudor collection & my watch story

Very nice collection, and great writeup. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wicing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by a_carkhuff View Post
    Very nice collection, and great writeup. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks!
    a_carkhuff likes this.
    My Watch Collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wicing View Post
    Hello everybody, recently I have completed my Rolex & Tudor watch collection. (I have posted my collection before, but I wanted to take better photos and I am actually finished with collecting now)

When I first started lurking this forum several years back, my holy grail watch was the Tudor Black Bay. The reason being that, a handful of years prior to me discovering this forum, I was gifted the box set of all of the James Bond movies remastered. While watching the Sean Connery movies in particular, I noticed his watch, a late 1950s Rolex Submariner 6538. Back then I had no idea what that watch was, but the sweeping seconds and the lume and general design fascinated me, as I had never seen a watch like that before; so naturally I googled it and to my dismay I discovered just how expensive vintage examples of that watch were (and are) and how expensive the modern Submariner is. But I was also dismayed that the modern Sub didn't look much like the one that Connery wore. I ended up settling on a Wenger Swiss Military watch that looked vaguely similar to an old Sub, then eventually fell into the Invicta 9937/8926 trap and left it at that. But always in the back of my mind I knew that I wanted the real mccoy, even though I could never afford it.

Fast forward a bit and I discovered Watchuseek. And over time I discovered the Tudor Black Bay, and at last I had found my attainable holy grail watch, looks similar to the 6538, has some DNA from it (Tudor used to use 6538 cases and spare parts in their early Submariners when Rolex discontinued it 60 years ago) and at the retail price of ~$3,500 I knew I could get it one day. Well, it took me a handful of years of hard work and patience (I don't make a lot of money), but I eventually got one, a Black Bay 79230.

But, at this point I had become a true WIS, so naturally not only did the James Bond films lead me to get a Black Bay, they opened me up to the entire world of Rolex & Tudor, before long I decided that my ultimate goal was to build a collection of stainless steel Rolex & Tudor sport watches. I didn't think it was possible, I used to think that I would never even own one Tudor or Rolex, but now I have 4. However, now I am satisfied with what I've got, and I will not be buying, selling or trading anymore, at least not until the unforeseeable future.

I know that we all love photos here, so here is a treasure trove of photos of my watches. (Serial numbers have been blurred out for obvious reasons, and the smudge on the Black Bay 36's bezel in the lume shot is because it was reflecting something that I didn't want public).

Also, if anybody is thinking of purchasing the same models of watches that I have, hopefully these photos will help make your decision easier, as I have included macros, super macros, wristshots and lume shots.

Sorry for the somewhat poor quality of some of the photos though. I'm just using my cell phone camera as I don't have a good camera and cannot afford one right now, and these photos were just taken inside my house with less-than-ideal lighting conditions, but alas I tried my best with my limited photography skills:

The collection together in the order in which I purchased them from left to right (All of my watches are on their OEM bands)

L to R

Detailed photos of each (again apologies for quality and dust, I am not the best photographer in the world and I don't have a studio. I also had to badly crop the photos quickly in Gimp because WUS was being a pain in the butt with the pictures rotation)

Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230, the watch that started it all for me, my original holy grail, purchased and loved almost exclusively because of my passion for its distant connection to the Connery Bond-era Submariners; as close as I'll ever get to owning a 1950s Sub. I know that the rose ETA and BB58 are more popular with the community, but I love my 41mm in-house version, it was all I could get at the time anyway and the 58 wasn't out yet:

Love the gold gilt

It is thicc though

Lume is fantastic on it

Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36mm 79500. Honestly I simply bought this watch for the fun of it. It just greatly appealed to me when I first saw it. Something about the smaller, more classic size is highly appealing. A lot of people say that this watch gives off Explorer vibes. To me it gives off a mixture of Explorer I, II & Submariner vibes, in a 36mm package. To me what it is is a sort of universal Tudor/Rolex style sport/tool watch. It doesn't really fit squarely into any one category, but it is an absolutely perfect watch in my eyes:

Tudor Heritage Ranger 79910. I believe I'm correct in stating that this is the first, and only re-issue of a watch that the Rolex Group has ever done? The original Ranger was discontinued in the 1990s or early 2000s I believe, then Tudor brought it back for the 2014 model year, which also introduced the beginning of the current Heritage range of watches. I bought this because I love that it is the sister watch to the Explorer, in this case specifically the 1016 and as an added little fact, Tudor/Rolex actually registered the name Ranger in the 1920s, way before the Rolex Explorer came to be. The Explorer had the Everest expedition, the Ranger had the Greenland expedition. This watch sold itself to me:

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114200. I bought this watch (my most recent purchase) because there was one thing I wanted, a brand new 6-digit stainless steel Rolex. I had a firm $5,000 budget, and after shopping around and making some tough decisions, I came to this beauty. To me this is the ultimate expensive dream watch that I was able to acquire. I love the Explorer I vibes that this watch gives off, but with a silver dial, maxi-Datejust-style hands and in a 34mm package:

The finishing is superb

Well, that concludes my watch collecting for the foreseeable future. Now I'm just going to enjoy these beauties for the years to come. And no, they are not for sale or trade! Although, I hope that I wont need to sell them in the future for financial reasons, but for the time being, this is my completed collection.

Thanks for reading!
    Nice
    Last edited by Jason71; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:47.
    Wicing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    Nice
    Thanks!
    My Watch Collection

Wicing
    great story
    great pics
    great watches
    sorry you got burned with the recent trade & scam
    But why post the identical thread here & in Public Forum at the same time?
    s
    Wicing likes this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by Wicing View Post

L to R

Love the gold gilt

It is thicc though

Lume is fantastic on it

The finishing is superb

Thanks for reading!
    Interesting.
    Last edited by Jason71; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:48.
    Wicing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Wicing
    great story
    great pics
    great watches
    sorry you got burned with the recent trade & scam
    But why post the identical thread here & in Public Forum at the same time?
    s
    Just for visibility to get as many responses as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    Interesting.
    My Watch Collection

Nice.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up. Enjoy your watches in good health.
    Wicing likes this.

Curious, since you mentioned the Sub was your original dream watch...would you consolidate and get a Sub or are you happier with these 4?
    Wicing likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information