Need Help! GMT IIc bezel insert came off.

Thread: Need Help! GMT IIc bezel insert came off.

Need Help! GMT IIc bezel insert came off.

Good morning. I was going through airport security this morning and noticed when I picked up my watch from the bin the ceramic bezel insert was gone! Luckily, I found it on the floor where I had taken off my watch. I tried putting back on the watch but it does not want to go into the bezel. I find it odd and disappointing that this happened since the watch was not dropped or hit causing the ceramic ring to separate. I guess I need to visit an AD. Any thoughts? Thankfully, I had my trusty Glycine Lagunare LE in my briefcase.
    Kobold Comanche
    Rolex GMT IIc
    Omega Seamaster Professional
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Railmaster
    Glycine Lagunare LE
    Lots of G-Shocks

Re: Need Help! GMT IIc bezel insert came off.

Quote Originally Posted by gs430 View Post
    Good morning. I was going through airport security this morning and noticed when I picked up my watch from the bin the ceramic bezel insert was gone! Luckily, I found it on the floor where I had taken off my watch. I tried putting back on the watch but it does not want to go into the bezel. I find it odd and disappointing that this happened since the watch was not dropped or hit causing the ceramic ring to separate. I guess I need to visit an AD. Any thoughts? Thankfully, I had my trusty Glycine Lagunare LE in my briefcase.
    I am very sorry about your watch

A little OT, but I NEVER take off my watch for airport security. It will NOT set-off the metal detector. Taking off your watch and running it through the x-ray machine is a good way to get it stolen. One of the guys over on the Doxa forum had his watch stolen in this same manner.

just a little "my 2c worth"
    Best Regards,
    Jason

AAP

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    I am very sorry about your watch

A little OT, but I NEVER take off my watch for airport security. It will NOT set-off the metal detector. Taking off your watch and running it through the x-ray machine is a good way to get it stolen. One of the guys over on the Doxa forum had his watch stolen in this same manner.

just a little "my 2c worth"
    Good point, Jason. I used to always take mine off until I read that account on the Doxa Forum. I've since flown a few times and my Seamaster hasn't set off an alarm yet.

To the OP, I hope you can get that bezel fixed easily.
    Alex

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." - Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey - 1950)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Unfortunatlin our security infested Britain you have to take the watch off

A. dont take your watch off at security checkpoints (even Heathrow)
    B. Send your watch directly to an RSC for repair (insured USPS). There is a good chance the AD will try to send your watch locally, and more so than likely, only RSCs have the tools required to handle ceramic bezels.

Also, any chance of a picture??? If you have no place to post an image, email it to me and I can post on your behalf... There was a report of a broken GMT-C bezel some months back, but it was met with speculation because there was no picture...

-Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    A little OT, but I NEVER take off my watch for airport security. It will NOT set-off the metal detector.
    Me too, +1

Picture Here are the Images.

g340 sent me the images and here are the thumbnails. Larger versions of the images are posted at http://www.minus4plus6.com/photos/photo34.htm#ceramic

Here's the watch head and the ceramic bezel that fell out. Good thing g340 found it before it broke.

Here is a close up of the watch head and the bezel sans insert

Here is the insert

... and the insert underside...

I look forward to reading about the resolution after this watch visits the AD and the RSC. No doubt a local watchmaker can fix this insert.

Here a schematic of the assembly for reference. The .pdf of the schematic posted in the US patent document is posted at http://www.minus4plus6.com/pdf/GMTII-SUBBezel.pdf

-Sheldon

Sheldon/G340 thanks so much for the pictures!!!
    Best Regards,
    Jason

g340 reported yesterday that he dropped off his GMT-C with the New York RSC who indicated "they have seen situations like this before, but that it is uncommon."

The watch will be mailed back to him. If there are "after" pictures, I will post them.

-Sheldon

Re: Here are the Images.

Can you tell how the bezel was retained? Is it just a press fit or do they use an adhesive of some sort? The back of the bezel looks fairly clean?

Thread Information