WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Sub 114060 - what have others experienced regarding rate of 3130 movement? Fast? Slow?

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Fantasio 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a brand-new Sub 114060, which as many will know has the 3130 movement inside. So far it's been running about -1.5 sec/day on average. This is within Rolex's own specification, so I don't see it as a problem, but I'd of course prefer it to be running on the + side of things. What have others experienced with this watch/movement?

#3 ·
With a +/- 2 spd tolerance: 50% would find their watch runs slow, 50% would find the watch runs fast. The reality if you did a poll is 2.5% run slow, 2.5% run fast, and 95% don't care.

If you are averaging -1.5 spd, always hack your watch to 30s fast. Chances are you probably check and set the time 1x weekly so that gives you 20 days until you are running slow.

If you have a life-critical profession or activity that truly requires set-and-forget accuracy, get an atomic syncing quartz.

#6 ·
I also prefer a Watch to be running slightly fast than slightly slow.

Mine is now nearly 5 years old, I think, and it still runs at between +1 second and +2 seconds per 24-hour period.

#8 ·
When I got mine new about six months ago, it was running just under two seconds slow. Now it's running just under a second slow. While this might seem like an improvement since it's closer to zero, I have to say I find the change in rate a bit concerning. Would almost be more reassured if it had stayed exactly where it was. And yes also prefer my watches to run fast, but you can get used to anything.
Your deviation is "likely" due to both your wear pattern (how many hours/days/activity level/resting hours) along with in which position you may store it at night. Do not go by the "old" Rolex paper that says in which positions to gain time, or lose time. That applies to older watches with older lubes and such, and my experimentation (and others') has proved that you need to evaluate your time loss/gain in various night storage positions to find the one that is best for YOUR overall situation. I have found that CROWN UP at night gives me the most gain (or least loss.) But you may be able to fine tune your loss more toward a positive gain if you experiment.

Everyone will tell you that DIAL UP gives the least friction, so the most gain, but my and others' empirical data shows otherwise. (It MAY or may not also be particular to specific watches, too.)

My worst timekeeper (as far as SLOW) is my Sky-Dweller, which is nothing at -0.38 sec/day. My fastest is an old Sub TT that gains +1.86 sec/day. It would take something beyond + or - 2 sec/day to make me want to adjust it. Keep in mind that 2 seconds per day is only 12 minutes over a year, or 1 minute per month. That's really negligible.

#12 ·
My experience is that it is best to wait until 30 to 60 days of consistent normal use have occurred before doing anything if your only complaint is that the watch is within spec but not to your liking. That gives it a chance to "settle" into regular behavior. That also gives you a period of thorough observation and experience of the watch's performance. Here is a screenshot from the FAQ of the Rolex USA website:

Text Font Line Screenshot

#15 ·
I actually just timed mine yesterday. By timed I mean I looked at it versus my computer and compared.

I deliberately set mine two minutes fast just to be safe and the last time I set it was two months ago. As of yesterday my watch was 2:53 ahead, so adjusting for my two minutes added I have gained 53 seconds in 60 days. So mine is running at less than +1 spd. Not bad.

#17 ·
I have mine for nearly 5 years.

For 4 years it had an average of +1.3s/day so within the +2/-2 of the brand, then last summer the bezel broke. It was sent to Switzerland a couple of time because they botched the repair, and eventually when it came back it was a +4.4s/day. I complained and they took it back and kept it for a month.

It was returned to me on the 30th of November, and since that day it took 0.8s total. It has been so accurate I wondered if they put a quartz movement in it!

I time it somewhat daily using twixt on iOS.

François

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.