Non-watch folks wearing Rolex?
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Non-watch folks wearing Rolex?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Non-watch folks wearing Rolex?

My lovely wife is first-generation US with her family in Italy. We’ve become close with her cousin and wife who are Roman. They both have Rolexes but aren’t really watch people. Probably the way the good life should be: good food, good wine, long vacations, and good watches that are taken for granted.

I was commenting on the price increases of his 2015 sub and they couldn’t believe it has actually gone UP in value. He joked he’d sell it but alas it was an anniversary gift. No deal.

My point is that there are folks out there who’d happily part ways with their long-worn watches for a reasonable amount. Anyone have a similar story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Non-watch folks wearing Rolex?

i'll happily let my seadweller go for 20k ;)
    |Ω

Not necessarily super long term, but I've let all my Rolexes go, even my Birthyear Sub.

No + Money = Yes

#TruthOfLife
    GrussGott and osipovval like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think two or three times before commenting on people's watches, since I've found that many owners of better watches are not watch people.
    EHV and LosAngelesTimer like this.

There are no "watch people". On forums, you're led to believe that there are millions of fanatics like us everywhere, wherever you go. You would be wrong. You know the 50 of us that you interact with on WUS? That's it. That's all there is.

"Regular people" spend $5K+ on a wristwatch as a piece of jewelry, a personal indulgence, a status symbol. They outnumber us 1,000,000 to 1. We are the outliers. We are the crazy ones who think the pricey trinket on our wrist is something more than a charm bracelet.
    Rolex Daytona 116500 | Rolex GMT BLRO | Rolex Submariner 5513 | Rolex Explorer 1016 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Datejust 126334 | Man Of Rolex™ Member

Follow Me On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/manofrolex/

Sportura has a point.

I believe that is one of the main reasons why making a comment on a stranger's watch is considered "creepy" by so many people.

My most recent experience of "non watch folks wearing rolex" was at a party. I was in a group whom I didnt really know and the subject of watches came up. One person in the group smiled and I said "you've got a beauty there" (nice sub). He covered his watch and said "You know watches then, what is it?" I said it was a sub and he replied "no, its a Rolex". I thought he was joking but he didnt know anything about it. I explained a bit about the models etc and he didnt seen 1% interested and admitted he only bought it as it was a Rolex. On the subject of mentioning watches to strangers, ive always had fairly nice responses from people but always tread carefully where and when I would mention it. Time and place and all that.
    davek35, drw2, Persecki and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    There are no "watch people". On forums, you're led to believe that there are millions of fanatics like us everywhere, wherever you go. You would be wrong. You know the 50 of us that you interact with on WUS? That's it. That's all there is.

"Regular people" spend $5K+ on a wristwatch as a piece of jewelry, a personal indulgence, a status symbol. They outnumber us 1,000,000 to 1. We are the outliers. We are the crazy ones who think the pricey trinket on our wrist is something more than a charm bracelet.
    This is 100% correct, people here and on other watch forums are living in their own bubble so thick we can forget to see clearly how the world really looks like. Normal Joe Shmoe doesn't give a sh*t about Rolex shortage, if he wants to buy a Rolex he will go to the AD and take the DJ, OP or two tone Sub because it's available or he will choose Omega or Breitling instead. People who work in retail will tell you bunch of stories when client gets back saying the watch is not ticking because he wasn't even aware he has to wear it to keep it wound.
    drw2, draperfish, 5959HH and 2 others like this.

. You know the 50 of us that you interact with on WUS? That's it. That's all there is.
    ^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

I was that guy for decades. It was a watch. so what. I could hammer nails into wood with its case and it was ok, but it was the horological equivalent to Snap On spanners.

i bought an Air King earlier this year. 34mm, white dial, roman numerals. Beautiful watch. The owner really didnt care about it.

Box and papers? Why the hell would I keep those? Spare links? Threw em away.

AUD 2000. For a ten year old Air King.

Most owners are not fanatics. Drawers are full of old Rolex that we would die for. Uncle Jims old watch? I think its in the shed somewhere. Cant be bothered to look for it.

Not everyone is as obsessed as we are.

Elvis has left the building ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information