Opinions on Omega - Page 101
Like Tree77487Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 101 of 7105 FirstFirst ... 51 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 151 201 601 1101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 71041

Re: Opinions on Omega

Yes, we are not talking about watches here, although this is triggered by a watch discussion.
    It is perfectly fine to feel proud of someone's achievement, but it is different from look down upon others, other brand and other people.

I am taught to be humble, don't judge someone by his/her appearance or possession, be compassionate to others who are less fortunate and help them when ever possible. These are the moral values taught to me. And some comments are opposite. I know in North America education system, these moral values are not being taught in school anymore which is unfortunate.

Also, I highly believe these comments are being made because we are in a cyber world. If someone shows himself like this in real life, I am sure no one will like him and he won't get very far. After all, we live in a society and need to work together with other people. To be a leader, one needs to have the quality to attract people to follow him. No one wants to follow someone who brag about his possessions or look down upon others or shows no compassion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    domayotte and borchard929 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dealaddict View Post
    Yes, we are not talking about watches here, although this is triggered by a watch discussion.
    It is perfectly fine to feel proud of someone's achievement, but it is different from look down upon others, other brand and other people.

I am taught to be humble, don't judge someone by his/her appearance or possession, be compassionate to others who are less fortunate and help them when ever possible. These are the moral values taught to me. And some comments are opposite. I know in North America education system, these moral values are not being taught in school anymore which is unfortunate.

Also, I highly believe these comments are being made because we are in a cyber world. If someone shows himself like this in real life, I am sure no one will like him and he won't get very far. After all, we live in a society and need to work together with other people. To be a leader, one needs to have the quality to attract people to follow him. No one wants to follow someone who brag about his possessions or look down upon others or shows no compassion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your last paragraph is bang on. Sportura needs the anonymity of the internet to feel good about himself. I know he will say that it is all tongue in cheek but it is obvious there is an element of need and yearning of acknowledgement. His pathetic big noting feeds an obvious small man’s complex.

In Australian we call these people piss ants.
    Shropshire_Tom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco53 View Post
    Hang on, did Rolex actually say "we paid money to appear in the following movies......."?
    As far as I'm aware, they haven't. And if you read what I wrote, I never claimed they did. As far as I'm aware, Omega has never said "we pay money to have our watches appear in James Bond movies". They even seem to have encouraged puff-pieces which imply (but never state) that they did or do not pay for product placement. Nonetheless, you and I, and pretty much everyone else, strongly suspects that Omega does indeed pay for product placement, though none of us know for sure. Perhaps Rolex pays for product placement, maybe they don't. But I've no more or less reason for thinking they do pay than I have for thinking Omega pays (and I'd be most surprised if Omega isn't paying).

...Mike
    Last edited by mfunnell; October 28th, 2017 at 05:39. Reason: comma
    BarracksSi likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    I dont get it? how much did the watch actually cost you sporty?

$18,000. I went grey market after waiting a year for Rolex on a waiting list to nowhere.

MSRP is $12,500. Tax brings it up to $13,500. So the delta between buying it from Rolex or buying it grey was $4,500 or the cost of a Datejust I was only wearing once a year.

But today's news about the Newman sale is a gamechanger. I'm sure grey prices on the Daytona Ceramic will push northwards, but more importantly is how the watch makes me feel when I wear it. And now the world knows, even more than before, what kind of man wears a Daytona. There are people who look at my wrist and think my watch cost $50,000. Now they'll look at it and think it cost $1.8M.

And that, my friends, is the power of Rolex. Snoopy, Tin Tin, hashtags, and secret agents simply cannot compare.
    Cobia, Will_f and starter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    But today's news about the Newman sale is a gamechanger.
    To be fair, Paul's 1968 was running the Valjoux Calibre 72.

From there the Daytona used the Zenith El Primero for a number of years (1988 to 1999) but they under-clocked it and obscured the date features.

Only in 2000 did Rolex begin to use their own movement.

My Impresario with the El Primero is also thus related to the Daytona's, and frankly much preferred to my eye anyway. Paul's has celebrity status, mine is better finished all the way around:

Name:  18K Impresario Small.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  128.1 KB
    Ball ~ Concord ~ Corum ~ Ebel ~ Ginault ~ Maurice Lacroix ~ Omega ~ Rolex ~ Seiko ~ Tudor

Field Marshall 15,000 of Sticky Thread OoO

Quote Originally Posted by highbob View Post
    Hmm. And to think, this thread started as a query into the group’s opinions on Omega.
    On that note, here's my opinion of my Aqua Terra and the 8500 Co-Axial with 60 hour Reserve courtesy of my Lepsi Watch Analyzer. Note however that the amplitudes are under-reported due to a microphone "fix" that Motorola installed in July and that I cannot remove (I'm not happy).

Name:  Omega Aqua Terra Lepsi 10-28-17.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  186.4 KB

Rolex fans (and I own the 214270 Explorer) can talk down on Omega all they want, but this is not a second fiddle movement, and no amount of trash talk can change that fact.

Warning.... wrist shot to follow!

Name:  P1010212 small.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  437.0 KB
    Last edited by StephenCanale; October 28th, 2017 at 07:19.
    highbob likes this.
    Ball ~ Concord ~ Corum ~ Ebel ~ Ginault ~ Maurice Lacroix ~ Omega ~ Rolex ~ Seiko ~ Tudor

Field Marshall 15,000 of Sticky Thread OoO

But but but, Rolex is the best. Rolex should have blow arse on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post

$18,000. I went grey market after waiting a year for Rolex on a waiting list to nowhere.

MSRP is $12,500. Tax brings it up to $13,500. So the delta between buying it from Rolex or buying it grey was $4,500 or the cost of a Datejust I was only wearing once a year.

But today's news about the Newman sale is a gamechanger. I'm sure grey prices on the Daytona Ceramic will push northwards, but more importantly is how the watch makes me feel when I wear it. And now the world knows, even more than before, what kind of man wears a Daytona. There are people who look at my wrist and think my watch cost $50,000. Now they'll look at it and think it cost $1.8M.

And that, my friends, is the power of Rolex. Snoopy, Tin Tin, hashtags, and secret agents simply cannot compare.
    I disagree. I don't think the sale of a vintage watch at auction will change the prices of a brand new model straight from the factory. That would be like a Shelby Mustang selling for a record price and then car lots across America raising their prices on a Mustang.

Nice photoshop job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    sportura likes this.

Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCanale View Post
    On that note, here's my opinion of my Aqua Terra and the 8500 Co-Axial with 60 hour Reserve courtesy of my Lepsi Watch Analyzer. Note however that the amplitudes are under-reported due to a microphone "fix" that Motorola installed in July and that I cannot remove (I'm not happy).

Name:  Omega Aqua Terra Lepsi 10-28-17.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  186.4 KB

Rolex fans (and I own the 214270 Explorer) can talk down on Omega all they want, but this is not a second fiddle movement, and no amount of trash talk can change that fact.

Warning.... wrist shot to follow!

Name:  P1010212 small.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  437.0 KB
    Would it bother you if I threw up numbers for a cheaper watch that delivers better performance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Will_f; October 28th, 2017 at 08:48.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Quote Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
    As far as I'm aware, they haven't. And if you read what I wrote, I never claimed they did. As far as I'm aware, Omega has never said "we pay money to have our watches appear in James Bond movies". They even seem to have encouraged puff-pieces which imply (but never state) that they did or do not pay for product placement. Nonetheless, you and I, and pretty much everyone else, strongly suspects that Omega does indeed pay for product placement, though none of us know for sure. Perhaps Rolex pays for product placement, maybe they don't. But I've no more or less reason for thinking they do pay than I have for thinking Omega pays (and I'd be most surprised if Omega isn't paying).

...Mike
    Let me ask - are you saying that Rolex paid to have their watch placed in a 1955 James Dean movie?

A simple yes or no will suffice.
    • I currently own 6 Rolex watches, from a new Submariner Ceramic to a 1963 Oysterdate Precision.
    • I have continuously owned Rolex watches for over 37 years, starting with a GMT M in 1980.
    • I have owned 12 Omegas, from a 1939 30T2 to a Seamaster 200.
    • I own 2 Seiko Divers, owning one since 1979.

I post from actual experience.

Thread Information