Opinions on Omega - Page 103
Like Tree82484Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 103 of 7687 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 153 203 603 1103 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 76862

Re: Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Jtragic View Post
    lets be clear tho, it was 18MM to charity for the watch. big difference.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    There are some mistakes.

It is 18 million. Do you type one more M by mistake?

Also, I haven't seen anywhere states that the 18M all goes to charity. In the below article, it says "Cox will donate a significant portion of the sale price to the Nell Newman Foundation."

But again, who knows that is the "significant amount"

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forb...t-auction/amp/

Also, I read people keep on saying Rolex is owned by a charity, this is not true. It is owned by a "non-profit organization" which is not the same as "charity". Even though the company may donate money to charity like most other companies do, it itself is not a charity organization. So, don't comfort yourself by thinking the money you pay for the watch will goes to someone in need. Same as that 18million for Paul Newmans Daytona. Most goes into Cox pocket.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Rolex-a-non...-And-if-so-why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dealaddict View Post
    There are some mistakes.

It is 18 million. Do you type one more M by mistake?

Also, I haven't seen anywhere states that the 18M all goes to charity. In the below article, it says "Cox will donate a significant portion of the sale price to the Nell Newman Foundation."

But again, who knows that is the "significant amount"

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forb...t-auction/amp/

Also, I read people keep on saying Rolex is owned by a charity, this is not true. It is owned by a "non-profit organization" which is not the same as "charity". Even though the company may donate money to charity like most other companies do, it itself is not a charity organization. So, don't comfort yourself by thinking the money you pay for the watch will goes to someone in need. Same as that 18million for Paul Newmans Daytona. Most goes into Cox pocket.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Rolex-a-non...-And-if-so-why

Well, actually there's only one mistake. I was under the impression that Cox was auctioning it for charity, which could cause a significant bump in the price if the person was getting a tax writeoff. Mea culpa.

As for the rest of your reply,
    a. MM is an abbreviation for million
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 184
Size:  19.1 KB
    b. I never said anything about Rolex being a charity, so not sure why that part of your response is relevant.
    c. "So, don't comfort yourself by thinking the money you pay for the watch will goes to someone in need." Not sure how you know anything about me to make this assertion. Please feel free to keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.
    d. "Most goes into Cox pocket." I'm curious how you know this.
    Last edited by Jtragic; October 28th, 2017 at 23:11.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jtragic View Post
    Well, actually there's only one mistake. I was under the impression that Cox was auctioning it for charity, which could cause a significant bump in the price if the person was getting a tax writeoff. Mea culpa.

As for the rest of your reply,
    a. MM is an abbreviation for million
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 184
Size:  19.1 KB
    b. I never said anything about Rolex being a charity, so not sure why that part of your response is relevant.
    c. "So, don't comfort yourself by thinking the money you pay for the watch will goes to someone in need." Not sure how you know anything about me to make this assertion. Please feel free to keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.
    d. "Most goes into Cox pocket." I'm curious how you know this.
    Yup, sorry, those comments about saying Rolex is owned by a charity is not addressing to you. I read somewhere in the thread that someone said Rolex is owned by a charity.

So, I should say, for those who thought Rolex is owned by a charity ....

Sorry for not being clear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dealaddict View Post
    Yup, sorry, those comments about saying Rolex is owned by a charity is not addressing to you. I read somewhere in the thread that someone said Rolex is owned by a charity.

So, I should say, for those who thought Rolex is owned by a charity ....

Sorry for not being clear.

Good. Are we done with the spelling errors now? MM or M, it's all good, having a net worth in the double-digit M's is what it's all about.

Here's a photo of an Omega I don't wear anymore. Rendered obsolete by the Rolex I was finally able to afford to replace it. Once you have your dive watch, your dress watch, and your chronograph under the Rolex brand, the rest become disposable. Pity. I used to really love this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post

Good. Are we done with the spelling errors now? MM or M, it's all good, having a net worth in the double-digit M's is what it's all about.

Here's a photo of an Omega I don't wear anymore. Rendered obsolete by the Rolex I was finally able to afford to replace it. Once you have your dive watch, your dress watch, and your chronograph under the Rolex brand, the rest become disposable. Pity. I used to really love this watch.
    Am I to assume that you’ve only recently achieved sufficient wealth to pay the price premium of a Rolex over Omega? There’s not that much of a price premium. I think you could have afforded the Rolex when you bought the Omega. It’s ok if you wanted an Omega Sportura. We won’t shame you for it.

Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Has Omega introduced a 45mm Speedmaster that I’m not aware of ?
    Cobia and Shropshire_Tom like this.

I have owned several variants of the seamaster, and Speedmaster. I also have owned handfuls of Rolexes. Both brands are superb and excellent in terms of history.

I would prefer Rolex over Omega in terms of refinement. I find the new co-axial movements to be too thick in my opinion. (Still an awesome movement to say the least) Some people are going to frown upon this but I honestly think Omega needs to make an in-house handwind movement for the Speedmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCanale View Post

Case in point, when confronted with evidence that Rolex might not actually be 10x the quality/performance of an Omega, Rosco53 can only reply:

But I don't make any special claims for Omega as a brand, I prefer to evaluate most watches on their own merit.

Again, to be clear, I also own a Rolex Explorer 214270 MKII so I'm not exactly a "hater" either.... just rational.
    The thread is entitled "Opinions of Omega.

I gave mine.

Second opinion, Rolex are not 10X the price of Omega, but they should be.

Having said that, if Omega keep discounting any further it will reach that point.
    sportura likes this.
    • I currently own 6 Rolex watches, from a new Submariner Ceramic to a 1963 Oysterdate Precision.
    • I have continuously owned Rolex watches for over 37 years, starting with a GMT M in 1980.
    • I have owned 12 Omegas, from a 1939 30T2 to a Seamaster 200.
    • I own 2 Seiko Divers, owning one since 1979.

I post from actual experience.

Rolex holdings is indeed in a charitable trust. It is one of the largest in Europe and does good things with its largess. When founder Hans Wildorf realized he had no heirs to take over the business...you know the story.

Upon the death of his wife Florence Frances May Crotty in 1944, he established the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation, to which he left all of his shares in Rolex, making sure that an amount of the company's income would go to charity. The company remains a foundation to the present day.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post

That's WAY nicer than your illegible Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thread Information