Opinions on Omega - Page 104
Like Tree80882Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 104 of 7558 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 154 204 604 1104 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 75576

Re: Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post

Good. Are we done with the spelling errors now? MM or M, it's all good, having a net worth in the double-digit M's is what it's all about.

Here's a photo of an Omega I don't wear anymore. Rendered obsolete by the Rolex I was finally able to afford to replace it. Once you have your dive watch, your dress watch, and your chronograph under the Rolex brand, the rest become disposable. Pity. I used to really love this watch.
    Sporty you could do with some sun and a few weights sessions lol, youre looking a bit slender and pasty here, for a moment there i thought this was a ladies wrist but then i noticed a few stray hairs ;)
    Ive seen stronger and healthier looking wrists on 80yo vegans lol
    Im concerned about your health my friend, are you getting enough sun and red meat?
    No point in having all these flashy watches if you are going to put them on run down real estate ;)
    Last edited by Cobia; October 29th, 2017 at 10:57.
    Galaga likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    Sporty you could do with some sun and a few weights sessions lol, youre looking a bit slender and pasty here ;)
    ;)
    errrr - That's not his wrist he has the watch wrapped around....... :)
    • I currently own 6 Rolex watches, from a new Submariner Ceramic to a 1963 Oysterdate Precision.
    • I have continuously owned Rolex watches for over 37 years, starting with a GMT M in 1980.
    • I have owned 12 Omegas, from a 1939 30T2 to a Seamaster 200.
    • I own 2 Seiko Divers, owning one since 1979.

I post from actual experience.

OK...I just want to throw my $0.02 in (thats all its really worth to be honest). I bought my first Rolex this year, a 16013 Datejust. I have wanted a Rolex since I was 18yrs old. Why Rolex? ????
    Maybe becasue I grew up on government assistance, in a tiny little town in SE Oklahoma, where a LOT of people never leave. Maybe to me, it was a symbol of what I wanted to be someday. And honestly, I NEVER thought I'd EVER get the chance to actually own one?!
    But 32 yrs later I did. I love the way it looks. I love the way it feels on my wrist. I love what it means to me.
    I have also owned a Seamaster quartz and several very nice vintage Seamaster automatics.
    They all ended up being currency to get other watches that I was looking at.
    I just got my first Speedmaster, a 39mm Triple Date. Its a lovely watch, and I am very glad that I can now say I own one.

That being said, here is my opinion on the whole Rolex v Omega thing:
    Would I trade my Speedmaster for a Rolex? Absolutely.
    Would I trade my Datejust for an Omega? Absolutely not.
    Why? ?????
    That's just MY Weltanschauung. Others may not agree, and that's ok.
    The Collection:
    Rolex 2004 Sea Dweller 16600
    BREITLING ​Super Avenger A13370
    HAMILTON H70605731 Khaki Field Murph
    OMEGA 1954 Omega Automatic Cal 490
    TISSOT Vintage T12 Visodate
    SEIKO SRPC 93 Save The Ocean Samurai | Land Monster SNM037 |
    SNKP23 Recraft | SNE109 Solar Diver
    ORIENT M Force Bravo EL0A-D1
    CITIZEN Skyhawk A-T
    LE JOUR Vintage Diver
    Zodiac Glorious
    BULOVA ​Vintage Seaking M9

Elgin
    Vintage Shockmaster
    Timex
    Red Wing Waterbury Chronograph | Allied Chronograph TW2R46700 | Expedition T49891
    Invicta
    9937OB
    Momentum
    M1 Deep 6 Professional

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Will_f View Post
    Am I to assume that you’ve only recently achieved sufficient wealth to pay the price premium of a Rolex over Omega? There’s not that much of a price premium. I think you could have afforded the Rolex when you bought the Omega. It’s ok if you wanted an Omega Sportura. We won’t shame you for it.
    No, it was a combination of not wanting to spend more than $15,000 on a single timepiece, just personal preference, and the fact that there was no Rolex I lusted after that eclipsed that financial threshold.

The Daytona Ceramic changed all this. I coudln't stand the prior generation with that ugly steel bezel and that small looking dial. But the 116500 with that black bezel just made the watch look larger, gave it great wrist presence, just had to have one.

The Speedmaster is the chronograph you choose when you can't (or won't) afford a Daytona. And, for awhile, it was better looking than the Daytona. But Rolex flipped the script, made the Speedmaster obsolete.
    Will_f likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by urban_alchemist View Post
    That's WAY nicer than your illegible Daytona.
    For people who use a watch to tell time, perhaps. For those more interested in making a statement reflective of our personalities and lifestyle, not a chance.

A Daytona tells the world you've made it. A Speedmaster tells the world you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    Sporty you could do with some sun and a few weights sessions lol, youre looking a bit slender and pasty here, for a moment there i thought this was a ladies wrist but then i noticed a few stray hairs ;)
    Ive seen stronger and healthier looking wrists on 80yo vegans lol
    Im concerned about your health my friend, are you getting enough sun and red meat?
    No point in having all these flashy watches if you are going to put them on run down real estate ;)
    There's an interesting theme developing with you Omega people. Seems that you need to brag about your bodies because you can't brag about your watches. And it seems you need buff bodies to impress the ladies and the coworkers.

Two takeaways there:

1. For self-righteous people so quick to preach about morality and the virtues of not showing-off or bragging you spend a lot of time showing-off and bragging.

2. The countless hours you spend in a gym away from your families and exerting effort like a blue collar worker still can't get you half the respect that the right watch can.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard929 View Post
    But 32 yrs later I did. I love the way it looks. I love the way it feels on my wrist. I love what (Rolex) means to me.

That being said, here is my opinion on the whole Rolex v Omega thing:
    Would I trade my Speedmaster for a Rolex? Absolutely.

Others may not agree, and that's ok.
    Great post. The more that we watch enthusiasts are honest with our motivations and our decisions the better.

Would I trade my Speedmaster for a Rolex? Absolutely. In fact, I did. Two of them. Moved my 1964 Ed White and my 1957 Re-issue so I could end the waitlist frustration and get a Rolex Daytona Ceramic that same week.

Best decision I ever made. The Omega's made me feel ordinary. The Rolex makes me feel extraordinary.
    Last edited by sportura; October 29th, 2017 at 20:35.

There's an interesting theme developing with you Omega people. Seems that you need to brag about your bodies because you can't brag about your watches. And it seems you need buff bodies to impress the ladies and the coworkers.

Two takeaways there:

1. For self-righteous people so quick to preach about morality and the virtues of not showing-off or bragging you spend a lot of time showing-off and bragging.

2. The countless hours you spend in a gym away from your families and exerting effort like a blue collar worker still can't get you half the respect that the right watch can.
    Name:  Australian-Kayak-Marlin-YouTube.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  115.2 KB
    Shropshire_Tom and JoeC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mj421 View Post
    Rolex holdings is indeed in a charitable trust. It is one of the largest in Europe and does good things with its largess. When founder Hans Wildorf realized he had no heirs to take over the business...you know the story.

Upon the death of his wife Florence Frances May Crotty in 1944, he established the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation, to which he left all of his shares in Rolex, making sure that an amount of the company's income would go to charity. The company remains a foundation to the present day.
    Legally, yes, it is registered as a "charity" in Switzerland. However, the fact is the Trust that manage Rolex never publish the financial and no one really know how much money is being donated to charity. Many people wonder where the money goes and this is widely discussed in the internet. I found another informative article below.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...on-profit.html

The fact is no one takes the profit and the money goes back to the company which includes the salary, research and development, and manufacturing cost. The rest goes into a bank account. Also, because of it being register as a non-profit organization, it doesn't pay tax! I wonder what are the salaries and benefits for the employees. I can only imagine they must be super good.

Anyway, i don't think Rolex is a charity like UNICEF or World Vision ... etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    highbob likes this.

Opinions on Omega

Two takeaways there:

Hey Sporty,
    I am a Rolex guy through and through.
    I own a couple of Rolexes and NO Omegas.
    I have to side with the opinions above- you need more sun, some weights, and more meat in your diet
    On your points above:
    #1. I have no problem with people bragging about what they CAN DO. Some of my friends are very accomplished professionals that can (and probably should, but they don’t...don’t ask me why) about their achievements.
    I have an issue with wankers bragging about what they have bought. I know a bunch of trust fund babies. They can buy A LOT. Without earning/ deserving anything

#2. Who said anybody spends “countless hours” in the gym????
    I know that for a pencil- pusher achieving a semi-decent human physique can seem a daunting task... but if you just go and do 3 days a week/ 30 minutes each day you might be surprised.
    If you are consistent enough, you might be able to undress in front of your significant other with the lights on one day (far away) in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sntangerbgbg; October 29th, 2017 at 18:20.
    Cobia likes this.

Thread Information