Opinions on Omega - Page 3
Like Tree81067Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 3 of 7575 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 503 1003 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on Omega

I am an owner of both. Both are good watches.

I believe that rolex makes a superior product but you also pay for that.

For example a subc date is in everyway, especially fit, finish and presence, a better watch that a SM or PO.

That said I like the AT more than the DJ41 in design and looks.

So both good, but not on the same level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thestrapguy, MOV, Drksaint and 1 others like this.
    Watch List:

Mont Blanc Star XXL Automatic (Ref. 101644)
    Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 RS (Ref. CAV511A.BA0902)
    Rolex Explorer 39mm (Ref. 214270)
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Sapphire Sandwich (Ref. 3573.50)
    Rolex Submariner (Ref. 114060)
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Ref. 79230B)
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 (Ref. CV01AJ.BA0727)
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3227)
    Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3239)
    Mont Blanc Star 4810 Automatic (Ref. 102340)
    Rolex Datejust II (Ref. 116300)

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavid90 View Post
    I find Omega on par with Rolex, heritage aside except for Omega's moonwatch, which is on par heritage included, hence in most serious collections.

Doesn't apply to their many unlimited "limited" editions though, I feel most of that is marketing but that's just my opinion .

The watch enthusiast who secretly hopes the GMT Master will come in a 44mm diameter someday.
    I had/still have a few Omegas. Brand recognition will depend on which part of the world you are at. I like the brand, the watches. Few things I don't like, too many iterations of watches. U can have like a certain model with many color schemes/editions. They are trying to price like Rolex which is unrealistic. Hate the resale of Omega watches too. Even when ur not the first owner.

I own both brands btw. My 2 cents.
    DrDavid90 and tonyfu919 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thestrapguy View Post
    I had/still have a few Omegas. Brand recognition will depend on which part of the world you are at. I like the brand, the watches. Few things I don't like, too many iterations of watches. U can have like a certain model with many color schemes/editions. They are trying to price like Rolex which is unrealistic. Hate the resale of Omega watches too. Even when ur not the first owner.

I own both brands btw. My 2 cents.
    Yes, their marketing is milking the he** out of the speedmaster's moonwatch heritage

The watch enthusiast who secretly hopes the GMT Master will come in a 44mm diameter someday.
    tonyfu919 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

rhj

I own two of both and my daily wearer is an Explorer 39mm, in my opinion the best every day watch.
    I find Omegas a lot more elegant, technically advanced and estethically designed better. But for quality and robustness I would always prefer a Rolex.
    So, every day all day Rolex, sometimes in the evening Omega..
    here to learn

I owned both until recently when I gave my lightly used Omega SMPc to my brother-in-law... It just didn't get any wrist time:( Omega has always attracted my attention, I love their designs and quality of workmanships. Alas, I moved away from their divers as they just became too big... Even the classic SMPc with 2500 mov't is too big for my bony 7.25" wrists... and heavy, too...

When I moved up to Rolex Subc (114060), it just fits so much better, the oyster bracelet is pure perfection, lighter and more comfy... Better case proportions at 40mm... The bezel action and design, another big advantage... The adjustable bracelet on Rolex is a huge plus, too... I know all subjective reasons, but so many;)

The only negative I can say about Omega is that they are releasing way too many new models and special editions, and have been raising their prices aggressively over the past decade... In my mind Omega at over $4,000-$5,000 is a lot to digest... OTOH, Rolex holds its prices better, but it also costs much more than Omega...

Overall, I like both companies but Rolex wins for me on so many counts, every day;)
    Aliosa_007 and mleok like this.
    Rolex / Grand Seiko / Tag Heuer / Garmin / Suunto

Nothing wrong with enjoying both!
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my decidedly non-expert opinion, Omega is sort of the anti-Rolex, if you consider:

- Rolex goes small; Omega goes large
    - Rolex is slow to change designs, preferring incremental and frequently unannounced changes; Omega is trying new designs, materials, colors, sizes, etc every year in a dizzying array, and there isn't an improvement that isn't presented to the public as a mark of distinction.
    - Rolex's collection is largely based on variations of the simple three-hander; Omega's collections are largely based on variations of a chronograph.
    - Rolex's movement design philosophy is basically, "robust and simple;" Omega's movement design philosophy is basically, "superior technology makes a superior watch."
    - With regards to marketing, Rolex sells you a watch for a lifetime of adventure; Omega sells you a watch tailored to your moods and preferences.

Now, one can debate who has the "right" of it, but I think it boils down to two very different mindsets and approaches to watchmaking. I think each have their merits and drawbacks. At the end of the day, it's about which aesthetic fits you better. Or do what I did and enjoy both brands.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

i own both. Im a huge fan of the speedy pro and seamaster line, I just dont like the 100 iterations of each model. I dont want a lighter side of the dark side of the moon. (actually I really like the DSOTM speedie) . I really like the 60th aniv reissue, proplof and mark II are great. If they would stop raising the prices and get control of the market they would do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Crate410 View Post
    So both good, but not on the same level.
    Thought about this today waiting for the pool boy to bring me my daquiri and I think the OP is asking the wrong question. Omega is nothing like Rolex.

The question should be how Omega is like Tudor. That's a better comparison.
    Last edited by sportura; June 29th, 2017 at 21:45.

All Omega owners are jerks! Their fathers are hamsters and their mothers smell of elderberries.

Seriously though, I love Omega. I think right now they're overdoing with the changes to models and putting out too many LEs, but their watches are top notch. I wish they'd do a more solid version of the 1171 and ditch the 1998 bracelet for the Speedmaster, though; the 1998 doesn't taper and has those polished edges, which just doesn't fit with a watch like the 1171. What I want is a solid link 1171 that retains the 20-16mm taper.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 3 of 7575 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 503 1003 ... LastLast

Thread Information