Opinions on Omega - Page 42
Like Tree82210Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 42 of 7665 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 542 1042 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 76646
  1. #411
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,354

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Galaga View Post
    Thanks mate. We have a stereotyped blinkered Man of Rolex here. He didnít realise that.
    Its in the Rolex area though.

    I don't go pasting detrimental comments in the Omega thread - in fact I have never even looked at it, despite having owned many Omegas.

    I am not sure why someone would do the reverse.


    (warm enough for you today? I should have gone to Manly beach.....)
    • I currently own 6 Rolex watches, from a new Submariner Ceramic to a 1963 Oysterdate Precision.
    • I have continuously owned Rolex watches for over 37 years, starting with a GMT M in 1980.
    • I have owned 12 Omegas, from a 1939 30T2 to a Seamaster 200.
    • I own 2 Seiko Divers, owning one since 1979.


    I post from actual experience.

  2. #412
    Member hydrocarbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,846

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco53 View Post
    Anyone can afford a Rolex FFS. Its $5-8K you are giving to the AD, not your firstborn to Satan.

    What we are talking about here is value priority.

    I personally value long term investments - property, antiques, education, and Rolex.

    Other people out there value short term pleasure divestitures. That's their choice. But its not acceptable to blow your money on drugs and hookers then make comment about my watch.

    And on Monday morning, when the dugs have worn off and you are back at the clinic with that nasty rash, I still have my Roex on my arm.

    Its about Values.

    [...]
    Let's not be silly... they're not mutually exclusive values. It's completely possible to wear a Rolex and still get to enjoy alcohol and drugs. :)
    Rosco53, sportura, highbob and 1 others like this.
    ó ó

  3. #413
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Blackburn United Kingdom
    Posts
    32

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Thereís no getting away from the facts that some Rolex owners are pretentious prats, but not because they wear a Rolex but because pretentious pratís generally need to show off their pretentiousness to the rest of us mere plebs in order for them to feel more superior. For the record no I donít own an high end watch, but hopefully I will one day and yes Iíd probably get a Rolex Sub or Explorer II but not because I want the world to know Iím superior, rather that I love the rich historical/horological/mechanical elements of these wonderful timepieces.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #414
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    57

    Opinions on Omega

    Men of Rolex ROTFL that's really funny. You should go to Singapore or Hong Kong and meet Men of Rolex there. Everybody wears it in Singapore and Hong Kong. It's as common as G-shock.
    Last edited by Speedsterbob; September 23rd, 2017 at 13:31.
    Cobia, highbob and aron like this.

  6. #415
    Member Seaswirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,265

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by SolarCycles1963 View Post
    Thereís no getting away from the facts that some Rolex owners are pretentious prats, but not because they wear a Rolex but because pretentious pratís generally need to show off their pretentiousness to the rest of us mere plebs in order for them to feel more superior. For the record no I donít own an high end watch, but hopefully I will one day and yes Iíd probably get a Rolex Sub or Explorer II but not because I want the world to know Iím superior, rather that I love the rich historical/horological/mechanical elements of these wonderful timepieces.
    Unfortunately, this thread proves your point. In defense of non-Prat Rolex owners, the member at issue is a bit of an anomaly, and he doesn't represent the majority of Rolex owners. He's been banned on another Rolex forum, and he's widely ignored here. Sub or ExpII would be a great choice, both are solid watches that will give you decades of enjoyment.

  7. #416
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,312

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Why do modern Hondas suck so much? I was a die hard Honda fanboy and I've moved on to Toyota.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galaga View Post
    Honda is crap now. Get out of the 90's will you. Mazda have now taken over Honda. And BMW were great in the 80s and early 90's but ever since they started making cars in South Africa et al things started to wane.

    You are an obvious victim of marketing spin which is exactly where companies like Rolex want you to be.

    'But It's not a Rolex' Do you even realise how much of a misinformed knob you sound like?

  8. #417
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,312

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    First of all, not anyone can afford a Rolex, I don't know what world you're living in. $5 to $8k for a watch is completely unattainable for the VAST majority of the world. Why are you so judgmental about anyone who drinks or uses drugs? For some people, experiences are more important than trinkets. Maybe they'd prefer a fun night out with friends (with or without drugs and drinking), a vacation somewhere exotic, or a live play or sports event over a Rolex. What's wrong with that? You choose to be a grumpy lonely old man who is judging anyone having fun while hoarding Rolexes and they choose not to be like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco53 View Post
    Anyone can afford a Rolex FFS. Its $5-8K you are giving to the AD, not your firstborn to Satan.

    What we are talking about here is value priority.

    I personally value long term investments - property, antiques, education, and Rolex.

    Other people out there value short term pleasure divestitures. That's their choice. But its not acceptable to blow your money on drugs and hookers then make comment about my watch.

    And on Monday morning, when the dugs have worn off and you are back at the clinic with that nasty rash, I still have my Roex on my arm.

    Its about Values.

    And even schoolkids can buy a nice Omega on Ebay for a couple of hundred dollars, a beautiful in house movement mid 60s watch that I personally believe was comparable to Rolex of that time.

    That $200 would buy you this years in fashion dress or jacket - which goes in the charity bin next year. This years top fashion is next years laughing stock. But that $200 Omega can be on your arm for life.

    Edit: FWIW I went into a bar near my office on Friday night. I wanted to have an off the record chat with a colleague. The girl standing next to me (yes GIRL) paid nearly $100 for one round of drinks, which seemed to be shots dropped into some canned drink. When her kidney packs in (or her brain cells die off) I will still have a Rolex on my arm. All she will have is a hangover this morning.

    Who is the idiot here? (actually me because when she is an unmarried mother with kidney problems and short term memory issues, its my taxes that will keep her in alcohol)
    sportura likes this.

  9. #418
    Member sportura's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,280

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedsterbob View Post
    Men of Rolex ROTFL that's really funny. You should go to Singapore or Hong Kong and meet Men of Rolex there. Everybody wears it in Singapore and Hong Kong. It's as common as G-shock.
    Rolex is more abundant in Hong Kong and Singapore because you've just mentioned two of the wealthiest cities/countries on the planet. No way they are as common as G-Shock, that's a bit over the top.

    The point is that Rolex is the #1 luxury brand in the world and you can either live with that stigma or not. Omega is a nice brand if you want to stay under the radar. Rolex is a brand that you have to man-up to wear, you've got to have the strength either to handle the dirty looks you'll get or embrace the concept that you are wearing a luxury item and are flaunting it just a bit.

  10. #419
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,312

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Jesus Christ this thread makes me want to sell my Rolexes. I don't want to be associated with douche bags.
    BarracksSi, Jtragic, Cobia and 1 others like this.

  11. #420
    Member sportura's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,280

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Galaga View Post
    I still may acquire a Rolex one day but palookas like Sporty give me second thoughts.

    FYI Sporty, Palooka is a variation of wanker.
    I like you Galaga. I also liked the first version of this post better when you said that you were going to wait until you're retired to purchase your first Rolex. I was going to tell you not to wait, to go buy one right now, and then tell you the super-secret reason why, but you had to call me an Australian derogative again and ruin it.

    For someone who preaches watch integrity and not caring about what others think you really spend a lot of time caring about what other people think. If I walk around thinking I'm Mr. Successful when I have a Daytona on my wrist, why do you care? What, the stray thoughts in my head affect you somehow? It's not the Men Of Rolex and their behavior that should concern you, it's Rolex themselves and their marketing strategies. They are the #1 luxury brand in the world for a reason- they spend billions of dollars over decades perpetuating the stereotype you seem to detest.

    If you don't like the pressure, if you don't like the stigma, stick with your Seiko's and Omega and be happy. There is no shame in that. It takes strength to be a Rolex owner, you're going to get snide comments and unwanted attention. People are going to look at your watch and think you are a certain type of person. Trust me, if you can't handle someone benign like me telling you how it is in a discussion forum, you're not going to be able to handle the unwashed masses on the streets and in the grocery stores and in the shopping malls and in the subways you're going to encounter every day. Man up. There is no safe space when you wear a status symbol on your wrist.
    Galaga likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 8 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 3 guests)

  1. GermanInCol,
  2. Panerol Forte,
  3. transporter305,
  4. sea_urchin,
  5. Betterthere

Similar Threads

  1. First Omega, Opinions?
    By j.a.p in forum Omega
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 14th, 2019, 01:18
  2. Opinions please on my first Omega
    By samanderson in forum Omega
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 18th, 2011, 19:18
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 25th, 2011, 15:45
  4. Opinions on my first Omega?
    By F07A in forum Omega
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 25th, 2007, 22:41
  5. Omega opinions
    By Guido Muldoon in forum Dive watches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 4th, 2007, 05:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts