Opinions on Omega - Page 43
Like Tree83419Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 43 of 7758 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 93 143 543 1043 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    First of all, not anyone can afford a Rolex, I don't know what world you're living in. $5 to $8k for a watch is completely unattainable for the VAST majority of the world. Why are you so judgmental about anyone who drinks or uses drugs? For some people, experiences are more important than trinkets. Maybe they'd prefer a fun night out with friends (with or without drugs and drinking), a vacation somewhere exotic, or a live play or sports event over a Rolex. What's wrong with that?
    Jesus Christ this thread makes me want to sell my Rolexes. I don't want to be associated with douche bags.
    I find there are 3 kinds of Rolex owners:

1. Understands he's wearing a status symbol and is comfortable with it [me and almost everyone else].
    2. Acts like it's not a status symbol because he's 'better than that' [weird internet apologist behavior].
    3. Show off ......... [urban myth, they don't exist, the internet apologist's antagonist].

Whenever a #1 talks about Rolex marketing strategy or admits that the attention can sometimes be enjoyable, he gets labeled a #3 so that the #2's can get up on their soap boxes and preach morality. It's a strange forum phenomenon. Hang in there. Rolex people are quite normal. The non-internet ones, at least.

Jesus Christ this thread makes me want to sell my Rolexes. I don't want to be associated with douche bags.
    Me too.

Let me know what you want to sell. ;)
    sportura and Fawkesguy like this.

Why do modern Hondas suck so much? I was a die hard Honda fanboy and I've moved on to Toyota.
    Honda started listening to their beancounters instead of their engineers two generations of Civics ago. "Make it cheaper, make it cheaper!" they were being told. Give them another couple model generations to get their mojo back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco53 View Post
    I didn't ask her age Collin, but she looked early 20s.

Its a bit judgemental to tell people what their ambitions should be - you probably wouldn't have liked mine when I was in my early 20s, and I wouldn't have liked yours.

At 22 you can have all the ambitions in the world. Pop star, athlete, Nobel Laureate, fighter pilot, mother/father or a Rolex owner.

At least the kid HAD an ambition. She wasn't drugged up on a street corner with her hand out. She wasn't sitting in a jail cell. she wasn't in the line at the welfare office.

I hope she gets her Rolex. And a hit record, Olympic medal, Nobel Prize, and a seat in a fast jet.
    Hahaha can I ask you what shop fellow Sydneysider?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    Unfortunately, this thread proves your point. In defense of non-Prat Rolex owners, the member at issue is a bit of an anomaly, and he doesn't represent the majority of Rolex owners. He's been banned on another Rolex forum, and he's widely ignored here. Sub or ExpII would be a great choice, both are solid watches that will give you decades of enjoyment.
    They're on my ignore list...but unfortunatelly I can still see their posts when other members quoted their posts
    SolarCycles1963 likes this.

You wear a $15k watch, you are aware that it is a status symbol, and you enjoy the attention it brings.....in what world is that not the epitome of showing off?

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    I find there are 3 kinds of Rolex owners:

1. Understands he's wearing a status symbol and is comfortable with it [me and almost everyone else].
    2. Acts like it's not a status symbol because he's 'better than that' [weird internet apologist behavior].
    3. Show off ......... [urban myth, they don't exist, the internet apologist's antagonist].

Whenever a #1 talks about Rolex marketing strategy or admits that the attention can sometimes be enjoyable, he gets labeled a #3 so that the #2's can get up on their soap boxes and preach morality. It's a strange forum phenomenon. Hang in there. Rolex people are quite normal. The non-internet ones, at least.
    watchgeek216 likes this.

Omega is my favorite brand but I think Rolex is a level above Omega. There are advantages and disadvantages to each brand and even those can be subjective.

Omega, specifically on the used/grey market, represents great value for money while Rolex's redeeming factor is the great resale value. I got my Speedy for $3.3k (Moonwatch briefcase set NEW)..now compare that to what you can get with Rolex at $3.3k.

Let's take Rolex' greatest icon, the Sub. You can get 3 Seamaster Professional watches for the price of one Sub. Is the Sub better? Certainly, but the huge premium markup on it can't be denied.

The best part of Omega is that it flies under the radar. Some may not like this as many Rolex owners buy their watch as a status symbol. There are plenty of watch enthusiast Rolex owners, they are on this forum and rolexforums, but there are also millions out there who only care about that Rolex name on the dial. I alternate with my Speedy and PO. I haven't had any problems doing so and I rarely have anyone say anything about my watches even though I'm essentially alternating thousands of dollars on my wrist. I'm a young guy and it's not a debate that if I wear a Rolex it carries a ton of baggage for me. I'm saving for my Sub No-Date currently, it's my ultimate grail; however, I'm not going to be wearing that watch everyday (maybe once I get it that will change..who knows?). Once I'm 30+, I could care less about wearing a Rolex all the time because a lot of that baggage will be removed.

Bottom line, Omega make fantastic watches. They are innovating movements, providing fantastic engraved cases/display backs, and pushing technology. They are trying to compete with Rolex by pushing the boundaries and offering more bang for your buck. If you're a true watch lover, you'll probably own both an Omega and a Rolex at some point. Being a fanboy of a brand simply limits your ability to enjoy this hobby to its fullest. I dislike their endless limited editions but at the end of the day we vote with our wallets and I choose to ignore them for the most part. Rolex has kept a lot of the elements of its roots and there is something to commend about that.

These are my 2 favorite watch brands. I have things I love and hate about both brands.
    Last edited by 007_Omega; September 23rd, 2017 at 20:15.
    Blackdog and watchgeek216 like this.
    James Bond walks into a watch store...

Collection:
    Rolex Submariner "No-Date" 114060
    Rolex GMT Master II "Pepsi" 16710
    G-Shock DW5600E-1V

Gone:
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" 311.30.42.30.01.005
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2500 2200.50.00
    Orient Ray Raven II FAA02003B9

Man oh man this thread is brutal. Part of me has to believe a lot is satire. I really like my two rolex '. A 1969 GMT amd 1967 Datejust.

im actually kind of embarrassed if people notice them and try to hide them under my cuff.

Modern ones are a little blingy for me but still great looking time pieces.

This thread makes me fwel icky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    aron and watchgeek216 like this.

Opinions on Omega

Are Men of Rolex only allowed to date and marry Women of Rolex, or does Men of Rolex include owners of both sexes? Perhaps, in the spirit of inclusion, Men of Rolex should be updated to Persons of Rolex? These are fascinating sociological theses. I dunno, though—your Rolex timepieces might have the new all-testosterone movements: Semen of Rolex! Amazeballs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highbob

Accutron • Omega • Rolex • Hamilton • Ball • Sinn

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco53 View Post
    I didn't ask her age Collin, but she looked early 20s.

Its a bit judgemental to tell people what their ambitions should be - you probably wouldn't have liked mine when I was in my early 20s, and I wouldn't have liked yours.

At 22 you can have all the ambitions in the world. Pop star, athlete, Nobel Laureate, fighter pilot, mother/father or a Rolex owner.

At least the kid HAD an ambition. She wasn't drugged up on a street corner with her hand out. She wasn't sitting in a jail cell. she wasn't in the line at the welfare office.

I hope she gets her Rolex. And a hit record, Olympic medal, Nobel Prize, and a seat in a fast jet.
    I was in Florida at a common tourist trap in the area a few weekends ago and the sales associate commented on my Sub. She didn’t rave about Rolex but she said in the course of her work, handling money and cards and such, that’s usually one of the first things she notices. She liked the simplicity and design of it (then the watch talk started).

I agree with your opinion. My ambitions for that stage in my life were vastly different and often started on a material level because I was too young and ambitious to be thinking about kids and family or professional achievements. I knew those would come with time. But, ironically, one of my chief ambitions then was to get an Omega Seamaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC]
    "Scouts out!"
    Rolex 5513 Submariner (1983-84 Serial)
    Rolex 114060 Submariner
    Rolex 16710 ‘Pepsi’ GMT
    Ω Omega Speedmaster
    Ω Omega "Bond" SMP 2221.80
    1948 Bulova Excellency
    Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage Military
    Chase Durer Pilot Commander X

Thread Information