Opinions on Omega - Page 44
Like Tree82484Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 44 of 7687 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 94 144 544 1044 ... LastLast

Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    I like you Galaga. I also liked the first version of this post better when you said that you were going to wait until you're retired to purchase your first Rolex. I was going to tell you not to wait, to go buy one right now, and then tell you the super-secret reason why, but you had to call me an Australian derogative again and ruin it.

For someone who preaches watch integrity and not caring about what others think you really spend a lot of time caring about what other people think. If I walk around thinking I'm Mr. Successful when I have a Daytona on my wrist, why do you care? What, the stray thoughts in my head affect you somehow? It's not the Men Of Rolex and their behavior that should concern you, it's Rolex themselves and their marketing strategies. They are the #1 luxury brand in the world for a reason- they spend billions of dollars over decades perpetuating the stereotype you seem to detest.

If you don't like the pressure, if you don't like the stigma, stick with your Seiko's and Omega and be happy. There is no shame in that. It takes strength to be a Rolex owner, you're going to get snide comments and unwanted attention. People are going to look at your watch and think you are a certain type of person. Trust me, if you can't handle someone benign like me telling you how it is in a discussion forum, you're not going to be able to handle the unwashed masses on the streets and in the grocery stores and in the shopping malls and in the subways you're going to encounter every day. Man up. There is no safe space when you wear a status symbol on your wrist.
    I can handle it dude. Plenty of my mates are wankers. It’s no big deal. I’m probably one myself.
    Last edited by Galaga; September 24th, 2017 at 00:43.
    sportura and Cobia like this.

Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    Why do modern Hondas suck so much? I was a die hard Honda fanboy and I've moved on to Toyota.
    I too was a die hard Honda fan. It was a combination of things with Honda. They reduced their spending on research and development and they switched their manufacturing to Thailand which was devastated by the tsunami.

The last Honda I had was the 2004 Honda Accord Euro. An amazing car for its time. Honda need to bring back icons like the Prelude and Integra to claw their way back. They have already started with the return of the Civic type R and extending their factory warranty to 5 years at least here in Australia.

We here in Australia also need to start obtaining Acura models like the MDX to compete with the SUV market which is booming here with models such as the Mazda CX-9 and Hyundai Santa Fe.
    Last edited by Galaga; September 24th, 2017 at 00:49.

Re: Opinions on Omega

highbob, sportura, Cobia and 5 others like this.
    Cheers,
    Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can't really say anything relative to "owners" because I think most collectors have an appreciation for many brands. Myself included.

I have a 1984 GMT Master that is as classic and fashionable today as it was then. Rolex seems to be more timeless style-wise since they have been far more conservative than Omega. However Omega makes a fine watch in regard to build quality and value.

I echo many many on this thread, but my Speedmaster Pro is one of my favorite watches in my collection. Just a classic, iconic piece that I will never part with.
    watchgeek216 likes this.
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600
    Rolex GMT-Master 16750
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko 6309-7040
    Seiko 6105-8000

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon15e View Post
    I was in Florida at a common tourist trap in the area a few weekends ago and the sales associate commented on my Sub. She didn’t rave about Rolex but she said in the course of her work, handling money and cards and such, that’s usually one of the first things she notices. She liked the simplicity and design of it (then the watch talk started).

I agree with your opinion. My ambitions for that stage in my life were vastly different and often started on a material level because I was too young and ambitious to be thinking about kids and family or professional achievements. I knew those would come with time. But, ironically, one of my chief ambitions then was to get an Omega Seamaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One of my big pet peeves is receiving a compliment on something once someone sees the brand, not how the product looks in and of itself. If you need to see the emblem on my car, logo on my clothing, or brand name of my watch to compliment it than I rather just not get the compliment.

The few times I've heard nice Speedy has put a huge smile on my face. When someone sees my watch and sees the Omega logo and that gets a reaction, not so much. Example, I have a friend who always likes to poke fun but we do it to each other. She sees my sunglasses and is like where did you get those at the supermarket? She looks over and sees it says Tom Ford on it and then goes, "oh wow, nice!" We live in a society where we put too much stock in names rather than quality and craftsmanship. If I buy a luxury good, be assured its for the quality and design not because I'm trying to impress people with a name. Thankfully, Rolex and Omega haven't copped out and simply relied on their name to sell products rather than quality. Same can't be said for certain other brands.
    HTown, BarracksSi, aron and 1 others like this.
    James Bond walks into a watch store...

Collection:
    Rolex Submariner "No-Date" 114060
    Rolex GMT Master II "Pepsi" 16710
    G-Shock DW5600E-1V

Gone:
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" 311.30.42.30.01.005
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2500 2200.50.00
    Orient Ray Raven II FAA02003B9

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    First of all, not anyone can afford a Rolex, I don't know what world you're living in. $5 to $8k for a watch is completely unattainable for the VAST majority of the world. Why are you so judgmental about anyone who drinks or uses drugs? For some people, experiences are more important than trinkets. Maybe they'd prefer a fun night out with friends (with or without drugs and drinking), a vacation somewhere exotic, or a live play or sports event over a Rolex. What's wrong with that? You choose to be a grumpy lonely old man who is judging anyone having fun while hoarding Rolexes and they choose not to be like that.
    Of course 5-8K is attainable - unless you are in the developing world. I don't think you can even get a credit card with a limit less than 10K.

I'm not judgemental about drinkers or druggies - that is until my taxes have to pay to sort them out. That is one experience I can live without.

What I AM judgemental about is the drunks and druggies who them look at my Rolex and make smart ass comments - despite it simply being my choice to spend MY MONEY on what I want.

Do I chose to be a lonely old man?

Am I am indeed a lonely old man?

That's pretty judgemental from you IMHO.
    Sappie66 likes this.
    • I currently own 6 Rolex watches, from a new Submariner Ceramic to a 1963 Oysterdate Precision.
    • I have continuously owned Rolex watches for over 37 years, starting with a GMT M in 1980.
    • I have owned 12 Omegas, from a 1939 30T2 to a Seamaster 200.
    • I own 2 Seiko Divers, owning one since 1979.

I post from actual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    I like you Galaga. I also liked the first version of this post better when you said that you were going to wait until you're retired to purchase your first Rolex. I was going to tell you not to wait, to go buy one right now, and then tell you the super-secret reason why, but you had to call me an Australian derogative again and ruin it.

For someone who preaches watch integrity and not caring about what others think you really spend a lot of time caring about what other people think. If I walk around thinking I'm Mr. Successful when I have a Daytona on my wrist, why do you care? What, the stray thoughts in my head affect you somehow? It's not the Men Of Rolex and their behavior that should concern you, it's Rolex themselves and their marketing strategies. They are the #1 luxury brand in the world for a reason- they spend billions of dollars over decades perpetuating the stereotype you seem to detest.

If you don't like the pressure, if you don't like the stigma, stick with your Seiko's and Omega and be happy. There is no shame in that. It takes strength to be a Rolex owner, you're going to get snide comments and unwanted attention. People are going to look at your watch and think you are a certain type of person. Trust me, if you can't handle someone benign like me telling you how it is in a discussion forum, you're not going to be able to handle the unwashed masses on the streets and in the grocery stores and in the shopping malls and in the subways you're going to encounter every day. Man up. There is no safe space when you wear a status symbol on your wrist.
    LOL Sporty if Rolex arnt paying you for nonsense they should be.

[QUOTE=highbob;44165823]Are Men of Rolex only allowed to date and marry Women of Rolex, or does Men of Rolex include owners of both sexes? Perhaps, in the spirit of inclusion, Men of Rolex should be updated to Persons of Rolex? These are fascinating sociological theses. I dunno, though—your Rolex timepieces might have the new all-testosterone movements: Semen of Rolex! Amazeballs.

First rule of the men of Rolex club highbob.

1. Men of Rolex are ONLY allowed to marry a fellow Man or woman of Rolex. eg, a woman or man who currently own 1 Rolex or more in working condition that is certified as being 100% genuine.

1a. All bridal party and groomsmen MUST be wearing a Rolex that they own, borrowed Rolex will NOT be permitted.

1b. All groomsmen must have a genuine Rolex wallet and cufflinks.

Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post

First rule of the men of Rolex club highbob.

1. Men of Rolex are ONLY allowed to marry a fellow Man or woman of Rolex. eg, a woman or man who currently own 1 Rolex or more in working condition that is certified as being 100% genuine.

1a. All bridal party and groomsmen MUST be wearing a Rolex that they own, borrowed Rolex will NOT be permitted.

1b. All groomsmen must have a genuine Rolex wallet and cufflinks.
    Whew! Okay, then. It’s good to know the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by highbob; September 24th, 2017 at 07:28.

highbob

Accutron • Omega • Rolex • Hamilton • Ball • Sinn

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Honda started listening to their beancounters instead of their engineers two generations of Civics ago. "Make it cheaper, make it cheaper!" they were being told.
    So pretty much the same as Omega with their switch to Chinese-sourced parts, then. :)
    Rosco53 and BarracksSi like this.

Thread Information