Opinions on Omega - Page 45
Like Tree83419Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 45 of 7758 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 95 145 545 1045 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
    So pretty much the same as Omega with their switch to Chinese-sourced parts, then. :)
    Oh snap! Lol

Just my daily check-in for this thread.....have my popcorn in hand......everyone just carry on per the usual.......
    Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…I’m too drunk to taste this chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    There is a difference between credibility amongst watch enthusiasts and credibility in the boardroom.

You don't know what credibility is until you waltz into a meeting with a Daytona Ceramic on your wrist. Trust me. I know. You can tell me the ancient fables of Ed White and Jim Lovell until the cows come home, those myths mean nothing outside of this place. No one notices an Omega. The world stops for a Rolex.
    The "boardroom"? If you really are meeting with other executives I doubt they're that impressed with your Daytona. It's not THAT big a deal. Watch enthusiasts and also most successful business people know there's much higher end watches then a Rolex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 3523 View Post
    The "boardroom"? If you really are meeting with other executives I doubt they're that impressed with your Daytona. It's not THAT big a deal. Watch enthusiasts and also most successful business people know there's much higher end watches then a Rolex.

Maybe so but wearing a Rolex is consistent with this current ‘look at me’ engrossed in social media/status generation.

Sadly there is nothing subtle about it and I am convinced that Sportura is well within Generation Y or possibly even a Millennial.

Have I assumed correctly Sportura ?
    Cobia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3523 View Post
    Actually, they don't. And for the past 25 years I've been looking at every wrist that passes my way and I've never met another watch enthusiast let alone someone who could pronounce Audemars Piguet. And when I do run into someone with a decent timepiece on their wrist and I attempt to start a conversation, they tell me how they got it as a gift from their wives and don't know anything else about it. The 50 of us active in discussion forums represent the sum-total of the enthusiast species I'm afraid.

One of the things that makes Rolex so special is that not only is it a high-end luxury brand, but it's the #1 luxury brand in the world. Everyone knows what they are and what they look like, and the only way that others can be impressed by the watch you're wearing is if they know what they're looking at. So it is THAT big a deal. You could be wearing the rarest Omega on the planet and I could be wearing my beater Datejust and to anyone I'll interact with in a given day/week/month/year my $2500 Rolex will look more expensive and more impressive. Datejusts, Submariners, GMT's, Explorers, Daytona's, these are icons for 50 years, instantly recognizable, embedded in the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaga View Post
    Maybe so but wearing a Rolex is consistent with this current ‘look at me’ engrossed in social media/status generation.

Sadly there is nothing subtle about it and I am convinced that Sportura is well within Generation Y or possibly even a Millennial. Have I assumed correctly Sportura ?
    Spot on. As a society, we've never been more Rolex-friendly I'm afraid. It's all about your last vacation on Facebook, how many followers you have on Instagram, how many likes your last photo on Snapchat has received. My daughter (I'm your age) must have a $75 t-shirt with a whale on it from something called Vineyard Vines and $200 yoga pants from Ivivva or she's ostracized at school.

And today's world of online dating, forget it, it's a national crisis, no young professional gets married at a decent age because they believe someone better is right around the corner, just a swipe away on Tinder. If you've gotten a wink back and you're the next-man-up to date the most beautiful girl that's interested in you on a dating site, wearing Tom Ford, driving a new BMW, and strapping on a shiny Rolex put you ahead of the other dudes as you make sure you've ordered the proper wine at the 5 star restaurant.

People detested the Yuppies of our youth and today's teens and 20 somethings are far worse, I'm afraid. They're Yuppie offspring. Raised with money. Raised with luxuries. Expecting only the finest. I'm guilty on both counts. Aspired to and did achieve Yuppiedom, and despite my attempts am inadvertently raising elitists.
    uwtiger and georgegervin44 like this.

Actually, they don't. And for the past 25 years I've been looking at every wrist that passes my way and I've never met another watch enthusiast let alone someone who could pronounce Audemars Piguet. And when I do run into someone with a decent timepiece on their wrist and I attempt to start a conversation, they tell me how they got it as a gift from their wives and don't know anything else about it. The 50 of us active in discussion forums represent the sum-total of the enthusiast species I'm afraid.

One of the things that makes Rolex so special is that not only is it a high-end luxury brand, but it's the #1 luxury brand in the world. Everyone knows what they are and what they look like, and the only way that others can be impressed by the watch you're wearing is if they know what they're looking at. So it is THAT big a deal. You could be wearing the rarest Omega on the planet and I could be wearing my beater Datejust and to anyone I'll interact with in a given day/week/month/year my $2500 Rolex will look more expensive and more impressive. Datejusts, Submariners, GMT's, Explorers, Daytona's, these are icons for 50 years, instantly recognizable, embedded in the culture.
    Name:  1dpyce.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  79.4 KB

Spot on. As a society, we've never been more Rolex-friendly I'm afraid. It's all about your last vacation on Facebook, how many followers you have on Instagram, how many likes your last photo on Snapchat has received. My daughter (I'm your age) must have a $75 t-shirt with a whale on it from something called Vineyard Vines and $200 yoga pants from Ivivva or she's ostracized at school.

And today's world of online dating, forget it, it's a national crisis, no young professional gets married at a decent age because they believe someone better is right around the corner, just a swipe away on Tinder. If you've gotten a wink back and you're the next-man-up to date the most beautiful girl that's interested in you on a dating site, wearing Tom Ford, driving a new BMW, and strapping on a shiny Rolex put you ahead of the other dudes as you make sure you've ordered the proper wine at the 5 star restaurant.

People detested the Yuppies of our youth and today's teens and 20 somethings are far worse, I'm afraid. They're Yuppie offspring. Raised with money. Raised with luxuries. Expecting only the finest. I'm guilty on both counts. Aspired to and did achieve Yuppiedom, and despite my attempts am inadvertently raising elitists.
    Name:  confused.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  35.4 KB

Wow, ok...I guess we just live in two separate worlds at the same time. It's all good. Reading your posts reminds me how I used to feel watching Robert Novak on TV, I totally disagree but strangely enjoy watching. I admire your honesty at least. Carry on...

sportura likes this.

One guy from my home town drives this Ferrari, he is the living example of your philosophy :D.

sportura likes this.

Thread Information