Opinions on Omega - Page 46
Like Tree83126Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 46 of 7735 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 96 146 546 1046 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on Omega

@ nicon, what a great pic.

I have Rolex Sub and a couple of older Rolexes that I inherited. I also have an older and a newer Omega Planet Ocean, as well as a couple of Casios, a couple of Citizens, Seikos etc. I drive a really nice (at least to me it is) Toyota Truck, AND I can honestly say that I do not think any of it is ever really noticed. The one thing I own that gets noticed the most is a Kubota tractor, usually by my neighbors that want to borrow it.

I am relatively young, at least I feel so, (under 40) and of my friends/piers that wear watches, they seem to either wear a GShock or a Rolex Sub, the latter bought because they thought they were supposed to.

One thing I will say for the Sub is, that cyclops really does make the date easier to read.
    Fawkesguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    Spot on. As a society, we've never been more Rolex-friendly I'm afraid. It's all about your last vacation on Facebook, how many followers you have on Instagram, how many likes your last photo on Snapchat has received. My daughter (I'm your age) must have a $75 t-shirt with a whale on it from something called Vineyard Vines and $200 yoga pants from Ivivva or she's ostracized at school.

And today's world of online dating, forget it, it's a national crisis, no young professional gets married at a decent age because they believe someone better is right around the corner, just a swipe away on Tinder. If you've gotten a wink back and you're the next-man-up to date the most beautiful girl that's interested in you on a dating site, wearing Tom Ford, driving a new BMW, and strapping on a shiny Rolex put you ahead of the other dudes as you make sure you've ordered the proper wine at the 5 star restaurant.

People detested the Yuppies of our youth and today's teens and 20 somethings are far worse, I'm afraid. They're Yuppie offspring. Raised with money. Raised with luxuries. Expecting only the finest. I'm guilty on both counts. Aspired to and did achieve Yuppiedom, and despite my attempts am inadvertently raising elitists.
    Wow. Like another member said I respect your honesty. By the way any person who finds this offensive and has Sportura blocked or wants him banned needs to get a grip. At least it’s interesting and more entertaining than “does this watch make my wrist look small?” talk.
    Sappie66 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you have the watch at the right angle, which means perfectly frontal. Otherwise, it's a semi-disaster....

Omega is excellent. I'd own a solid half dozen if I had the money. As it stands its going to be a one or two watch collection (of really, really good watches...not the beaters)
    watchgeek216 likes this.

My Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean is keeping time at +0.5 seconds.

It is an amazing timepiece.

Can your Rolex do that ?
    watchgeek216 likes this.

The more I read this thread the more I respect and agree with Sportura's point of view.
    soaking.fused likes this.

Agreed, but I don't know any racers just like I don't know any divers, pretty sure we'd agree that about 98% of these watches wind up on upscale wrists as jewelry and not as hardcore tools for those who dive or drive competitively for a living.

Most people get a chronograph because its complications look sophisticated and they look/feel markedly different than the other watches in their collections. The Rolex cadence is that you get your Submariner, you get your Datejust, you get your Explorer, now it's time for the chrono and that's where it stops for most, the Daytona is in a different pricing stratosphere. The Speedmaster becomes a popular choice because Omega is a decent brand and because of its connection to moon landings and affordability.

But one man's opinion- once you go Daytona, you don't go back to Speedmaster. And once you lose Speedmaster, you don't find Omega compelling at all. That's Omega's problem, at least in the eyes of Rolex owners. It's a one-trick-pony. It makes so many limited edition Speedmasters because Omega is the Speedmaster company, it's not much else.
    Dude, I feel sorry for you.
    Seriously.
    You don't know any racers....you don't know any divers.... do you know any PENCIL PUSHERS?????
    Just asking!
    I know a bunch of paratroopers/skydivers. I know a bunch of divers/sailors/merchant mariners. They wear WHATEVER THEY LIKE-- Rolex, Seiko, Omega, Casio (horror, HORROR!!!)
    Go play with your socks.
    Real man have lives, watch collections are just a welcome addition for personal enjoyment.
    Guys like you give Rolex a bad rep.
    And yes- I own a couple of Rolexes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nicon, Falcon15e and watchgeek216 like this.

Good post and I see your point of view, a point of view that I shared for more than a decade.

But now that I took the plunge and got the Rolex chronograph, the whole 60 year old backstory is lost for me. I'm a big fan of NASA and the 60's space missions, but looking at it objectively, the Speedmaster isn't some significant piece of moon mission history. It was a moderately priced racing watch that happened to pass vacuum testing. It's inconvenient, it's not waterproof, the crystal is a scratch magnet, it has to be wound every day, the lume gets weak fast, you can't swim with it, it may have been an astronaut's tool in 1967 but it's just not a high quality timepiece here on Earth in 2017.

And while it's not a popular thing to say, so I'll apologize in advance for my honesty, damn it, I like being seen with a Rolex on my wrist. It's important to me. I like people's reactions. I like feeling like the guy with the best watch in the room. I like to look down at my wrist multiple times a day at the trophy I rewarded myself with for a lifetime of hard work and accomplishment. And I don't think that's wrong at all. And I don't think that Rolex themselves would disagree with me.
    Dude!!!
    You are a CHARACTER!!!
    "I like people's reactions. I like feeling like the guy with the best watch in the room. I like to look down at my wrist multiple times a day at the trophy I rewarded myself with "
    You know there are OTHER GREAT WATCH MAKERS, right????
    Sigmund Freud could have written a couple of chapters on your persona alone.....

watchgeek216 likes this.

Actually, they don't. And for the past 25 years I've been looking at every wrist that passes my way and I've never met another watch enthusiast let alone someone who could pronounce Audemars Piguet. And when I do run into someone with a decent timepiece on their wrist and I attempt to start a conversation, they tell me how they got it as a gift from their wives and don't know anything else about it. The 50 of us active in discussion forums represent the sum-total of the enthusiast species I'm afraid.

One of the things that makes Rolex so special is that not only is it a high-end luxury brand, but it's the #1 luxury brand in the world. Everyone knows what they are and what they look like, and the only way that others can be impressed by the watch you're wearing is if they know what they're looking at. So it is THAT big a deal. You could be wearing the rarest Omega on the planet and I could be wearing my beater Datejust and to anyone I'll interact with in a given day/week/month/year my $2500 Rolex will look more expensive and more impressive. Datejusts, Submariners, GMT's, Explorers, Daytona's, these are icons for 50 years, instantly recognizable, embedded in the culture.
    Again, you are a CHARACTER:)
    So, why do you care if people are "impressed " by your watch.
    You lack attention in all other aspects of your life and seek it by buying easily recognizable watches????
    Just asking.....

Thread Information