Opinions on Omega - Page 49
Like Tree83304Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 49 of 7748 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 99 149 549 1049 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 77471
  1. #481
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,856

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I think it's because Rolex is seen as a benchmark, and in many ways, too. Nobody says about their watch, "It's just as good as a Glashutte Original!" That's because nobody else knows what a GO is. But everybody and their mom knows what a Rolex is. It's also a sort of litmus test to see how WIS-ey an enthusiast is. If they think Rolex is the peak of high-end, someone WIS-ier will say, "Ah, newbie, but Rolex is just the entry level of 'high-end'." It's also a touchstone for someone demonstrating their reverse-snobbish-ness. "My SKX007 is just as good as a Sub and for one-fortieth of the price, bro." We've heard that one plenty of times. But we've never heard, "My SKX007 is just as good as a Fifty Fathoms," have we?
    Its just the case to say why go so hard to say your Omega is better than another brand that is below it (like protecting your title, not that anybody is targeting it) but then knowing Rolex is a higher brand (base on cost and demand), now you want to say it is equal. You then are doing the same thing you dont want to be done to you when brands below Omega say tbey are about as good.
    BarracksSi likes this.

  2. #482
    Member Timester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,379

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    I would say Omega owners are far more gullible when they get their chain jerked.
    Cheers,
    ~~~ Rick


  3. #483
    Member Galaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,684

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Timester View Post
    I would say Omega owners are far more gullible when they get their chain jerked.
    I have the same opinion with Americans.
    Sappie66 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #484
    Member Covenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    905

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Haven't read this thread cos it's a monster, but here's my 2c.

    There are two ways of approaching this; looking at the company's current products, and looking at their histories. In terms of the former, Omega and Rolex are fairly on par with each other. In a technology battle of Co-Axial Master Chronometer Vs Oyster Perpetual Superlative Chronometer there isn't a clear winner. The former is more revolutionary and offers greater independent testing, and much greater anti-magnetic properties. The latter is more evolutionary and offers tighter specifications and a greater warranty.

    However when we delve into the respective company histories, one offers a quite murky story while the other offers clarity and a far-reaching vision.

    The story of Omega in a sentence:
    La Generale Watch Co into Omega Watch Co, then the merger with Tissot and formation of SIHH (Société Suisse pour l'Industrie Horlogère), then the merger with ASUAG (Allgemeine Schweizerische Uhrenindustrie AG) to stay afloat during the quartz crisis, then the re-branding to the Swatch Group after releasing some dirt cheap plastic watches to try and regain market share from the Japanese, then bought some technology from a brilliant watchmaker named George Daniels and made it the central point of their marketing.

    The story of Rolex in a sentence:
    Wilsdorf and Davis into Rolex because the word sounded cool, moved out of England during WW1 when wartime taxes got too high and settled in Geneva, first wristwatch to achieve the Swiss Certificate of Chronometric Precision in Bienne and the Class A precision certificate from the Kew Observatory in Great Britain, first waterproof watch which was then tested for 10hrs in the English Channel, first watch with an instantaneous date change at midnight, first GMT watch for the pan-am pilots, created its own subsidiary to expand market share into the midrange sector (Tudor), and upon death of founder control passed to the Hans Wilsdorf foundation which has kept it going ever since.

    The above is perhaps overly simplistic and a bit biased, but that's my personal take. When buying mechanicals there is an element of buying history, and the Rolex story appeals to me more than Omega.
    Cobia likes this.
    Art is how we decorate space. Music is how we decorate time.

  6. #485
    Member Timester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,379

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Galaga View Post
    I have the same opinion with Americans.
    I have no idea what that even means, other than you are as trying to insult as many people as possible and now start up an argument with me. Not gonna happen. Everybody sees your deal and like I said you are too gullible to get what's obvious to other amused readers. Carry on...
    Cheers,
    ~~~ Rick


  7. #486
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    You mention all of Rolex's (admittedly many) achievements and focus on Omega's dubious corporate history of mergers but don't bother mentioning the story of the Speedmaster and Apollo 11 or that Omega made arguably the first dive watch ever. You also don't mention that Omega is about 70 years older than Rolex and was a more prestigious watch at a certain point in history. I own both watches and I do think that Rolex is overall a superior watch but your history of both companies is completely biased.

    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Haven't read this thread cos it's a monster, but here's my 2c.

    There are two ways of approaching this; looking at the company's current products, and looking at their histories. In terms of the former, Omega and Rolex are fairly on par with each other. In a technology battle of Co-Axial Master Chronometer Vs Oyster Perpetual Superlative Chronometer there isn't a clear winner. The former is more revolutionary and offers greater independent testing, and much greater anti-magnetic properties. The latter is more evolutionary and offers tighter specifications and a greater warranty.

    However when we delve into the respective company histories, one offers a quite murky story while the other offers clarity and a far-reaching vision.

    The story of Omega in a sentence:
    La Generale Watch Co into Omega Watch Co, then the merger with Tissot and formation of SIHH (Société Suisse pour l'Industrie Horlogère), then the merger with ASUAG (Allgemeine Schweizerische Uhrenindustrie AG) to stay afloat during the quartz crisis, then the re-branding to the Swatch Group after releasing some dirt cheap plastic watches to try and regain market share from the Japanese, then bought some technology from a brilliant watchmaker named George Daniels and made it the central point of their marketing.

    The story of Rolex in a sentence:
    Wilsdorf and Davis into Rolex because the word sounded cool, moved out of England during WW1 when wartime taxes got too high and settled in Geneva, first wristwatch to achieve the Swiss Certificate of Chronometric Precision in Bienne and the Class A precision certificate from the Kew Observatory in Great Britain, first waterproof watch which was then tested for 10hrs in the English Channel, first watch with an instantaneous date change at midnight, first GMT watch for the pan-am pilots, created its own subsidiary to expand market share into the midrange sector (Tudor), and upon death of founder control passed to the Hans Wilsdorf foundation which has kept it going ever since.

    The above is perhaps overly simplistic and a bit biased, but that's my personal take. When buying mechanicals there is an element of buying history, and the Rolex story appeals to me more than Omega.
    Galaga, lukeap69, Aid1987 and 1 others like this.

  8. #487
    Member Galaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,684

    Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Timester View Post
    I have no idea what that even means, other than you are as trying to insult as many people as possible and now start up an argument with me. Not gonna happen. Everybody sees your deal and like I said you are too gullible to get what's obvious to other amused readers. Carry on...
    So you are allowed to make generalised assumptions and insult Omega owners but I can’t about Americans ? At least I have a larger sample size.

    Carry on...
    Last edited by Galaga; September 28th, 2017 at 05:57.
    Cobia and Sappie66 like this.

  9. #488
    Member Cobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney Oz
    Posts
    12,236

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    Exactly right. Tell me how much money I donate to charities each year. Tell me how much of my time I invest helping the less fortunate each year. Tell me how faithful I am as a husband and how good to my wife I am. Tell me how many kids I have and how I well I have raised them. Tell me how my parents need care and how I am the one to tends to their needs.



    Your post confirms three things:

    1. You are everything you falsely accuse me of. You didn't need to type that post; you did so to get attention. 'Look at me, I'm such a good person and you're not.'

    2. You have an incorrect understanding of Rolex as a brand and you wrongly associate Rolex owners with poor behavior when it is your own judgemental, preachy, elitist behavior that should be called into question.

    3. You are uncomfortable with Rolex as a brand and what it represents and should be wearing something else.

    LOL I think you guys should just get your Johnsons out now, put a ruler next to them and put the pics up (you might want to get permission from the admin first).
    Who ever is longer is the official winner of this mas-debate.

    You might be right sporty, everybody can afford a Rolex but you cant by class.

    For some reason i still enjoy your posts, theres an honesty about them, i believe that you believe in what youre saying is truth.

    The only thing you havnt realised yet is that theres not one truth when it comes to perception, how something is viewed varies between person to person.

    You might think you are tapping into/observing some collective thought of others and are speaking for it, and you are speaking for some who have similar thoughts to you, but not everybody, not even close to everybody sporty.



  10. #489
    Member Covenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    You mention all of Rolex's (admittedly many) achievements and focus on Omega's dubious corporate history of mergers but don't bother mentioning the story of the Speedmaster and Apollo 11 or that Omega made arguably the first dive watch ever. You also don't mention that Omega is about 70 years older than Rolex and was a more prestigious watch at a certain point in history. I own both watches and I do think that Rolex is overall a superior watch but your history of both companies is completely biased.
    Largely true, and I admitted that. That's may my take after delving into both company histories. I don't particularly think of the speedy pro story as an achievement, considering bulova were also manufacturing watches to NASA requirements and one had to take over from a broken speedy pro during Apollo 15. As to the rest I like the focus of Rolex vs the fairly hazy story of Omega.
    Art is how we decorate space. Music is how we decorate time.

  11. #490
    Member Galaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,684

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    I’m pretty sure they take Casios to space now.
    watchgeek216 likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 14 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 11 guests)

  1. Panerol Forte,
  2. transporter305,
  3. Krish47

Similar Threads

  1. First Omega, Opinions?
    By j.a.p in forum Omega
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 14th, 2019, 01:18
  2. Opinions please on my first Omega
    By samanderson in forum Omega
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 18th, 2011, 19:18
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 25th, 2011, 15:45
  4. Opinions on my first Omega?
    By F07A in forum Omega
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 25th, 2007, 22:41
  5. Omega opinions
    By Guido Muldoon in forum Dive watches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 4th, 2007, 05:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •