WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinions on Omega

5M views 158K replies 697 participants last post by  mui.richard 
#1 ·
Owners of rolex,

What is your general opinion on omega watches and their owners?

I think it is safe to assume that the majority of people in this forum are watch connoisseurs with knowledge regarding brands that extend past rolex's. And I also don't think that I am the only one whose eyes naturally tend to focus in on people's wrists in order to see what kind of watch they are wearing when I am out in a public settings.

So for those of you who are rolex owners I wanted to know what are your opinions/ first impressions on omega watches and the people who own them. It would be even better if you gave your opinion on certain models : Seamasters, Speedmasters, Planet Oceans etc.

cheers

#104,761 ·
Yes, it did. And I'll always wonder if I could've spoken up more when he talked about how he was dealing with his kid. And I definitely didn't want to say anything after the fact as I'm sure he's been questioning himself every hour since it happened.
Mental illness is tough so no way to know whether you could have helped.

#104,762 ·
That's true. I don't inhale but there are still dangers. The studies on cigar smokers and mouth cancers seem to only relate to heavy-ish smokers - ie 2+ cigars/day. I will do 1 or 2/week. Would like to see a study on my level of puffing.
I opened the envelope and the answer is...

Just stop now. Throw away the remaining and quit.

#104,770 ·
That really sucks.
Yes, it did. And I'll always wonder if I could've spoken up more when he talked about how he was dealing with his kid. And I definitely didn't want to say anything after the fact as I'm sure he's been questioning himself every hour since it happened.
Same here. I'll always wonder what more I could've done. If I had checked in with him more, made more of an effort to see him when I made it back home.

Reactions: BarracksSi
#104,771 ·
Same here. I'll always wonder what more I could've done. If I had checked in with him more, made more of an effort to see him when I made it back home.
That's why suicide is so devastating. It happens like a bolt out of the blue with friends and relatives left wondering whether they could said or done anything to have prevented it. No good can come from your even thinking of blaming yourself as how could you have possibly known what was going on inside his head? In any case, I'm so sorry you are now suffering in the aftermath of your friend's death.

#104,772 ·
Although I like the IDEA of a Rat Rod as the ultimate stealth machine, I don't think I could bring myself to actually OWN one.

I don't think I could resist the temptation to fix it up...

SOoO many watches, SOoO little time...
It's pretty liberating. My kid wants me to build one. The old model A body's are hard to find though. Anything goes with the rats so it can be nice or complete garbage and still cool.

Dirty South OoO Bro

#104,773 ·
If ya'll want to have a San Antonio meet n'greet let me know. Unlike sporty I wont back out last minute:p

We can go to la canterra (swanky mall north side of town) and troll rolex, tudor, omega, and I think breitling dealers all within 50 feet of each other! Alas, gotta go up to Austin for Grand Seiko.

Then there is a nice german biergarten joint just off the river walk. Lots of benches, not too crowded, wenches wearing corsets, liter steins of beer, perfect place for a watch meet up [emoji14]
I'll hit you up if we ever make the trip.

Dirty South OoO Bro

#104,775 ·
That's one of the problems up here as well.

The whole legalization debate centred around cutting out the black market and creating a safer product (socially, quality control etc), but governments are screwing up supply chain (shortages) and taxing it so much that folks are sticking with the black market stuff.... and since it's now "legal", the formerly law abiding folk are also buying from shady sources.
Still not legal here. I sure do miss weed.

Dirty South OoO Bro

#104,778 ·
You know Bro Dog, it's true that I am a Rolex aficionado, but not for the same reasons as the guys on the Rolex forum. For me, the comparison between Rolex and the other brands doesn't stop at GS, Tudor, Omega and the likes. I compare Rolex with PP, VC, ALS, etc... Let's see what in my eyes makes Rolex superior:

Rolex manufactures everything, the others share parts, including PP and ALS.

Rolex is the only one that has his own foundries

Rolex uses 904L, while the others use 316L. 904L is the highest level of SS used only in the chemical industry for its high resistance to acides. It has zero level of oxidation, which is not the case of all the other stainless steels, a much higher Rockwell hardness, meaning more scratch resistant, and a higher luster, so no need for ******* polishing.

Rolex buys the 904L SS in bars, and reprocesses it in its foundries to be sure of the final quality of the SS it uses for their watches.

Rolex's White Gold is in fact called Grey gold. It's not the usual white gold used in jewellery and in other watch brands, that is a light yellow gold plated with Rhodium. It's a special gold alloy containing Platinum, it's not plated, it's a pure greyish gold alloy, that doesn't change color with time. PP and ALS use this kind of alloy only on some of their very high end models.

Rolex was the first one that was able to make stable Rose Gold, Everose Gold, that doesn't oxidise with time and change color. It was later on copied by Panerai and others under the name N5, but still not the same.

Rolex is the one that was able to have a two color ceramic bezel with a seamless transition between colors by altering the mollecular structure of the ceramics before the firing and get two different colors at once.

Should I go on? the list is long.

To me, a watch is not about the mecanism, any watch manufacturer or brand can have a haute complication, but no one, and I mean no one, can achieve what Rolex achieved in the watch industry. That's why they are on the top of the watch food chain.
All true however what got me into Rolex was the tactile nature of their watches.

I was not a fan until I picked up a watch, wound the crown and moved the bezel. That well damped mechanical nature/feel is something even the 'higher' end watches do not match!

As a side is anyone in here a fan of see through case backs?? Lou Gehrig makes nice watches but their best feature is underneath the thing and basically lost until you take the watch off!

Brother of OoO

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.