Opinions on Omega - Page 6
Like Tree76722Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 6 of 6853 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 506 1006 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    The Speedmaster is one of the most timeless watch designs of all time.
    Yes, and it's also the watch you get if you don't like and/or can't afford a Daytona.

I know this firsthand you see. I never liked the look of the Daytona with the steel bezel so I never considered it as my go-to chronograph. Now that I own a Daytona Ceramic, I don't give my Speedmaster a second look. The NASA backstory is cool but it doesn't trump the Rolex brand.

And that is a tidy way to summarize the discussion. Omega is cool but it's not a Rolex. It's a watch that can please owners who aren't trying to impress anyone or reward themselves with items of lasting significance.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    Yes, and it's also the watch you get if you don't like and/or can't afford a Daytona.

I know this firsthand you see.
    What crap! Sorry, but that is just nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

I know this firsthand you see. I never liked the look of the Daytona with the steel bezel so I never considered it as my go-to chronograph. Now that I own a Daytona Ceramic, I don't give my Speedmaster a second look. The NASA backstory is cool but it doesn't trump the Rolex brand.

And that is a tidy way to summarize the discussion. Omega is cool but it's not a Rolex. It's a watch that can please owners who aren't trying to impress anyone or reward themselves with items of lasting significance.
    Have to agree that this was a pretty inane post. The Speedy is generally regarded as an exceptional chronograph with legibility second to none. I enjoy mine very much as well as my Daytona, Sub, etc. Frankly, it's posts like this that fuels Rolex contempt. Disappointed, but not surprised. Another for the ignore list.
    MOV, iam7head, RTK27 and 6 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What an ignorant blow arse you are. Makes me laugh.
    MOV, iam7head, omega1300 and 4 others like this.

IMO the Speedmaster, SMP and the Tresor would be the watches I would want to have from Omega they are not copied or homages to no one.
    MOV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Day View Post
    What crap! Sorry, but that is just nonsense.
    You can't tell a poster that his own personal experience owning several Omega's and Rolexes is "nonsense". It's how I feel. It's what the thread title is asking for. Opinions.

As I said in my post, I did not like the look of the Daytona for the past 20 years so I never considered buying one. I did, at one point, own 3 Speedmaster Professionals which I liked a lot as casual Friday changeups to my daily-wear Submariner. I sold my Ed White, in fact, to help fund my Daytona C.

As soon as Rolex released a Daytona that I found attractive and I strapped it on my wrist, it was curtains for the Speedmasters whose only place of significance in my collection was because of their NASA provenance. Speedmaster trumped old Daytona but it doesn't trump new Daytona Ceramic. NASA is cute, I dig the space program, but the new Daytona is serious business and an Omega chronograph is simply not a Rolex chronograph.

That is both my opinion and my experience. You may feel differently.
    Meetz1444, RDK and Fawkesguy like this.

Inactive

Here's mine:

I have nothing against the Rolex brand, but I do find a lot of Rolex fanboys to be boorish and tiresome. Once upon a time, a working man with an average salary could save for and afford a Rolex for about two weeks' wages. Over the past few decades, the price of the brand has soared as affordability has plummeted. Perhaps the quality of the watch is better than in the 1970s, but hasn't the quality of ALL mechanical watches improved significantly since then? It's almost as if the Rolex guys know the gap has been closed and have to work all the harder to justify why "their" watch is "better", since they paid (at least) twice as much. Don't get me wrong- a great many good people own Rolex watches, and they're a fine watch brand. Furthermore, Omega is frequently overhyped, but it's also half the price, and of no obvious lesser quality- hence the frequent comparison of the two brands. Finally, the NASA story is indeed cool, and it's a hell of a watch which continued to function throughout spaceflight testing where even your beloved Rolex failed.

So please realize the world is bigger than your Rolex, and there are other watches with which one can reward oneself (or another), wear and keep long enough to pass down to one's children or grandchildren. It doesn't have to be a Rolex to fit that particular bill.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; July 5th, 2017 at 04:05.
    flybynight70 and eiwlhunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post
    What an ignorant blow arse you are. Makes me laugh.
    If you don't want honest opinions I suggest you don't seek out threads asking for them.

You don't own a Rolex which is why you don't understand what it means to wear one.

You don't own a Rolex which is why you don't understand what it means to wear one.
    So you know what he owns now too? The context that your posts provide are the reason people often think Rolex owners are wankers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

What would you say if i told you i'm a De Bethune owner and your Daytona C is a load of rubbish?
    Because i think it looks like a Seiko Astron from afar. Wowzers!
    Last edited by tomatoes; July 5th, 2017 at 04:03.
    TonyDennison likes this.
    Seiko Citizen

Page 6 of 6853 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 506 1006 ... LastLast

Thread Information