Opinions on Omega - Page 6041
Like Tree82662Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

  1. #60401
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    14,001

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by 5959HH View Post
    I remain committed to talk Sporty into buying a Marinemaster for his beach activities this summer. Essentially a Grand Seiko movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, Diashield anti-scratch coating, uniblock case construction, etc.

    Since I’m the one who talked Sporty into buying his BLRO, I now need to convince him to proceed with acquisition of a Marinemaster that is the King of midrange priced divers. But definitely not a Tudor or Omega diver for Sporty. Definitely wouldn’t work for him, or me either for that matter.
    IMHO, there is little to no chance of talking him into a MM. In his eyes, it IS a Seiko SKX. Nothing more. Also IMHO, to be the in-your-face MOR.....He CANNOT be caught wearing something other than a Rolex. On the one hand, he screams spend whatever amount over and above MSRP because that is the true price. On the other hand, he won't wear a watch over a hundred bucks on the beach for fear of scratching it and adversely affecting resale value. A TRUE MOR with the ULTIMATE Rolex collection has no care in the world about scratching a Rolex because another 'Unicorn' (as he calls it) can be bought with pocket-change.
    Last edited by Jason71; May 26th, 2019 at 21:34.
    5959HH and Gunnar_917 like this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason




  2. #60402
    Member jorgenl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    fuctifino , NC
    Posts
    1,125

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    I have hired a couple of hundred engineers during teh years.

    Nowadays i alway select the ones wirh an M.Sc (occasionally ph.D).

    Not always because they will need the postgrad stuff in their jobs but because the fact that they were commited to do a few extra years set them apart and shows determination, dicipline and stamina.
    Brother of OoO

  3. #60403
    Member Betterthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bucklesberry
    Posts
    14,874

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by 5959HH View Post
    When traveling alone I never have checked luggage, only a carry on. When traveling with my wife, ....
    Wife has learned to travel like me. If for example, I need a sport jacket.. Visit goodwill.. Buy it.. Wear it.. Donate it back..
    5959HH likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #60404
    Member Betterthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bucklesberry
    Posts
    14,874

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
    I have hired a couple of hundred engineers during teh years.

    Nowadays i alway select the ones wirh an M.Sc (occasionally ph.D).

    Not always because they will need the postgrad stuff in their jobs but because the fact that they were commited to do a few extra years set them apart and shows determination, dicipline and stamina.
    There were times when I wondered if had been worth the trouble..

  6. #60405
    Member Sappie66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,064

    Opinions on Omega

    All this Seiko beater talk leaves out the Turtle/Sumo/Samurai-level divers.

    The SKX is a fine beater, but would not satisfy me on a day-to-day basis — too cheap and cheap looking.

    My MM300 is a very nice beater which is on the cusp of not being a beater. I will happy wear it on those mild beating occasions and vacations.

    For me, the true beaters are my Turtle, Sumo and Samurai. If I scar them up, they would have done their jobs admirably. And I would not be embarrassed if people saw me wearing them.

    Betterthere and 5959HH like this.

  7. #60406
    Member 5959HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I’m one who said that the MM and SKX were comparable, and that the MM is like the SKX but simply more and better.

    What I think the SKX007/009 has going for it is that it’s cheap enough to not worry about. That, along with a common movement, no applied dial furniture to fall off, simple bezel construction, an offset crown, smooth & comfortable case, and a shtiload of lume makes the SKX the best tool-diver-beater you can buy, IMO.

    But if I had to spend more, and not Rolex money, the MM would be my pick, absolutely. More comfortable than others and better specs than almost any other diver.
    And just how do you expect me to convince Sporty to jettison his SKX for a MM when you say stuff like that? Actually an alternate plan would be to take his SKX for real beater activities and a MM as well for less beater use.
    BarracksSi likes this.

  8. #60407
    Member jorgenl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    fuctifino , NC
    Posts
    1,125

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    If I was a true MOR with the ULTIMATE collection , I hope that i would not feel the need to point that out and rub it in Sporty’s face....
    Sappie66 likes this.
    Brother of OoO

  9. #60408
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    14,001

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by 5959HH View Post
    When traveling alone I never have checked luggage, only a carry on. When traveling with my wife, ....
    I'm a very lucky guy. My wife packs fairly light, (strictly because I have trained her) and we never check bags. This comes from chasing all over Europe and needing to schlep our bags from train to train.
    Betterthere and 5959HH like this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason




  10. #60409
    Member 5959HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    IMHO, there is little to no chance of talking him into a MM. In his eyes, it IS a Seiko SKX. Nothing more. Also IMHO, to be the in-your-face MOR.....He CANNOT be caught wearing something other than a Rolex. On the one hand, he screams spend whatever amount over and above MSRP because that is the true price. On the other hand, he won't wear a watch over a hundred bucks on the beach for fear of scratching it and adversely affecting resale value. A TRUE MOR with the ULTIMATE Rolex collection has no care in the world about scratching a Rolex because another 'Unicorn' (as he calls it) can be bought with pocket-change.
    Well since you put it like that ...
    Last edited by Jason71; May 26th, 2019 at 21:34.

  11. #60410
    Member jorgenl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    fuctifino , NC
    Posts
    1,125

    Re: Opinions on Omega

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    There were times when I wondered if had been worth the trouble..
    Hiring or getting a post grad degree ?
    Brother of OoO

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

  1. Panerol Forte,
  2. Snaggletooth

Similar Threads

  1. First Omega, Opinions?
    By j.a.p in forum Omega
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 14th, 2019, 01:18
  2. Opinions please on my first Omega
    By samanderson in forum Omega
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 18th, 2011, 19:18
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 25th, 2011, 15:45
  4. Opinions on my first Omega?
    By F07A in forum Omega
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 25th, 2007, 22:41
  5. Omega opinions
    By Guido Muldoon in forum Dive watches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 4th, 2007, 05:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •