Opinions on Omega - Page 7
Like Tree75974Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 7 of 6945 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 507 1007 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    You say it "doesn't trump the Rolex Brand". Can you elaborate on that? I have nothing against the Rolex brand, but I do find a lot of Rolex fanboys to be boorish and tiresome. Once upon a time, a working man could save for and afford a Rolex for about two weeks' wages. Over the past few decades, the price of the watch has soared. Perhaps the quality is better, but hasn't the quality of ALL mechanical watches improved over the past several decades?

I personally find Rolex to be overhyped and overpriced. Omega is often overhyped as well, but I enjoy their styles more- and at half the price, and no reduction in quality of "lasting significance" that I can see.

So, again, please enlighten us mere mortals.
    In simple terms? Everyone notices a Rolex and assigns credibility to its owner. An Omega does not get noticed let alone have much brand cache.

Understand, there are no "Rolex fanboys". Rolex owners are men, grown men, with big careers and high achievements. We are not boorish; we are accomplished. We are not tiresome; we are worldly. None of us wants to be seen in a "working man's watch" that's affordable on "two weeks wages". None of us care much about the improvements of mechanical watch technology, we care about what celebrities and power brokers are wearing the Rolex brand. We care about what our co-workers think of us. We wear the right shoes, the right shirts, the right suits, and the right jewelry.

You are allowed to love your Omega's and I encourage you to do so. Back in the day I loved my Seiko's and my Omega's too. But Rolex isn't about "price" or "mechanical quality". Rolex is about perception. Rolex says something about it's owner. Some of us like that. No one will dare say it, but some of us even like how this bothers some people. Rolex has spent billions of dollars and a century of years cultivating its brand and its image. None of my observations and opinions should be shocking to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    If you don't want honest opinions I suggest you don't seek out threads asking for them.

You don't own a Rolex which is why you don't understand what it means to wear one.
    I didn't ask for anything. I'm just commenting on your ignorant assertion.
    flybynight70 likes this.

Ive now owned both brands, but Rolex was/is my grail watch. Like I said HAVE owned both. I have sold/traded all three Omegas that I used to own. But I dont see selling/trading my Rolex, unless it is for ANOTHER Rolex.
    The Collection:
    Rolex 2004 Sea Dweller 16600
    BREITLING ​Super Avenger A13370
    OMEGA 1954 Omega Automatic Cal 490
    TISSOT Vintage T12 Visodate
    SEIKO SARB017 Alpinist| SRPC 93 Save The Ocean Samurai | SBDC063 Baby Marine Master |
    Land Monster SNM037
    |
    SNKP23 Recraft | SNE109 Solar Diver
    ORIENT M Force Bravo EL0A-D1
    CITIZEN Skyhawk A-T
    LE JOUR Vintage Diver
    Zodiac Glorious
    BULOVA ​Vintage Seaking M9

Elgin
    Vintage Shockmaster
    Timex
    Red Wing Waterbury Chronograph | Allied Chronograph TW2R46700 | Expedition T49891
    Invicta
    9937OB
    Momentum
    M1 Deep 6 Professional

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

In simple terms? Everyone notices a Rolex and assigns credibility to its owner. An Omega does not get noticed let alone have much brand cache.

Understand, there are no "Rolex fanboys". Rolex owners are men, grown men, with big careers and high achievements. We are not boorish; we are accomplished. We are not tiresome; we are worldly. None of us wants to be seen in a "working man's watch" that's affordable on "two weeks wages". None of us care much about the improvements of mechanical watch technology, we care about what celebrities and power brokers are wearing the Rolex brand. We care about what our co-workers think of us. We wear the right shoes, the right shirts, the right suits, and the right jewelry.

You are allowed to love your Omega's and I encourage you to do so. Back in the day I loved my Seiko's and my Omega's too. But Rolex isn't about "price" or "mechanical quality". Rolex is about perception. Rolex says something about it's owner. Some of us like that. No one will dare say it, but some of us even like how this bothers some people. Rolex has spent billions of dollars and a century of years cultivating its brand and its image. None of my observations and opinions should be shocking to you.
    So you like your Rolex because of how you are perceived by others when you wear it. And you operate under the assumption that nobody who is accomplished can also be boorish. That's cute.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; July 5th, 2017 at 04:15.

Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes View Post
    What would you say if i told you i'm a De Bethune owner and your Daytona C is a load of rubbish?
    I would say that I have no idea what a De Bethune is and neither does the average person on the street therefore it has no significance to anyone but yourself and a small niche group of watch enthusiasts. One of the things that makes a Rolex special is that it ticks the boxes of great style, terrific design, unique technology, fantastic craftsmanship, high cost, and immediate recognition by anyone you meet anywhere in the world.

I just spent 2 weeks in Greece and was stalked in jewelry stores, airports, swimming pools, and hotel lobbies by men and women who needed no more than a two second glance to see a Rolex Daytona Ceramic in their presence. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the attention.

Opinions on Omega

There are many (thankfully) Rolex owners, myself included, who would wholy disagree with your values. Bear in mind though that they would also agree that you are in fact a Wanker!

BTW Please don't include the pronoun "we" when referring to your Rolex ownership. "We" Rolex owners are nothing like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Michael Day; July 5th, 2017 at 04:17.
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post
    I didn't ask for anything. I'm just commenting on your ignorant assertion.
    You don't own a Rolex, so please tell me you see the humor when you raise the topic of "ignorance", yes?

I've owned 10 Omega's and 20 Rolexes, they're not the same thing. Trust me.

You don't own a Rolex, so please tell me you see the humor when you raise the topic of "ignorance", yes?

I've owned 10 Omega's and 20 Rolexes, they're not the same thing. Trust me.
    Now you're demonstrating your arrogance. But that's ok. Carry on.
    flybynight70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    So you like your Rolex because of how you are perceived by others when you wear it. That's cute.
    Listen, I didn't create this perception. Rolex did. They've spent billions of dollars over 100 years carefully crafting the reputation of the brand and what it means to be seen wearing one of their timepieces.

The paradox always amuses me. Those who don't like what Rolex means to the average guy on the street shouldn't be wearing a Rolex. It comes with the watch. It's standard equipment. And this thought that we should all shy away from the stereotype....please. People act like they didn't know going-in that buying a Rolex was going to typecast them as a certain type of individual. "That's not me" they say. "Those aren't my values" they say. Oh. Really.

Inactive

Listen, I didn't create this perception. Rolex did. They've spent billions of dollars over 100 years carefully crafting the reputation of the brand and what it means to be seen wearing one of their timepieces.

The paradox always amuses me. Those who don't like what Rolex means to the average guy on the street shouldn't be wearing a Rolex. It comes with the watch. It's standard equipment. And this thought that we should all shy away from the stereotype....please. People act like they didn't know going-in that buying a Rolex was going to typecast them as a certain type of individual. "That's not me" they say. "Those aren't my values" they say. Oh. Really.
    Oh, I think you've done a fine job of creating a perception. I'm not sure it's the one you intended, but it's definitely on you.

Page 7 of 6945 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 507 1007 ... LastLast

Thread Information