Opinions on Omega - Page 8
Like Tree76240Likes

Thread: Opinions on Omega

Page 8 of 6811 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 508 1008 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Day View Post
    There are many (thankfully) Rolex owners, myself included, who would wholy disagree with your values. Bear in mind though that they would also agree that you are in fact a Wanker!

BTW Please don't include the pronoun "we" when referring to your Rolex ownership. "We" Rolex owners are nothing like you.
    I don't know what a Wanker is but I assume that it is not good. I use the word "we" because that's what the collective perception of Rolex is in the eyes of the public, not because all Rolex owners buy-in to that perception. I didn't buy my Rolexes because of public perception if that's what you're aiming for.

Getting past semantics, it is wholeheartedly impossible for anyone not to know what the public perception is of Rolex as a brand and what that perception says about its owner. Rolex is the #1 luxury brand in the world, it's the #1 symbol of status in the world, so tell me why you want to run and hide from this perception? Isn't that at least a small part of why you paid 3x as much for your Explorer than you did if instead you purchased an Aqua Terra or Seamaster?

"Opinions on Omega" starts with an understanding of what makes Omega different than Rolex. Well, the brand tax is the biggest differentiator. "We" (not all of us, but the collective Rolex buying public) pay a lot more for a watch of similar function to an Omega for one reason- brand image. I get the fact that it's unseemly to talk this way, we're all supposed to be great people with wholesome values blah blah. But we're talking about Rolex. LOL. It's the #1 status symbol in the world. You can't tell me with a straight face that brand perception didn't play into your purchase process.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    I don't know what a Wanker is but I assume that it is not good. I use the word "we" because that's what the collective perception of Rolex is in the eyes of the public, not because all Rolex owners buy-in to that perception. I didn't buy my Rolexes because of public perception if that's what you're aiming for.

Getting past semantics, it is wholeheartedly impossible for anyone not to know what the public perception is of Rolex as a brand and what that perception says about its owner. Rolex is the #1 luxury brand in the world, it's the #1 symbol of status in the world, so tell me why you want to run and hide from this perception? Isn't that at least a small part of why you paid 3x as much for your Explorer than you did if instead you purchased an Aqua Terra or Seamaster?

"Opinions on Omega" starts with an understanding of what makes Omega different than Rolex. Well, the brand tax is the biggest differentiator. "We" (not all of us, but the collective Rolex buying public) pay a lot more for a watch of similar function to an Omega for one reason- brand image. I get the fact that it's unseemly to talk this way, we're all supposed to be great people with wholesome values blah blah. But we're talking about Rolex. LOL. It's the #1 status symbol in the world. You can't tell me with a straight face that brand perception didn't play into your purchase process.
    So do you buy Rolex for perception or don't you? Which is it?
    highbob and Sappie66 like this.

Opinions on Omega

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    So do you buy Rolex for perception or don't you? Which is it?
    Depends who logs in next.
    Last edited by Galaga; July 5th, 2017 at 05:37.
    Atleo and meremale like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega is several "notches" below Rolex in every category. As for the owners? I own both so I like them both :)
    Stelyos and Atleo like this.

Here: gw-5000-1jf, 16600, 30-st-135.003 | Gone: gw-5035a-1jf,
    sbbn025, 16660, 16600 (2), 14060, 16610, 16570 polar, 16570

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaia View Post
    Omegas get dated fairly quickly. Never seen a dated Rolex.
    Those 2-tone jubilee bracelets would like a word with you. So would my Speedy Pro.

Banned

Opinions on Omega

Omega is dog s***.... tons of issues with the silicone springs, china made bracelets, silly moon watch that was one of like 20 watches worn to the moon, you can even watch NASA videos of today's astronauts and they DO NOT wear that POS. Horrible fit and finish, a million variations of each model, hmmm what other company pumps out a million variations??? Oh yes! Invicta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Stelyos; July 5th, 2017 at 16:23.

Omega will always be seen as a company playing catch up with Rolex. They are trying really hard to compete with Rolex but always 2 steps behind. Rolex reputation is build up over a very long period of time. Not just in the last 10 years.

You're really drinking that Rolex Kool Aid, huh? Nothing wrong in thinking that Rolex is superior, in fact I'd agree. But Omega is certainly not dog shi*.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelyos View Post
    Omega is dog s***.... tons of issues with the silicone springs, china made bracelets, silly moon watch that was one of like 20 watches worn to the moon, you can even watch NASA videos of today's astronauts and they DO NOT wear that POS. Horrible fit and finish, a million variations of each model, hmmm what other company pumps out a million variations??? Oh yes! Invicta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    Yes, and it's also the watch you get if you don't like and/or can't afford a Daytona.

I know this firsthand you see. I never liked the look of the Daytona with the steel bezel so I never considered it as my go-to chronograph. Now that I own a Daytona Ceramic, I don't give my Speedmaster a second look. The NASA backstory is cool but it doesn't trump the Rolex brand.

And that is a tidy way to summarize the discussion. Omega is cool but it's not a Rolex. It's a watch that can please owners who aren't trying to impress anyone or reward themselves with items of lasting significance.
    highbob and flybynight70 like this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

I'm naturally drawn to the wrist of anyone I meet just to see what their wearing, not to make a point of superiority, but to see if there is a conversation to be sparked by someone wearing a higher-end timepiece. As an owner of both Rolex and Omega, I am biased, but I don't disparage an Omega owner, but there are some connotations that I have learned to deal with with a particular branch of Rolex owners.

Page 8 of 6811 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 508 1008 ... LastLast

Thread Information