Please Help A New Guy With Some Questions
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Please Help A New Guy With Some Questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Help A New Guy With Some Questions

Hello All! I’m a new member here at WUS, but not new to watches in general. I am new to the Tudor brand though. I joined WUS to get some info regarding Tudor watches. I see 2 different Tudor offerings that I like...Black Bay and Pelagos. Now to my questions....Tudor watches seem to be similar to Rolex (also same forum), what are the differences other than name? Also, how do Tudor watches compare in resale to something like Oris, Tag or Longines?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I’m just trying to gather some info before spending some hard earned money.

ZCT

Re: Please Help A New Guy With Some Questions

Rolex owns Tudor, it was always designed to be a more affordable alternative. Like VW and Audi.

While I've never owned a Tudor, I think they are doing fantastically well in recent years, making some great products and even taking some innovative steps that the more conservative Rolex parent brand would not take (not as quickly anyway).

If you like them I'd argue they are superior to the other brands mentioned and would almost certainly be more valuable in resale than offerings from those other brands down the road.

Many would argue that due to changing market conditions, Tudor is priced at the equivalent of where Rolex used to be many years ago, and thus provide comparative great value, and less hassle waiting for specific models to come available.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

ZCT is absolutely spot on with his information.

You should not be concerned with resale value. Watches are not investments; they are something to be worn, used, and enjoyed. If you are concerned about resale value, and post about that, you will get a lot of flack from members here. Many members are sensitive to that topic, as it gets posted so often, mostly by people looking to buy and sell for a maximum profit. (Those folk are called "Flippers" - you will learn more about them as you peruse the watch websites and begin to pick up more overall information of the hobby.)

Pelagos or Black Bay: Tudor makes some VERY fine watches, the Black Bay and Pelagos included. They are among the very popular of the brand, in general.

I very much like my Pelagos LHD. I consider it as "sort of" an updated Rolex Submariner. Fully lumed bezel, all Titanium, 70 hour power reserve, wider and easier to read indices and hands, and the lume is amazing. There are other things too numerous to go into here. In many ways Tudor has some technology that is "currently" surpassing Rolex. (Please, no hate here, I love Rolex as much as all others do.)

Tudor is the sister company of Rolex, founded by the same person. The intent was to have almost Rolex quality at a reduced cost. They succeeded nicely. They are way less cost for incredible quality. Some of their watches have a more vintage appearance to them, which is something I particularly like.

You cannot go wrong with a Black Bay or Pelagos as far as a great quality item. In fact I am currently attempting to obtain a Tudor Black Bay GMT.

Tudor has now been moving to their own in-house made movements, and they are very fine ones at that. They are every bit as durable as sister Rolex, and easily keep time on par with Rolex movements.

Please post any more questions you may have.

Most of us are here to help as much as we can.

Sorry for duplicating ZCT's info, but he posted while I was writing.
    Last edited by Rolexplorer; 1 Week Ago at 21:52.
    Rolex R150533 Oyster Perpetual Date
    Rolex 16613 Submariner
    Rolex 214270 Explorer 'full lume'
    Hamilton 992B Railway Special
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Miscellaneous fine quality Stopwatches
    "Life is too short not to have a Rolex"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One major difference in comparison to Rolex use to be that Tudor used “off the shelf” movements (ETA) the Chevy LS of the watch world (?,lol). But now in the models you mention Tudor uses there own in house movement.

I’d be curious to see, finishing aside, how Tudor in house movements compare to what’s in the newest Subs for example.

A Rolex isn’t in the cards for me right now or any time soon so I’m loving my Pelagos in the meantime. It would certainly be worth your time to check one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sebast975 likes this.

Thanks to all who have responded so far. In regards to resale, I would plan on keeping the watch for many years, but things do change and happen. When purchasing anything that costs several thousand, I always like to know if I have to move it....how bad of a beating will I take. Lol! I would never consider a watch as an investment. I’ve never made money on anything I’ve bought and then sold. 😂
    tynan.nida and draperfish like this.

I have an Explorer and Explorer II as well as the Tudor Ranger and North Flag. Over the years the Tudor watches have gotten more wrist time. I love them both and keep time as consistently as the Explorer twins.
    Rolexplorer and draperfish like this.

As a newcomer, take all comments you read on which one is better and what owning one vs tother says about anyone as a person as just bar room banter. Funny and entertaining but ultimately nonsensical.

All very nice watches with strong resale value. That aside and assuming the watch styles suits your tastes, the biggest thing to consider is size. Trying to get hands on at a retailer may be hard except the 41mm Black Bay and 42mm Pelagos.

This is relative to me and my round 7-3/8" wrist, the 39mm lack Bay 58 wore too small, the 40mm Sub wears perfect, and 41mm Black Bay was too thick. I owned all 3 of those. The Pelagos I tried on several times and it was too massive for the style.

I only own one Tudor, the Black Bay 58, in my limited experience the regular Black Bay's and the Pelagos are very thick watches and feel chunky with the thick slab sides. Have you tried them on in person? That's what I love about the 58, it's smaller and thinner and wears much more comfortable to me. If you like the thicker bigger watches I think Tudor is a great option, very good quality and significantly less than comparable Rolex models.

Don't get wrapped up in resale values, currently Rolex stock is doing good but like all stocks it can take a dip even tho historically it has been strong.
    Tudor remind me of Omega in terms of resale value, better than most brands.

Tudor as of late has also been the more 'daring' in both its designs and advertising. Don't think you can go too wrong with it as a watch choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gtuck View Post
    I have an Explorer and Explorer II as well as the Tudor Ranger and North Flag. Over the years the Tudor watches have gotten more wrist time. I love them both and keep time as consistently as the Explorer twins.
    The Pelagos LHD has displaced the Rolex Explorer from my wrist for quite some time now. And I LOVE the Explorer.
    Rolex R150533 Oyster Perpetual Date
    Rolex 16613 Submariner
    Rolex 214270 Explorer 'full lume'
    Hamilton 992B Railway Special
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Miscellaneous fine quality Stopwatches
    "Life is too short not to have a Rolex"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information