poor Seiko guy needs help......

Thread: poor Seiko guy needs help......

poor Seiko guy needs help......

hi guys. i need a little help with IDing a Rolex dial i received. it's like nothing i've ever seen, but then again i know Seiko, not Rolex

here's the backstory- a buddy of mine (also a degenerate Seikoholic) sent me some of his watches to mod. his late father was a Rolex cert watchmaker in NYC in the '70s-early '80s and he had a boatload of old tools cluttering up his desk drawer. with no desire to ever open a case, he sent me the tools and some random spare Rolex parts with the idea that i could sell 'em or keep 'em (whatever i wanted to do). lots of good tools, but also a tin full of ladies Rolex and Tudor dials (all in the cellophane), another tin with a ladies Rolex dial and mov't all apart, a bunch of crowns (signed and unsigned), and the last tin i opened had a NOS timing bezel (nice aging on the lume pip!) and this dial-

IMG_3330 by erik.swenson, on Flickr

i've left all the additional links to the photo if anyone wants to have a look at higher res photos. i don't have a proper macro lens with me (just an EF 28-135mm w/"macro mode" and my wide angles are no good for this either), but a snapped a shot and cropped it a little.

when i first opened the envelope, it looked as if the dial was steel and had completely corroded except the print was perfect. i repair laptops for a living and i've got a large lighted magnifying glass, so i had a look under both powers of glass. it has a multi-colored grain to it that gives an overall impression of brown sueded texture when looked at w/o magnification. the lens i used to photograph it doesn't really convey the texture, but it does convey the multi-colors (it almost looks like digital noise). the markers are all polished gold and there appears to be lume dots but i haven't tested them.

so, my questions are open ended- anyone ever seen a dial like this before? are there any online references i can have a look at that may give me some idea as to how rare (or not) this is? any idea of value and where may be the best place to put it and maybe the rest of the parts up FS?

i've done some quick google searches here at work but i haven't yet begun a serious investigation as i just opened the package this morning. any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated

Re: poor Seiko guy needs help......

You've got a dial for a Day Date model...not much more and not much less. A lot of different colors and textures have been offered over the years for that model...some of the more esoteric dials have some higher value, but you're probably not going to fund your retirement with this one.

To see where you are with value head on over to ebay and search for Day Date dials as there are lots there. Check out the current offerings and then the completed auctions and you'll get a ballpark idea of what you might get for this one on the resale market. Once you establish a value for asking price, I'd suggest a watch sales forum like here on WUS first as the collector's market tends to gravitate in those sales venues. If that doesn't work, there's always ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
    You've got a dial for a Day Date model...not much more and not much less. A lot of different colors and textures have been offered over the years for that model...some of the more esoteric dials have some higher value, but you're probably not going to fund your retirement with this one.

To see where you are with value head on over to ebay and search for Day Date dials as there are lots there. Check out the current offerings and then the completed auctions and you'll get a ballpark idea of what you might get for this one on the resale market. Once you establish a value for asking price, I'd suggest a watch sales forum like here on WUS first as the collector's market tends to gravitate in those sales venues. If that doesn't work, there's always ebay.
    thanks for your feedback i wasn't expecting a lot for it, but i didn't want to get taken for a ride, either (the ol' sell it for $X only to find out later it was worth 10x that). i have done a little research on eekBay but i can't determine if the day-date dials offered there are like a lot of the Seiko dials offered (aftermarket or fakes). seems like average is $200-300 +/- $50. some going for close to a grand (diamonds). there was nothing remotely close to this dial in 7 pages of dials.

i'll do some more research tonite after i put the kids to bed. thanks again for you input.

if anyone has more to add, feel free :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

on ebay, some, but I'd say on any given day about 30% of the dials for Rolex are redials...meaning they've been refinished in some way, shape or form...most often by adding diamonds. To the Rolex/Tudor purist crowd, that's a strong negative, but to the average owner on the street who wants some bling, they probably don't care. Your dial looks unblemished by customization, but appears to be showing its age. Keep in mind that the listing price for the heavy duty vendors of Rolex dials are more statements of wishful thinking and that when/if they sell, it's often for less. You also want to determine what movement caliber your dial is for...that will be dictated by the dial foot positioning. In the Day Date line, there have been probably 3 movement series, all with differing configurations for attaching the dial to the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
    on ebay, some, but I'd say on any given day about 30% of the dials for Rolex are redials...meaning they've been refinished in some way, shape or form...most often by adding diamonds. To the Rolex/Tudor purist crowd, that's a strong negative, but to the average owner on the street who wants some bling, they probably don't care. Your dial looks unblemished by customization, but appears to be showing its age. Keep in mind that the listing price for the heavy duty vendors of Rolex dials are more statements of wishful thinking and that when/if they sell, it's often for less. You also want to determine what movement caliber your dial is for...that will be dictated by the dial foot positioning. In the Day Date line, there have been probably 3 movement series, all with differing configurations for attaching the dial to the movement.
    good info, thank you! the photo is really not one i'm proud of. the lighting was shite, the lens is in need of a cleaning and really had a hard time getting a lock on the AF. i had to re-shoot after a half dozen in the first round. the one posted is marginally better than those |o the markers are highly polished and in very good shape. i should have posted a pic shot at a slightly different angle to show the polish. it's really a 100x better in person.

Thread Information