WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Question about 3035 axle rotor

711 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tripreed 
#1 ·
I attempted to post this on TRF, but for some reason I have some weird problem on there where things that I post don't get put up for hours or days. So I apologize to anyone who might later happen to see this on TRF at some point.

I got married in December and my wife gave me a 1983 16030 Datejust as my wedding gift. It was purchased from Capetown Diamond out of Atlanta, who I took to be a reputable Rolex dealer. I wear the watch daily.

I wear my watch on a metal bracelet, which can be kind of jangly sometimes, but noticed the other day that it sounded like there was a different noise coming from the watch. I took it off the bracelet last night and confirmed the noise, and after doing some Googling, it seems to me that it is likely a worn axle rotor. The watch has still been keeping good time, though.

My question is whether this part has worn out since I started wearing the watch in December, or whether this is likely a part that was not replaced in a prior service. My watch did come with a 12 month warranty from Capetown and I plan to send it back to them for assessment/repair, but I am trying to determine beforehand whether they will cover it, or whether they will chalk it up to "normal wear and tear" and therefore not be covered. For what it's worth, the watch has not been dropped, nor has it had any significant impacts while on my wrist.

Assuming it is, indeed, the axle rotor, and it is repaired, is there any way to anticipate how long it will be until this becomes an issue again? I know that my wife is not going to be thrilled if we have to come out of pocket for a full servicing (as I have read can be the case with a worn axle rotor due to metal shavings in the case) after nine months on my wrist, especially if this happens every year or two.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The noise is that of the rotor contacting the automatic bridge, and indeed it could be causing metal filings to ingress into the movement. Best advice is to stop wearing it and send it back. It’s something that might or might not be covered under warranty as it’s a part that is susceptible to wear so they could say it is just general wear and tear. Speak nicely to them and see if a compromise can be reached if they deny liability. Their reputation has no bearing (pun intended) on this particular issue as it might not have been evident when they sold the watch originally.

#4 ·
The noise is that of the rotor contacting the automatic bridge, and indeed it could be causing metal filings to ingress into the movement. Best advice is to stop wearing it and send it back. It's something that might or might not be covered under warranty as it's a part that is susceptible to wear so they could say it is just general wear and tear. Speak nicely to them and see if a compromise can be reached if they deny liability. Their reputation has no bearing (pun intended) on this particular issue as it might not have been evident when they sold the watch originally.
Thanks for your input. I read that about metal shavings and did stop wearing it once I did.

#3 ·
My experience is that Capetown does NOT service watches much of the time (unless specifically stated that it has had a full service) before a sale. I would imagine they inspect the movement for authenticity, but then float you a 12 month warranty knowing that something is fairly unlikely to occur within the first year. A friend of mine had to send a TT DJ from the same era to RSC for a full service after approximately 18 months purchased from the same entity. They also sent the watch short x 1 link and made him pay for an additional link. I wouldn’t every buy something from them after my experience through my friend. I facilitated the watch transaction, and was fairly disappointed.

It is highly unlikely that you have done anything to cause premature wear. It’s an old watch that was likely due for a service when you purchased it.

JMHO of course.

#5 ·
My experience is that Capetown does NOT service watches much of the time (unless specifically stated that it has had a full service) before a sale. I would imagine they inspect the movement for authenticity, but then float you a 12 month warranty knowing that something is fairly unlikely to occur within the first year. A friend of mine had to send a TT DJ from the same era to RSC for a full service after approximately 18 months purchased from the same entity. They also sent the watch short x 1 link and made him pay for an additional link. I wouldn't every buy something from them after my experience through my friend. I facilitated the watch transaction, and was fairly disappointed.

It is highly unlikely that you have done anything to cause premature wear. It's an old watch that was likely due for a service when you purchased it.

JMHO of course.
Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment about Capetown's practice of likely just inspecting and then covering with a 12 month warranty. I'm currently planning on contacting them and seeing how it goes. If I do have to end up shelling out for a full service myself, at least I'll have the peace of mind of knowing the full detail of its current state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.