Question for a friend looking to purchase submariner

Thread: Question for a friend looking to purchase submariner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for a friend looking to purchase submariner

A friend of mine is in the market for a Sub on the lower end of the price range. He likes the vintage look and found a 1989 with a decent amount of patina in his price range. He’s been asking the seller questions and he’s been very responsive. The watch seems to be running mechanically very well. One thing that’s concerning him is the material inside the 12 o’clock “triangle” appears to be chipped. There’s obviously some “ageing” in the hands as well. I don’t know much about vintage Rolexes so I offered to post the concern here with some pics and see what the community’s opinion is of this. Is it completely normal? Just part of the vintage thing? Or would this be concerning to you and a no go.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Question for a friend looking to purchase submariner

Hands may have been re-lumed? Sure someone with more knowledge than I will chip in.

Or the markers themselves were re-lumed and the hands weren't?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks almost like the hour and second hands were replaced - the minute hand could also have been, but clearly of different quality. He should ask for a front shot with the bezel aligned-not sure if the angle of the photo, but it looks like the cyclops is misaligned. Maybe head over to TRF - there are some other things that look a little off to me. First impression for me is a no.

Thanks guys. This has sufficiently worried my friend. The watch is under $6k so he was hoping it would be a safe buy.

Any other comments are still more than welcome.

Ask Jason.

I suggest your friend gets one from a trusted seller. The vintage and older gen 16610s are a potential minefield of corruption, fraudsters, and frankens for the uninitiated. It will cost a bit more, but you will have ease of mind wrt authenticity and a warranty. Look at the likes DavidsW, Bobs watches and numerour other trusted sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
    I suggest your friend gets one from a trusted seller. The vintage and older gen 16610s are a potential minefield of corruption, fraudsters, and frankens for the uninitiated. It will cost a bit more, but you will have ease of mind wrt authenticity and a warranty. Look at the likes DavidsW, Bobs watches and numerour other trusted sellers.
    My friend told me the seller is HQ Milton, who apparently has pretty good reviews. His initial concern wasn’t really even about the authenticity, but more about the condition of the dial/indices/hands.

I believe the hour markers have been relumed to give it the faux-patina. Very poor job IMHO. I can’t really tell with the hands. It would need to be at least $1,000 (at least....minimum I say) or more below the going rate. Personally, I would go into a transaction with the idea that it needs a relume of the hands and dial. Without the bracelet? Hmmmmmmm........ask Jacek about the lume. I have never seen it like that. Either it has had a relume or moisture intrusion inside the case.

It is from Jacek, so he’s a solid seller. For the price, I would personally put $1,000 with it and get a newer watch with a luminova dial and hands, and a bracelet. Also a solid seller......

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs...l-4913169.html
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi71 View Post
    My friend told me the seller is HQ Milton, who apparently has pretty good reviews. His initial concern wasn’t really even about the authenticity, but more about the condition of the dial/indices/hands.

Jacek is a top reputable seller. You can buy from him with confidence. I’m just not sure that’s the best example for the price. If he came off the price a little, it might be ok.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information