WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rate this Datejust 16220's quality

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  sportura 
#1 ·

I'm a fan of dial color and config, the bezel, and jubillee. I'm not an expert and would like this purchase this model, but am not sure there are any bad signs i'm missing (replaced parts, overpolishing, etc) You guys see anything off about this model??

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist
Bracelet Fashion accessory Jewellery Hand Finger
Metal Tool accessory Steel Titanium Cylinder
Metal Titanium Auto part Muffler Steel

See less See more
#6 ·
The lugs still have their meat, and the drilled lug holes are not to close to the upper edge of each lug. It's probably been polished at some point to lessen the effect of superficial scratches but not sanded down. Crucial for collectors seeking value but 95% of owners of expensive watches just want their stuff looking nice, not derelict ::)

#5 ·
I see nothing out of the ordinary with this watch. It looks well cared for, at least on the surface. One sign is that it's been cleaned of the crud that accumulates on watches over time and there are a whole lot of examples where the seller won't even afford the courtesy of even a superficial cleaning before letting it go to market.

If you've done your due diligence on the seller and you're happy with the price and what you get is what's pictured, you have my blessing to pull the trigger and join the ranks of millions of others by owning the flagship model Datejust Rolex.

#7 ·
It looks age appropriate, but well cared for. I have to agree with someone else, there's not wrist-cheese in those photos, especially in Jubilee bracelets. Quite honestly, those are pretty good close-ups and they're basically saying they have nothing to hide.

#10 ·

I'm not a fan of the yellowish hue of the dial. Not sure if it's actually champagne or a silver dial that has aged from light exposure. Two-tone combinations aren't very fashionable, and especially on a Datejust where you want to avoid that TT cliche.

A silver dial should look like the one in the photo above. Note also that there are 1000's of these out there for sale, they are very easy to find, so if you aren't 100% sure just take a pass and find another. Won't take you more than a day.

#11 ·
I'm not a fan of the yellowish hue of the dial. Not sure if it's actually champagne or a silver dial that has aged from light exposure. Two-tone combinations aren't very fashionable, and especially on a Datejust where you want to avoid that TT cliche.
A watch that recent isn't going to develop a patina like that - it would have been that champagne colour from new. Doesn't look like a TT to me though - isn't the whole TT thing about the jangly bracelet and gold crown and bezel?

#14 ·
Unless you are completely in love with this watch including the dial color, I would hard-pass and walk away.

I've bought several preowned DJ's from this dealer, he has great prices, the quality is top, and he services the watches before they are sold. Some examples:

https://www.tarrytownjewelers.com/?s=1601&post_type=product

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.