Recommendation: Rolex for me
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Recommendation: Rolex for me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Recommendation: Rolex for me

Greetings watch geeks!

I desperately need your help — Rolex has been my narrowed down timepiece (I believe), but I included some runner ups.

Ultimately I want a watch that I can wear daily and pass on to my newborn son when the time is most appropriate. Here is where I need your expertise/opinion:

Details that might help:
    -I wear a suit daily to work
    -Looking for something I can throw on a different strap for whatever occasion (black leather strap for work, something more sporty/casual when I’m not in a suit)
    -I love traveling (fully intend on traveling with my son as he gets older) AND of course wearing the timepiece while traveling and making memories
    -My wrist measure 19.5cm or ~7.7in (I’m on the shorter end if that matter proportionately)
    -looking for something made the year my son was born (2019)

Timepieces I’ve had my eyes on (some are not Rolex’s):
    -Rolex Explorer 214270 (39mm)
    -Rolex Datejust fluted or non-fluted (36mm)
    -Rolex Cellini 50509
    -Grand Seiko (SBGM235)
    -Grand Seiko (SBGW031 or SBGW231)
    -Tudor 58 (more sporty I suppose, so not sure this piece will be a good fit, but I like the proportions)

Obviously an investment, so looking for something that will be considered a classic and staple no matter what. Something that checks a lot of boxes. As much as I’d love to have a collection, it’s not something I’m actually striving for. I love vintage, but am leaning towards new.

Thank you for your help!!!

Re: Recommendation: Rolex for me

Rolex Explorer all day everyday. Dressy enough for suits, but built and meant for the great outdoors. Go anywhere do anything watch
    calvincc likes this.

I concur 214260 Explorer I Mk2 based on your criteria but imagine opinions of others will be all over the board.
    calvincc likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AEROSPACE_504 View Post
    <snip>
    I want a watch that I can wear daily
    ::
    pass on to my newborn son when the time is most appropriate
    -I wear a suit daily to work
    -Looking for something I can throw on a different strap for whatever occasion (black leather strap for work, something more sporty/casual when I’m not in a suit)
    -I love traveling (fully intend on traveling with my son as he gets older) AND of course wearing the timepiece while traveling and making memories
    -looking for something made the year my son was born (2019)

Timepieces I’ve had my eyes on (some are not Rolex’s):
    -Rolex Explorer 214270 (39mm)
    -Rolex Datejust fluted or non-fluted (36mm)
    -Rolex Cellini 50509
    -Grand Seiko (SBGM235)
    -Grand Seiko (SBGW031 or SBGW231)
    -Tudor 58 (more sporty I suppose, so not sure this piece will be a good fit, but I like the proportions)

Obviously an investment, so looking for something that will be considered a classic and staple no matter what.
    Okay, you have a list. You said you wanted a daily wearer and you wear suits all day but also love to travel. You also want a watch that has good retained value, a classic and staple (no matter what) and hope to pass it to your newborn son.

Okay, the watch you really want is a Rolex GMT Master II.

The GMT Master II ticks all your boxes, i.e. it is a great daily wearer and wears well in a suit as well as smart casual during weekends and holidays. Holidays? Why, the GMT hand will come in handy too. What better watch to pass to your son then the watch that he has seen worn by his father and travelled the world collecting all that memories with?

Moreover, the classic and staple Rolex is only these three, Explorer, Submariner and GMT Master. You only need to check sales listings of the last 30 years and you will see the GMT Master is a very strong performer. Only bummer is you won't know if the watch was manufactured in 2019 as all Rolex watches have random serials now. Only way for you to guess is the warranty card which shows purchase date in 2019.

Forget about the rest. You're welcome.
    Triton9, calvincc and sdiver68 like this.

Explorer or 58. The explorer will look best on the bracelet. You're limited on straps unless you use curved spring bars or an everest/rubberb. The 58 would be the best option if you want true versatility. It has warm tones encased in a sports watch. Not to mention the watch is a strap monster on nato/ leather/ rubber.
    |Ω

You love travel and something you can wear daily..

Get a Batman.
    calvincc likes this.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

GMT or Batman is ok in a suit?

It's not bad if it mostly stays under the cuff, even though I'm on the traditional side. I guess it depends on what you see around you.
    Is it time for another coffee?

Absolutely. Of course I'm getting older and find myself caring less and less about what I'm supposed to wear with what.

I agree a GMT Master would be a great choice but from the choices you've given I'd go Explorer.

GMT was literally designed to be worn at work by guys wearing suits (Pan American Airlines pilots).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information