Recommended Tudor ADs
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kawika

Thread: Recommended Tudor ADs

Recommended Tudor ADs

Hello everyone! I’m a new member of the watch community so forgive me if a thread like this already exists somewhere. I’m currently in the market for a Tudor Black Bay. I’ve seen many opinions regarding grey market, preowned, and Authorized Dealers with Tudor and am not trying to spark that debate. I was, however, wondering if some of you who have purchased from ADs have any recommendations on which ones to contact for the best prices. I’ve heard that Tudor discounts are usually relatively slim but I know they’re out there. I hear Govberg thrown around a lot and have already contacted them but was just hoping to get some more leads so I can do my due diligence before my first significant purchase. Prefer to buy within the U.S. and I have no preference which state.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Recommended Tudor ADs

We all have different motivations for different product acquisitions in our lives. Some with drive certain distances to save a dollar on a $5 product, while others value convenience over what might be considered minor price savings.

Now a watch isn't a $5 item, but in the world of watch acquisition, there are different levels of expected experiences. Going to an AD, trying on various models for look, utility and function and then having the 'full' experience of box, papers, compliments, sizing and even the shopping bag is worth something. Others are fine with scanning forums for information, finding a web based seller and placing a generic order in order to save what they consider to be an appropriate amount is the way to go.

You're presenting as a pure price shopper. Evidence gathered on this and other forums would point in the direction of an on line seller, which, if people are following the rules, would preclude an AD in the USA, as they're widely thought of as needing to adhere to the Rolex USA contract barring anything other than a face to face transaction. An AD face to face can potentially result in a negotiated discount, but that requires effort and taking the risk of asking and then bargaining and maybe a willingness to walk out if the deal is not satisfactory to both parties.

There is no singular AD that we all secretly know about and if asked politely will reveal the name of that offers eye popping discounts with phone transactions or web commerce. If you've made your product choice and now wish to squeeze the maximum discount for that watch, then just take the time, seek out the web, or gray, sellers that meet your standards and start collecting prices out the door. We all buy differently. There's no right or wrong way to do this.

Wait! No, there is a wrong way. That would be to show up an an AD, take up the time and resources of the selling staff with no intention of even giving them a chance to offer a price, walk out stuffed with the ill gotten knowledge and buy online. From a human and business standpoint, that would be just plain rude and inconsiderate and boorish. I made my living in sales, so I'm sensitive to that sort of behavior. But, I'm sure it gets done every day. Please don't be that person.
    avusblue likes this.

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I definitely understand the appeal of purchasing from an authorized dealer and the value of the experience. I definitely would not say I’m looking for the bare bones lowest price, I understand paying premium for a service and I do consider the overhead of an AD. I have just had some experiences in the past where dealers have been somewhat standoffish. I am not afraid to having that “awkward” conversation of price/discounts because ultimately the sale will be made with both parties being comfortable or it won’t. My goal is to not waste time and to more so see whether we can both be happy.

A more accurate way for me to put it is I am asking if anyone out there had any ADs that they may deem respectful enough to build a relationship with for the future and who will be willing to work with me not only now but for years. I understand the variables associated with discounts based on model and brand and waitlists but I’m looking for that sense of cooperation that comes with the experience where we both feel it is money well spent. Thank you for giving a different perspective!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Recommended Tudor ADs

The challenge of developing a relationship in today's fine watch marketplace is the changing dynamic of what kinds of brick and mortar vendors are left standing. With more and more smaller, more intimate jewelry retailers being forced either out of offering lines such as Rolex/Tudor due to demands of volume and space, or in the extreme, forced out of business altogether, the 'main street/mom and pop' retailer that would generally lend itself to relationship selling is fast becoming extinct.

Larger chain retailers often don't have much continuity of staffing and so the sales clerk that worked with a client on the Tudor purchase may not still be employed when it comes time to buy the spouse the bauble for a life event. Sure, your name may be in the computer system as an ongoing customer, but it's not the same as showing up to the sales counter and 'old Herman' the owner remembers you when you purchased the engagement ring six years prior and will now cut you a deal on a Tudor GMT because of that loyalty.

Finding that retailing sweet spot may prove to be a challenge.

Thread Information